Coopers Community

Fermenting Chamber

ben 10

I use a chest freezer, with the lid on top.

My mother-in-law has a smallish sized freezer with a door like a fridge that I have my eye on because she does not use it much.  I figure it would be much easier to manoeuvre a FV into a freezer like this than the chest freezer.

15 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I haven’t but I am after one. They all seem to be bar sized or really big. I am after a small freezer just big enough for my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket without stacking 

I was looking for a bar freezer for my neighbour on Gumtree recently.

There were one or two that were 150 litres or so. Provided the shelves can be moved it might be the right size.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kincumber/fridges-freezers/fisher-paykel-153l-freezer-in-perfect-working-condition/1223243985
The problem is with some upright freezing is that the shelves are the cooling elements and can't be removed. The one above looks OK.

33 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I was looking for a bar freezer for my neighbour on Gumtree recently.

There were one or two that were 150 litres or so. Provided the shelves can be moved it might be the right size.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kincumber/fridges-freezers/fisher-paykel-153l-freezer-in-perfect-working-condition/1223243985
The problem is with some upright freezing is that the shelves are the cooling elements and can't be removed. The one above looks OK.

Yeah that’s pretty good. Nice work

On 7/13/2019 at 7:48 PM, Ben 10 said:

Hi all, has anyone used a vertical freezer for fermenting in? There are bar size and bigger. I have one SS FV that is stackable...

I've got verticle freezer (kelvinator) but the problem is the freeze bars go through 3 of the horizontal racks, so cannot be removed to fit in a 30L Carboy. Maybe a different brand might work.

Otherwise a verticle would work as well for fermenting as my back-breaker chest freezer where 20kg of FV needs to be lifted out. 

Cheers

On 7/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, Ben 10 said:

Hi all, has anyone used a vertical freezer for fermenting in? There are bar size and bigger. I have one SS FV that is stackable...

So how many fermenters do you want the vessel to hold? OR do you just want to brew larger batches?

Why a freezer if you're only wanting it for fermenting?

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Bigger? Chills down quicker for lagers and cold crash?

My experience with lagers is that they turn out better when they aren't quickly dropped down in temperature for the lagering phase, rather ramped down over a few days. The main advantage of a freezer is better insulation, which would be pretty useful up in FNQ. Other than that, it probably uses a bit less power when bringing the temp down the fractions of a degree during fermentation but I doubt it'd be noticed on a power bill. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I don't have my fridge set on the coldest setting, probably about 2/3 or 3/4. I cold condition at 1-2 degrees and it does it easily.

It probably takes about 24 hours to get there from 19 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a stand alone vertical  freezer for fermenting. 

I don’t have anything to compare it too but for example if I’m chilling wort down to pitching temp it takes maybe 45mins to drop it 10 degrees. I work from my office/garbage which has the freezer in, During the actual ferment i hear the thing flick on a few times over an entire day for maybe 5-10 mins to get it back to the desired temp.