Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Yes, if I have no kegerator space I just purge then leave the gas on for a couple of hours or whatever, then disconnect it and let it sit. They won't carbonate on serving pressure at room temperature anyway and I don't see much point leaving it there at high pressure wasting gas when it's perfectly fine without it. 

By the time the next keg is filled the kegerator will have two spaces available since the current beer on tap will be long gone by then. In this case I'll purge and put the keg in there on serving pressure to keep it cold (I cold crash and fill them cold) and carbonate it. If all goes to plan the next one should be ready a week later and it can have the same treatment while I start drinking the first one. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 8:31 PM, MUZZY said:

...Let's just see if I can actually put my hand in my pocket first and actually buy the initial keg equipment. I'm sure I'm part Scottish. 💰💰😁

Then don't bother looking in your wallet. Only moths in there. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't have a wallet. Those things cost money.

Hopefully there is enough in that stash under the bed to fund the planned keg setup. 😜

P.S. I knew you'd end up in the keg space eventually. 😉

A good move you won't regret.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Hopefully there is enough in that stash under the bed to fund the planned keg setup. 😜

P.S. I knew you'd end up in the keg space eventually. 😉

A good move you won't regret.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hahaha. I'm still procrastinating, Lusty.
In all honesty the initial cost isn't that much ($162) and that has already been offset on the money I've saved over 3 years of home brewing compared to buying beer in that time. My reluctance comes from whether I really need it or not. I can picture kegging equipment being stored in the garage along with the fairy floss maker, Nutribulllet, the K-Tel Hot Dog machine and the Chuck Connors endorsed home gym equipment.

• Haha 3

On 11/23/2020 at 5:58 AM, Popo said:

Nah. That's where your bottles will end up. 

Agree with Popo - @MUZZY once you are on... the bottles will be the things in the shed... or in the extra extra fridge for lagering ; )

Just a quick tip - if you put your bottles in the shed - store them clean, dry, capped. and in boxes dust free... for use in the future 😆

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Bottles, what are they? Oh yea for the dregs of your fermenter after 19 litres have gone in a keg.

Haha you know PM mate when I was bottling I was going.... yer right you dirty Keg Lords.... nothing wrong with bottling...

And watched all the posts about losing whole bottles of CO2 and not getting carbonation right etc etch with a wry smile...

Now I am the one sweating about the fact I cannot get a small keg carbed right hahaha....

I still like bottles... and have been discovering a few beauties lurking in the larder... drank one last night was gold... hope I can find another of same so I can post - was like from 6 months ago and was just amaaaaazeballs to quote my mate @Norris! Norris hahaha!

But hey - yeah - is easier to fill one large keg and one small one rather than 385,675.3 bottles or so it seemed in number doing it yerself hahaha😆

Haha hey look at the good old days...image.thumb.png.5df17886869cb6e343fbdeb14ea767fb.pngno

No need for gas bottles, regulators, lines, o-rings, worries about oxidation... keg freezers... blahblahblahKegLordsblahblah.... just discrete reasonable sized volume units with ease of transportation sharing and consumption haha!?

image.thumb.png.bfddb6ae5c9bc7645144a98bd7b32d30.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha you know PM mate when I was bottling I was going.... yer right you dirty Keg Lords.... nothing wrong with bottling...

And watched all the posts about losing whole bottles of CO2 and not getting carbonation right etc etch with a wry smile...

Now I am the one sweating about the fact I cannot get a small keg carbed right hahaha....

I still like bottles... and have been discovering a few beauties lurking in the larder... drank one last night was gold... hope I can find another of same so I can post - was like from 6 months ago and was just amaaaaazeballs to quote my mate @Norris! Norris hahaha!

But hey - yeah - is easier to fill one large keg and one small one rather than 385,675.3 bottles or so it seemed in number doing it yerself hahaha😆

Haha hey look at the good old days...image.thumb.png.5df17886869cb6e343fbdeb14ea767fb.pngno

No need for gas bottles, regulators, lines, o-rings, worries about oxidation... keg freezers... blahblahblahKegLordsblahblah.... just discrete reasonable sized volume units with ease of transportation sharing and consumption haha!?

image.thumb.png.bfddb6ae5c9bc7645144a98bd7b32d30.png

Yeah I know BB just having a lend. I wouldn't be brewing without first being able to bottle. I'm just really enjoying my kegging at the moment. I've been very lucky I haven't had a problem but that's been through some great guidence and advice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pale Man said:

Yeah I know BB just having a lend. I wouldn't be brewing without first being able to bottle. I'm just really enjoying my kegging at the moment. I've been very lucky I haven't had a problem but that's been through some great guidance and advice. 

Truly spoken PM!

And enjoy the kegging mate.... there is no doubt it can provide some truly beautiful outcomes! 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just put the next 2 brews into kegs and on gas. They are:

My next XPA clone attempt. This has LME and DME - 1st time I've mixed them.

image.thumb.png.578079b48fd2d74b7b3067c9dee14b11.png

And something I am calling Amber IPA - hoping the Amber LME and Golden Promise go well together. The light crystal is actually the LC from the XPA added to the mash, seeing it wasn't mashed in the XPA.

image.thumb.png.f51e1c98e52cfd35faa783f321dd7e2d.png

They will both be stronger than shown as they have the carb enzyme added. Not sure of the effect of the pre-used crystal but both had OG around 1.066 and finished around 1.003 so maybe 8.4%? Still getting used to trying to use less fermentables to counter the extra ABV of the enzyme. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Something to look forward to mate for Christmas 😋

Yeah mate, plus a Stone & Wood Clone & Little Creatures Clone, but  I have a few discs in my back rooted now & on some pretty decent meds, so have to watch my drinking. Went to visit my old man in hospital today, had a knee replacement, high as a kite on morphene, good sh$t that stuff 🤪🤪

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have a few discs in my back rooted now

No good sad to hear it mate hoping you can get some good help on that back mate.... if your intake needs to be cut mate - at least you can have one or two of a GOOD beer mate!  ; )

• Like 3

So it's Production Time at Burbler Brewing.... here kegging the cold crashed Rye... Full small keg just being CO2 purged and a reasonable few Litres in the Big Keg following....

Then the FV can be used for the Black waiting patiently for it in the SS Vessel to the right...

image.thumb.png.86b2914f4e804a74e36368fa1a71df2b.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So it's Production Time at Burbler Brewing.... here kegging the cold crashed Rye... Full small keg just being CO2 purged and a reasonable few Litres in the Big Keg following....

Then the FV can be used for the Black waiting patiently for it in the SS Vessel to the right...

image.thumb.png.86b2914f4e804a74e36368fa1a71df2b.png

Hope the Real Estate nazis don’t make a surprise Sunday arvo house inspection 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hope the Real Estate nazis don’t make a surprise Sunday arvo house inspection 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hahaha Luvyerwork Reddler!!!

Am in a bit better shape now mate.... And I could be just making...... say Jam?

Hop Jam !?!    A double batch of Hop and Barley Malt Jam 🥳

image.png.b0437ad95cafe6e658aee64ebe0e15f4.png

• Haha 2

Back on Production - kegged the Pils - making room for Lager pitch onto the W34/70 Slurry ; )

image.thumb.png.7d5929ad995c8f6a7056bf4f589038f9.png

Tried the new filtering system - the duo-tight fitting with the valve in it leaked terribly.... anyone else had issues with duo's ?

Just got the Filter and some orange Plazzi fittings today - seemed to seal better than the SS ones I had (pictured above prior to change-out). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Back on Production - kegged the Pils - making room for Lager pitch onto the W34/70 Slurry ; )

image.thumb.png.7d5929ad995c8f6a7056bf4f589038f9.png

Tried the new filtering system - the duo-tight fitting with the valve in it leaked terribly.... anyone else had issues with duo's ?

Just got the Filter and some orange Plazzi fittings today - seemed to seal better than the SS ones I had (pictured above prior to change-out). 

I ordered the plastic ones BB, because I heard a few people had troubles with the SS fittings. 
‘Better hurry up, I heard the Real Estate are on their way 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I ordered the plastic ones BB, because I heard a few people had troubles with the SS fittings. 
‘Better hurry up, I heard the Real Estate are on their way 😂😂😂😂

Well done Reddler - you did your research!  What about far genn duo tight fittings?  Some worked out ok - but the one off me water filter that had the valve in it - pure rubbish... pissssssssssssed out fluid like it was a tap!?  Had to hold it in with one hand while operating the Harris Reg to control the flow... 

18 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well done Reddler - you did your research!  What about far genn duo tight fittings?  Some worked out ok - but the one off me water filter that had the valve in it - pure rubbish... pissssssssssssed out fluid like it was a tap!?  Had to hold it in with one hand while operating the Harris Reg to control the flow... 

Ok, that’s a bummer about the filter.

Your going hard on the brews to build the stocks up mate ? 
Is the water sh&t house down your way ? 

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

Ok, that’s a bummer about the filter.

Your going hard on the brews to build the stocks up mate ? 
Is the water sh&t house down your way ? 

But you don't do Duo Tight Fittings do you mate?  I have always ever only used SS clamps and barbs... thought had heard someone complaining about duo's not being that reliable even from brand new - I will write KL and see what they can do... very easy to put together but not much use if not pressure-tight hey!?

Water here comes from the skies mate...  and it seems to be ok at the mo why do you ask TwoDogs? 😝