Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Yeah I have some real ones Dad gave me when I moved out along with some other tools and a soldering iron. I usually use a shifter on those because it's sitting there as I use it to tighten the regulator nut. I'll inherit the rest of his workshop one day, but hopefully that day is as long away as possible. 

• Like 3

Fk sake. Found another leak. Again a dodgy duo tight fitting with a wonky thread.  Did the soap test and it’s a pretty small leak so I’ve turned off the gas fully. I fitted one of those barb type fittings and it seems to have worked. Does everyone use those barb fittings and clamps ?

duotight is beyond crap 

• Like 1

No barbs here. I don't like how stuck in place they are in the way that you can't swivel the disconnect around on them if needed. Plus replacing lines is more of a pain in the arse.

My fittings aren't duotight. They're John guest and work very well. Still got the original fittings from when I started kegging. As long as the thread is straight and tight, and the line is cut off square at the end, they don't leak. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I think you can get them, but I just got a barbed manifold since I'll never really be removing those lines. If I do it will be to replace them so cutting them up to get them off won't be a problem. The push in fittings are only on the disconnects themselves in my setup. 

The splitters I originally used were JG and were fine from a leak perspective. However, I much prefer the manifold for ease of use. If I put a new keg in and want to gas it on high pressure I can just turn the gas off to the other kegs with the flick of a lever so they don't get over carbonated.

The manifold also allows for a spare gas line as it's a four way one and only 3 serving kegs, so I can pressurise them for cleaning, or purge them outside the fridge. I do this if I'm not needing to clean the beer line/tap as well (I just empty the keg outside with a spare liquid disconnect without a fitting on it). Purging I always do outside the fridge because it's just easier than trying to access the PRV with a bunch of lines in the way. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Cheers gents. I’m off to the lhbs tomorrow so will pick some up. Do you guys recommend a manifold in conjunction with these fittings or does John Guest have a reliable splitter fitting 

Although I only have just begun - I would recommend same as @Otto Von Blotto in getting a barbed fitting manifold.  Once the lines are crimped on well I reckon you aren't going to have the leakage issues that the other splitters may unfortunately generate.  You have good control over where your gas is going, and you can get an extra line for cleaning/purging.

• Like 1

I have 2 manifolds in my keezer.

One is a 4 way manifold for my 4 kegs.

The other is a 2 way manifold for gassing up & cleaning kegs.

I upgraded to a dual stage regulator some months ago which means I can be drinking say 2 kegs, whilst gassing up the other 2 using the secondary manifold. I’m glad I did this modification because I have no messing around now, I think there are pics I posted in the Show us your brewing set-up thread.

Cheers Red Devil 

• Thanks 1

Not usually a fan of plastic thread fittings like on the duotights but so far so good hopefully don’t get any issues with them down the track.

Feel your pain though losing a bottle of gas and then the knock on effect from that👎

One thing I can say about plastic threads is to try and inspect them first and be super careful when doing them up so they don’t cross thread ( super easy to do), I use my own tools as well when assembling DIY stuff, the supplied tools are usually not much cop.

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 1

@PaddyBrew2 I use one of these one mine, which is called a shifter or "adjustable wrench". Go to Bunnings and ask where the shifters are, they will know what you are talking about.

image.jpeg.e3eaf26e08280d5f5380545a1252b886.jpeg

In saying that, I have seen some kegs with posts that are weird and wacky. They have like teeth instead of flat sides that a wrench will fit on. So a shifter wouldn't work for those.

5 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Haha isn’t there sizes though. 

F**k me you really are a muppet ha ha ha

Do you have any tools at home at all? I took my keg post off with an adjustable spanner and took it to Bunnings. 

I bought a 11/16 open ended and closed spanner 

hopefully that’s enough information for ya ha ha ha

• Haha 3