Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

After reading some info on this site I and having 'sticky' taps if I didn't use one for a couple of days - and with 4 taps and 1 + 1 occasional drinker, that's not difficult to achieve - I saved up and got some Nuka taps from Kegland. I was told from elsewhere it was screw one off, screw one on but that turns out to be not the case. The springs for the Nukas are about 1/3 longer.

So I figured while I am ordering those, I'd get some bling. But I am a long way from being able to drop $30 per tap handle for the fancy 'tombstone' ones, (or whatever they were called) so I got some chromed brass handles.

So my fridge has gone from this...

Kegerator 2.jpg

To this...

New Taps.jpg

Also I got a nitro/Guinness tap to try; without nitro I wasn't expecting much except maybe very heady beers but I am impressed. On one of my new beers, (been in there 4 days I think) it poured about 1/3 glass of head with the nice 'cascade' effect you get in Guinness and topped up nicely to a smooth and creamy head. Not quite proper-poured Guinness but close, smooth on the tongue and even though the beer is young, good retention.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 5

On 9/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, NewBrews said:

You're serious with the CO2 bottle mate! Guessing you don't leave that one hooked up when testing new lines!

You running a pub?

Ha ha that is the Nitro Bottle... that was Covid failsafe planning ahead ha ha.... but trying to run it down to hand back to BOC so is being used for just about everything ha ha.

And yes ha ha - running BBBB Enterprises.... Burbler Brewing Baking and Butchery Quality Foodstuffs ha ha.... In Germany Beer is classed as Nahrungsmittel - Food!!!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

After reading some info on this site I and having 'sticky' taps if I didn't use one for a couple of days - and with 4 taps and 1 + 1 occasional drinker, that's not difficult to achieve - I saved up and got some Nuka taps from Kegland. I was told from elsewhere it was screw one off, screw one on but that turns out to be not the case. The springs for the Nukas are about 1/3 longer.

So I figured while I am ordering those, I'd get some bling. But I am a long way from being able to drop $30 per tap handle for the fancy 'tombstone' ones, (or whatever they were called) so I got some chromed brass handles.

So my fridge has gone from this...

Kegerator 2.jpg

To this...

New Taps.jpg

Also I got a nitro/Guinness tap to try; without nitro I wasn't expecting much except maybe very heady beers but I am impressed. On one of my new beers, (been in there 4 days I think) it poured about 1/3 glass of head with the nice 'cascade' effect you get in Guinness and topped up nicely to a smooth and creamy head. Not quite proper-poured Guinness but close, smooth on the tongue and even though the beer is young, good retention.

Very nice JM.

Kegged my English Porter on Friday last week.

FG was 1.018, so a fair few points off.

No spot free in the kegerator.

Took a photo of the transfer method.

• 8mm OD x 5mm ID beer hose. 
  • Pushed into 2 inches of bottling wand at fermenter tap end. 
  • Beer disconnect to beer-out post.  Although, in this case the beer is going in. 
  • Gas disconnect on gas-in post to allow the CO2 gas (filled via purging 19L of starsan) keg to exit

IMG_1924.JPG.1aa4d3a0318f5c0ea5f9d1d9dfb09d50.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Took a photo of the transfer method.

Shamus that is really nice going mate...  seriously good stuff.

One quick question... how did you get the beer hose over the bottling wand section that goes into the Coops FV tap?

On 9/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

8mm OD x 5mm ID beer hose.

Kegged a red ale today which is on high pressure til tomorrow morning. There's a keg of pilsner already in there from last week that's been carbonating on serving pressure as well, so two on tap as of tomorrow night. Got a pale ale to ferment when I get a starter made up and also need to brew another batch for the other fermenter, probably another pilsner. 

I haven't been around here much lately but still brewing, smoking bacon and playing golf. Been doing a bit around the house lately, next job for me is renovating the lawn, which is basically just aeration and top dressing this year. Been sidetracked looking up other stuff online and keep forgetting to check the forum 🤣

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't been around here much lately but still brewing, smoking bacon and playing golf. Been doing a bit around the house lately, next job for me is renovating the lawn, which is basically just aeration and top dressing this year. Been sidetracked looking up other stuff online and keep forgetting to check the forum 🤣

Im a bit the same of late but mine is Im building a house so most of my time is devoted to that. still brewing, growing veg, smoking bacon and reading heaps of brewing/horticulture literature.

The forum has been put on the back seat in this phase.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

??????? In the words of the worst politician ever..... “please explain!”

I was just taking the opportunity to try to make a joke by contrasting both of your huge efforts by using the term slacker.

I mean golf, bacon, house building...I smoke and drink, so not only was it funny in its contrast but it highlighted my frustration with my own laziness by my use of term Slacker. 

How is that for an explanation. Now excuse me as I have a smoke and drink and cry into my glass as my analysis cut too deep. 

• Haha 3

The term I was looking for was ironic! Wrote all that and all I had to say was "irony". Oh well, the main thing is my beer tastes pretty good, it had a slight salty taste from the tears that blended well with the other ingredients. 

Good brewing

Norris

• Haha 4

I like to combine my smoking (or vaping now) and drinking with golf. It makes the frustration of a terrible shot unpredictable. I could either laugh my arse off at it or want to fight a tree. I've never gone full John Daly though, because I can't afford a whole new bag of clubs yet.

Maybe I can win a multi on tonight's footy and kickstart my savings for new irons, as in all seriousness I do want new ones. Will go get custom fitted for them too. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

And when you say Ironic, you don’t mean the Alanis Morisette type of Ironic

The only irony about that song is there's no irony in it. Clearly nobody said, "No!" to any of her "Isn't it ironic" phrases. 😄 Now that song is just an epitaph on the tombstone of modern education. 😄 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How much time before my gas bottle runs out?  It has been like this for a day.  I had it on 35psi yesterday fast carbing a keg.  The gas bottle reg has been dropping for 3-4 days now.

Am v interested in an answer to this too mate... great question tx SOS... 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegging question:

How much time before my gas bottle runs out?  It has been like this for a day.  I had it on 35psi yesterday fast carbing a keg.  The gas bottle reg has been dropping for 3-4 days now.

Mine has been like that for a week - or at least I noticed it a bit over a week back.

I'm waiting for beer to stop flowing basically. Full 2.6kg cylinder sitting waiting but I am curious to see how long it goes. I think the beer pressure has dropped a little but I'd had a few at the club last night so not sure.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Hairy said:

They always run out at the most inconvenient moment.

If you have people coming over for a Sunday BBQ, it will run out late Saturday night.

Living in the scrub yer gotta have backup... Covid did bring on the inventory a bit ; )

image.thumb.png.af109da69963d510350c91a661fbf790.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3