Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

On 10/2/2020 at 5:25 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've never gone full John Daly though, because I can't afford a whole new bag of clubs yet.

Maybe I can win a multi on tonight's footy and kickstart my savings for new irons, as in all seriousness I do want new ones. Will go get custom fitted for them too. 

Hahaha, I feel your pain. I have been playing disc golf the last 2 weekend's and it is pretty awesome and the frustration level is low.

When I got my irons fitted to me, they were 2nd hand, my golf game skyrocketed and The game became fun again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

Hahaha, I feel your pain. I have been playing disc golf the last 2 weekend's and it is pretty awesome and the frustration level is low.

When I got my irons fitted to me, they were 2nd hand, my golf game skyrocketed and The game became fun again.

Yeah once I save some money I'll be going to get it done. I'm happy with my driver and woods so just doing the irons. 

Although if I could play like I did recently when I went 1 under through 6 holes all the time, I'd probably not bother 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Although if I could play like I did recently when I went 1 under through 6 holes all the time, I'd probably not bother 😂

Nice game! To give you an idea, I don't really keep score but track by who won the hole, however that scoring system works. I do that because when I have a bad hole, it is really bad. Like lose 2 balls on one hole bad, while spending 10 minutes looking for each one. That helps to keep me motivated and then I can work on why I lost those holes and the strokes will get fixed from there.

Either way, I just like walking the courses and being outside.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Norris! said:

Nice game! To give you an idea, I don't really keep score but track by who won the hole, however that scoring system works. I do that because when I have a bad hole, it is really bad. Like lose 2 balls on one hole bad, while spending 10 minutes looking for each one. That helps to keep me motivated and then I can work on why I lost those holes and the strokes will get fixed from there.

Either way, I just like walking the courses and being outside.

That's called match play. I don't really play it much because I don't understand how it works with handicaps. Most rounds  I play are either Stableford or stroke play. 

That game I was 4 over after 9 holes, fell away a bit on the back 9 but still ended up +15 for the round. I'm slowly working out what works for me. Had a horrendous front 9 on Sunday last week, but made a couple of small adjustments and played much better on the back. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's called match play. I don't really play it much because I don't understand how it works with handicaps. Most rounds  I play are either Stableford or stroke play. 

That game I was 4 over after 9 holes, fell away a bit on the back 9 but still ended up +15 for the round. I'm slowly working out what works for me. Had a horrendous front 9 on Sunday last week, but made a couple of small adjustments and played much better on the back. 

Do you play a stubby per hole, my mates & I used to in my younger years 🤣🤣🍺🍺

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Do you play a stubby per hole, my mates & I used to in my younger years 🤣🤣🍺🍺

Well not really as I don't play it 😂 I mainly play against myself, always trying to beat my best score, although I'm usually playing in a group as well. I have a club comp round tomorrow, it's Stableford but my handicap is artificially low thanks to that +15 round so I probably won't get anywhere near the top of the leaderboard. The handicap is going up slowly to where it probably should be though. 

• Like 1

Kegged my session pils at the weekend and got 3 tallies as well. Tasted what was left in the wand at the end. Was not expecting much from this but was surprised its full of flavour rather than watery. Interested to taste again when carbed.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Titan said:

Kegged my session pils at the weekend and got 3 tallies as well

I got a couple of bottles from my amber but the dark had a few white flecks drifting around on top so I left that behind. Kinda looked like the start of a pellicle.  Time for a sterilise for that FV. 😄

Kegged the Christopher Columbus (thanks for the Columbus inspiration Norris old Bud @Norris!) IPA today - seemed a dreadful shame to be throwing the Late Hops out as they smelled so GooooooooD.

The IPA is now on Gas so will be nice to see how it goes...  and is good to be building up the inventory again!

image.thumb.png.e129b76b9fc30f81e263779178c9c7fc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kegged the Christopher Columbus (thanks for the Columbus inspiration Norris old Bud @Norris!) IPA today - seemed a dreadful shame to be throwing the Late Hops out as they smelled so GooooooooD.

The IPA is now on Gas so will be nice to see how it goes...  and is good to be building up the inventory again!

Cannot wait for the tasting.

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Couldn't find a bigger bottle BB  ?

• Haha 1

AFAIK BB said that's a nitro bottle - might be wrong but he's exposed his big one prior to this... 😄

Meanwhile, it's not filling a keg just yet but I've got everything clean and ready for the next batches, including working out how to get the filter not to leak! (hint: plumbers tape on the cannister and multigrips on the inlet & outlet. 😄 

Also planning an Adelaide trip to fill my 6kg gas - it finally ran out last night and I put the 2.6 kg emergency on. Now I'm wondering, when I get the 6kg home, do I swap out the 2.6kg or leave it to run out... If I leave it the next gas-up trip will be sooner, so I think I will swap back in the 6kg and use the 2.6kg in between gas-out on the larger one. Maybe I can time it so, in 4 or 5 6kg refills, I can do both on the same trip? 😄

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegging question:

How much time before my gas bottle runs out?  It has been like this for a day.  I had it on 35psi yesterday fast carbing a keg.  The gas bottle reg has been dropping for 3-4 days now.

IMG_1956.JPG.e9737bbbc7805aab55296e985534ecc2.JPG

Answer three days and about 6L of beer and soda water.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Answer three days and about 6L of beer and soda water.

I got quite a bit longer than that. Although I waited until the beer side dropped to 0. That happened after I put 2 new kegs on the gas (after turning the others off) and shook them around a bit - I figured the gas side might be reading 0 but while the keg side showed pressure it just meant I still had pressure.

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I got quite a bit longer than that. Although I waited until the beer side dropped to 0. That happened after I put 2 new kegs on the gas (after turning the others off) and shook them around a bit - I figured the gas side might be reading 0 but while the keg side showed pressure it just meant I still had pressure.

Admittedly, I did not run it until the beer stopped coming out of the tap. Keg side gauge read about 4psi. It was taking a long time to fill a glass and carbonation seemed to be going down.  So I hooked up my spare. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Admittedly, I did not run it until the beer stopped coming out of the tap. Keg side gauge read about 4psi. It was taking a long time to fill a glass and carbonation seemed to be going down.  So I hooked up my spare. 

Mine had slowed a little, but as mentioned I then hooked up 2 new kegs - next day I went to pour beers and saw the keg side had dropped to 0 as well. 

So it's better than I thought from previous comments a few months back and because people were saying they were 'suddenly' out of gas. I figure I'll put a reminder in my phone to check 1 per week as to how the gas side is going so I have some warning about running out. I was kinda expecting to suddenly find I couldn't pour beer but it was like 2 weeks since I noticed the gas side was down around a couple of PSI.

• Like 1

Second keg filled for me tonight. Coopers Draught Can with some mashed grains and nice hops.

The stress going from bottling is not worth thinking about. It's so easy. If you can get a big arse uncomplicated fridge the battle is won. Drill a hole here, there. Connect taps, lines. Ferment beer properly ( as you do )

Decant into keg. Gas beer.

Simples. 

aleks-simplesness.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Couldn't find a bigger bottle BB  ?

Ha ha too much is barely enough at Burbler Brewing!?!     ; )

And make sure you have got a reasonable back-up (see below ha ha)

I have three big gas bottles for me stove and heaters that ELGAS comes out in the paddock and fills them up... maybe we should petition Scomo for a fleet of C02 trucks... that can drive around and fill up our C02 bottles d'yer think?

image.thumb.png.06d9528677c0a46d27ab370337abe54b.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

And fortunately for me I was able to get another 100kg of Malt last weekend ; )

I have to pack it all away properly still - but in the meantime the Larder smells like a Maltsters and is just beautiful to walk into... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ghetto keg day the other day. Found out I've lost my syphon tube after I'd cleaned everything. Had a spare disconnect, some line and cut a part of a bottling wand off as it fits inside the tap well. Beer line was loose inside the wand though, so I got a clamp and lighter to reduce its size. Was pretty much a closed transfer until I checked the volume in the keg. Took a while to transfer but worked!

IMG20201011123914.jpg

• Like 3