Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But you don't do Duo Tight Fittings do you mate?  I have always ever only used SS clamps and barbs... thought had heard someone complaining about duo's not being that reliable even from brand new - I will write KL and see what they can do... very easy to put together but not much use if not pressure-tight hey!?

Water here comes from the skies mate...  and it seems to be ok at the mo why do you ask TwoDogs? 😝

Wow I never realised that it came from the sky 🤣🤣

No, I thought you had a water tank you draw from, that’s why I asked. 😀😀

I have a bit of both, duo-tights on the beer lines, no probs, but crimps on the gas, I don’t rate the duo-tights on the gas side, but from my experience in the industry I would use Festo Fittings on the gas ( good quality but not cheap ).

But, there is a method in my madness as in 2021 I will be delivering Training Courses in Pneumatics at SMC ( Pneumatics Company ) all around Oz, so will get some free gear from them to try out😜😜 Up here ☝️for thinking, down 👇there for dancing 😂😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

duo-tights on the beer lines,

So mate the Duos just firmly push on don't they -- so can you pull them back out - if you want to change the fitting?  Or will you buggggger up the fitting that way?

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

get some free gear from them to try out

Get a few extras of that expensive good quality Festo stuff mate and I will drop past for a few samples and drop off some All Grain Coaching Tips ; )

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So mate the Duos just firmly push on don't they

That's my experience.  

I have duotights on the beer and gas side.  Only issue I had was with the screw-in fitting onto the regulator (not the push-in side).  I tightened it up and problem solved.

If you push and hold in the collar of the push-in fitting the tube comes out easily.  I have pushed them back in on occasion, but the recommendation is to cut off the tube to remove the "teeth" marks on the tube and refit.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So mate the Duos just firmly push on don't they -- so can you pull them back out - if you want to change the fitting?  Or will you buggggger up the fitting that way?

Get a few extras of that expensive good quality Festo stuff mate and I will drop past for a few samples and drop off some All Grain Coaching Tips ; )

Hey @Bearded Burbler yes the Duotights just push in but remember they use 2 O rings (hence the name) so when you push in the tube do it gently and you should feel it go in once and then again as it goes past the 2nd O ring, some lube also helps. The end of the tube should be cut square and clean. To remove the tube you have to depress the outer collar as you withdraw the tube, otherwise you will destroy the locking mechanism. In my experience they work really well, they will leak though if you put a hard bend close to the fitting or have any tension on the Duotight fitting.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Hey @Bearded Burbler yes the Duotights just push in but remember they use 2 O rings (hence the name) so when you push in the tube do it gently and you should feel it go in once and then again as it goes past the 2nd O ring, some lube also helps. The end of the tube should be cut square and clean. To remove the tube you have to depress the outer collar as you withdraw the tube, otherwise you will destroy the locking mechanism. In my experience they work really well, they will leak though if you put a hard bend close to the fitting or have any tension on the Duotight fitting.

+1

I have removed gas lines many, many times from the screw on fittings by just pushing the collar back in and gently taking the tube out.  It helps to release any gas pressure first by pushing in the ball lock pin bit.  I regularly have to take my gas bottle to the other end of the brewery and use at a different pressure other than serving pressure.  In fact now I don't even re-cut the tube end before re-inserting and not had a leak yet.  Might start using the lube to assist with "O" ring longevity.  Got two gas bottles now so this process will be obsolete once I buy a second regulator and can have one each end of the brewery within reach of the gear that needs it.  Same with beer lines as I remove the tube from the fittings for cleaning regularly and no problems yet.  I have a few spares if one decides to let me down in the future though.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

Thanks very much @kmar92 KMar and @iBooz2 Boozer and @Shamus O'Sean SOS - very helpful information and will see what I can do to overcome my issues of leakage... some of the fittings behaved admirably... just the ones around the filter housing itself were where the problem was - will try doing the 'push the collar back in' and ease out and cut clean again... and re-insert... and if the fittings still bad - chase up KLand.

When you say push collar in - do you need to use some sort of device to circle the collar for even pressure to push it back in?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

When you say push collar in - do you need to use some sort of device to circle the collar for even pressure to push it back in?

You can do it with your fingernails.  If you have one of those fancy tube cutters from Kegland or such, it usually has a "C" shaped "tail".  This fits the collar perfectly for holding it in.

• Like 1

One more done and into keg - Black IPA of sorts - with an empty FV now.... clean for 2021's first beer ; )

image.thumb.png.9850c9fe393cee9313a1b61f0d658f20.png

Only three Beers in FVs yet to go to finish the Brewing campaign - 2 main into Kegs and 1 small FV with 7L extra wheat wort in a US05 sparkling ale  commando hopped with lovely fresh Mosaic Hoppage haha which will go into Coopers Largies in a cupppla days 😜

• Like 3

On 12/18/2020 at 4:42 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

One more done and into keg - Black IPA of sorts - with an empty FV now.... clean for 2021's first beer ; )

image.thumb.png.9850c9fe393cee9313a1b61f0d658f20.png

Only three Beers in FVs yet to go to finish the Brewing campaign - 2 main into Kegs and 1 small FV with 7L extra wheat wort in a US05 sparkling ale  commando hopped with lovely fresh Mosaic Hoppage haha which will go into Coopers Largies in a cupppla days 😜

coopers pet longnecks or glass ones you have drank already? putting a few aside for those stormy days again mate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

glass ones you have drank already? putting a few aside for those stormy days again mate?

Haha mate..... have been a bottler for many years before being a kegger... so got a few swags of good qual glass long necks that can be filled... 

All washed and capped waiting in cardboard boxes or crates so that they stay nice and clean.... 

Haha and as you say - a few bottles in the inventory will be good for those nasty stormy days when the kegs are all dry hey - well spotted ; )

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha mate..... have been a bottler for many years before being a kegger... so got a few swags of good qual glass long necks that can be filled... 

All washed and capped waiting in cardboard boxes or crates so that they stay nice and clean.... 

Haha and as you say - a few bottles in the inventory will be good for those nasty stormy days when the kegs are all dry hey - well spotted ; )

put them away and try to forget about them that's the hardest part i will be like that when start kegging next week it fits 4 will probably be a while before has that many in it full

edit just realised that dark one your kegging has a lot of trub in it is that the brew you dumped on the slurry? almost at the tap

Edited by jamiek86

Kegged the Hefeweizen - photo below immediately before start.  Here no pressure ferment - just the good ol' standard methodology....

The CO2 bottle was used for final clean/rinse of the keg - did not need after that too much as added 20g sugar for a brief final ferment in the keg to ensure we have plenty of Hefe which will also get rid of oxygen.... better no Oxy as this keg will stay out in ambient for about 7 days...  

When I snorted the fumes off the trub left behind there may have been a hint of the elusive banana haha - we'll know more when it comes out of the keg... am more a cloves person meself.... anyway let's see how it all turns out ; )

image.thumb.png.65142d4ee4fe5199c9ff3015c16c5dce.png

Bit disappointed not enough volume for some bottles - purposely went on low-conservative side in the SS FV as did not want froth debacle that can happen with a vigorous Weissbier brew - and in the end needed every last drop for the keg.  Cheers all ye Brewers😬!

P.S. Woohoo - only got one more to go tomorrow and am done brewing for the year ; )

• Like 2

Getting ready for kegging tomorrow - think @iBooz2 Boozer put me onto this upside down pressure test...  thanks mate.... and then I noticed where the Keg I guess may have been originally made... Hoover Universal Dyersburg Tennessee?  @Norris! Norris you know anything about this place mate haha?!

Good news is so far no bubbles : )

Should be ok for a top up with PFV Lager tomorrow all going to plan 😆

image.thumb.png.c394d0057d49cfc65eaec38a07c9b94e.png

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That is a beaut looking pressure FV - what is its origin KMar?

It was an early Christmas present to myself! 29lt kegmenter from Kegland and 2 brews on I am very happy with it. Pricier of course than the plastic pressure fermenters but with a tri - clover lid it is easier to seal consistently. As you know @Bearded Burbler the plastic jobs can be a chore to get a consistently good seal with and this one being stainless it should have an unlimited life. Downside I guess is that you can't see what is going on inside but a pressure gauge with spunding valve and gravity readings give you the information you need about the inner workings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kegged the Hefeweizen - photo below immediately before start.  Here no pressure ferment - just the good ol' standard methodology....

The CO2 bottle was used for final clean/rinse of the keg - did not need after that too much as added 20g sugar for a brief final ferment in the keg to ensure we have plenty of Hefe which will also get rid of oxygen.... better no Oxy as this keg will stay out in ambient for about 7 days...  

When I snorted the fumes off the trub left behind there may have been a hint of the elusive banana haha - we'll know more when it comes out of the keg... am more a cloves person meself.... anyway let's see how it all turns out ; )

image.thumb.png.65142d4ee4fe5199c9ff3015c16c5dce.png

Bit disappointed not enough volume for some bottles - purposely went on low-conservative side in the SS FV as did not want froth debacle that can happen with a vigorous Weissbier brew - and in the end needed every last drop for the keg.  Cheers all ye Brewers😬!

P.S. Woohoo - only got one more to go tomorrow and am done brewing for the year ; )

It fermented out fine i see,mate. Good stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

It fermented out fine i see,mate. Good stuff

Blaaardy Beauty thanks Greeny!  Fermented out fine --> I think so mate - Proof will be in the final brew - but I think we are on the right track!

So thanks very much for your help mate in getting the revitalisation of the latent  W3068 Library Yeast sample going mate.... 

Am, along with HW Man @Pale Man (haha) very keen to see how it all develops - hopefully will be ok @Greeny1525229549 Greeny ; )

Cheers and thanks again - will report back! 

Kegged my Hundreth Batch on Friday.  Got a couple of bottles out of it too.

I was really disappointed in the haziness of it.  Done with Kveik Voss yeast.  Once ferment was finished, I could see the effect of the yeast dropping, so I thought this would clear up really well with my usual 1°C Isinglass and Polyclar regime.  Not so.  If anything, it got hazier.  

Could it have been the yeast?

Could it have been the 560g of Wheat Malt and 130g of Flaked Barley?

Normally on kegging/bottling day it is clear-as in the bottles.  Not this day:

IMG_2108.JPG.34256f8f483d93a94b52ea8376b4b684.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Last beer now kegged.... Lager in Pressure Fermenter - via Filter - into keg... the Duo-Tight filter housig valve fitting leaks like a sieve - am trying to resolve with Kegland... did all they ask... think there is one of the O Rings missing... not happy Jan... ah well...

Most of the beer is now in the keg and the Brewery Floor got a wash : |

Cheers Keg Lords

image.thumb.png.00155d765edfebca544c69aeed867590.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1