Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

3 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

This was on extremely low pressure, as I was only cleaning the lines. But even at 12psi, this is what it was doing sometimes.

Kinda looks similar if mine had that fall - but so far it's been into a glass so I only see maybe an inch of it.

Just now, Journeyman said:

On the dodgy tap of mine, it's not that smooth a pour - definitely gonna check it in about 20 beers.  😄 

Yep, mine were pretty bad until I found this issue.

If I put the new seal back in and find it goes bad again, I will use the taps without the seal. After tightening it without the seal, I blew back into the tap and hardly any air came out between the tap faucet and spout, so it's certainly not going to draw air in (venturi effect), or leak. Either way, I am intrigued to see if this is your issue too.

Mitch.

Just now, Journeyman said:

Just remembered, I have an empty tap at present. I can swap the XPA out to that and pull the tap. Will check this arvo.

Remember, you can get to this seal literally by unscrewing the spout and pulling it out. The tap doesn't need to come off the shank.

Just disconnect your liquid disconnect, let the pressure out, unsrew the spout and pull her out, then put the spout back on and connect everything back up.

Just remember to pour off a small glass after doing this to get the air out of your lines.

4 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

For reference, this is the washer/o-ring I am talking about.

image.png.f00937c09bb3040a93f64b10d678ae16.png

I have had this happen to both my taps at different times. The nozzle washer split or deteriorated and caused an interruption to flow and a lot of foaming. Changing the washer fixed it. I'm waiting for it to happen again.

Now I try to limit the amount of times I remove the nozzle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My tap pour is very similar to your earlier video.  However, although mine are also Intertaps they are a different design where the seal is at the bottom of the thread of the nozzle.  Unscrewed it just before and it is in perfect condition.  I think I just need a slightly shorter line on this tap.

It's Kegging Time.... 2020... ha ha... And the cold crashed Choc is going through a transfusion into the Keg... with a bit of nitro purging the keg air space.... sterile egg-cup over the bubbler vent hole... with enough left over for a 1125 Swingtop for one of me cobbers who cannot make it to the fresh poured keg fest...

image.png.dd57183e8f5c511496b9b34779700f91.png   image.png.aa9500c9a85f6d25d05d118d422a272a.png

Very clean out of the SS FV as it was racked there out of the Coopers Plazzi for some chillin' time....  and most of the yeast cake remained in the Coops Plazzi... which was cleaned and put to good use for another brew...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3

Keggers all and @Red devil 44 Red who I know has used second handies... can any of you good Kegging Brewers advise of the importance or otherwise of what appears to be thin plastic washer on this second hand Corny I want to bring into usage pretty soon?

Leave dodgy looking washer in place?  Replace?

Any guidance or help from anyone with experience in this area would be appreciated - thanks in advance......... Cheers. BB

image.png.9e1d3f2cb33d50247f8534ff256a5548.png

image.png.38eaadbe166ca4c61792d846fd621932.png

Not a kegger myself, but work around pressurised equipment.

If you have kegs then I'm assuming you have C02. Pump them up & leak test with some soapy water is what I would do.

If they are 2nd hand then it would be prudent to obtain at least some replacement seals/washers/grommets as a stand by safety measure.

On a peronal note, if I scored some cheap kegs I would retrofit them.... otherwise just buy new ones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

If they are 2nd hand then it would be prudent to obtain at least some replacement seals/washers/grommets as a stand by safety measure.

On a peronal note, if I scored some cheap kegs I would retrofit them.... otherwise just buy new ones 

Agree completely Cob.  And thanks for the advice.  Yeah these are from CPB with refurbished Lids, PRVS, and Posts.  But need cleaning.  And the black rubber is perishing which is a pain as it rubs off on lots.  Anyway... yeah all new Gas n Liq posts, Lids, Lid Rubbers and the PRVs came with... just the old keg dip tubes and kegs themselves...  just am wondering about the washer... yeah definitely will need to pressure test them.  Tx mate. Appreciate it.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

Not a good look if the rubber is 'rubbing off'.

Spend some 'hard earned' on neoprene gaskets & 'O' rings etc. for longevity.

I used to be around all that gear 20+ yrs ago. Never realised what I had before me 'til  now😖 

• Like 1

FWIIW I have quite a few second hand kegs.  None have the red coloured washer on them.  I have taken them all apart, washed, sanitised, lubricated and pressure tested.  No issues.  Cannot really help on the red washer other than not having any on mine.  That makes me wonder if it is necessary.

If the keg came from CPB maybe check in with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got 2 x 2nd hand kegs from CPB a week back. Just checked and no red plastic on my posts.

I'm wondering if they might be converted Pin Locks and that is a gasket to ensure a fit? Doesn't sound like what CPB would do though. Any info on the kegs themselves? Coca cola ones are pin locks I think so if they are those they have been converted - not necessarily a bad thing - I have 3 of them from the ebay guy, triplez and they work great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Not a good look if the rubber is 'rubbing off'.

Yeah am talking about the Black Rubber Casing around the SS Keg Body - not the posts - lid rubber - o-rings etc... its the black rubber which makes up the "Handles" and the "Feet".... just surface perishing and leaves black shitttttt everywhere on floor tiles and when pick up with rubber gloves...  PITA... not real happy with that.

13 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Im sure CPB will be very helpful with information. They seem to be a reputable business.

Never a truer word was spoken Cappo - thanks mate.  CPB have got back to me and are suggesting sending some replacement bits.  And yes I agree they are a good lot.

Think @Ben 10 Benny put me onto them an age ago...

Sent a note or two to them last night with Pics before jumping on tonight - so good suggestions Brewers - and followed your advice in advance ; )

And CPB sent me a nice note 5 hours ago so hopefully can sort it with some new spares...

Thanks All

• Like 3