Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

I have never had one come off as such.

Couple of things I do regular -

‘Always check the o-rings on the connect & disconnect, these are prone to split sometimes causing a leak, I always keep a spare parts kit just for these occasions and keep a few  Gas/Liquid disconnects on hand.

Always when connecting a new keg smear some food grade o-ring grease around the post, this allows and easy connect/disconnect.

I have both crimped fittings and push in, I believe that over time the cold air inside your Kegerator/keezer will eventually make these brittle, and cracking may form, this did happen to me once.

I will eventually change them all out to the new steel disconnects. 
‘Hope this helps 🍺

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So what are you playing off scratch then Kelsey?

No, probably more like 30 😂 but I haven't played in years and did notice some small improvement on Thursday towards the end of the round so I'm slowly getting it back to a somewhat reasonable level. 

As for this weird gas situation, if the disconnect comes off it should still pour as there will still be pressure in the keg, unless it somehow sits in a way that bleeds all the pressure from the keg. Make sure you really push them onto the posts, I've found if you're a bit light handed on it, they don't always sit properly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No, probably more like 30 😂 but I haven't played in years and did notice some small improvement on Thursday towards the end of the round so I'm slowly getting it back to a somewhat reasonable level.

... I think your reasonable level will be miles ahead of my hacker and basher level... have not played in years but when was up north in the bush some little town golf courses free after 4pm used to play a bit with some guns and it was usually a lot of fun... despite the trouble and strife of trying to keep the ball on the very wide fairways ; )

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That is strange. It should still pour if there's pressure in it, I have the gas turned off to the soda water at the moment because the red ale is fast carbing and it still pours fine. Not sure why it wouldn't be pouring with pressure in it. 

Yeah that is majorro bizarro... turned the cylinder off the other day when mucking around with gas pressures.... managed to get through half a dozen pints with receding gas levels... thought the keg must be empty... just was running out of gas ; )

Maybe something wrong with the disconnect itself?

14 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

new steel disconnects. 

@Red devil 44 Red mate what are such things?

I got a few better quality CMB ones....  will there be a difference in performance or durability?

I need to get some of that keg lube/grease - @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey mentioned that before but I not got there yet.

Cheers Keggers

BB

19 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

need to get some of that keg lube/grease - @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey mentioned that before but I not got there yet.

Can go to a hardware store and get a tube of tap crease same same but different and  it is food grade. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

@Red devil 44 Red mate what are such things?

I got a few better quality CMB ones....  will there be a difference in performance or durability?

I need to get some of that keg lube/grease - @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey mentioned that before but I not got there yet.

Cheers Keggers

BB

These ones mate.

8D7246EC-887E-469A-A03D-E4F170848360.jpeg

45 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

it hasn’t leaked , the pour just doesn’t work.  Perhaps that specific beer line is prone to a block ?!

I had that happen to one of my lines was working a treat then just stopped. I thought it was the disconnect took it off released the poppet a couple of time did not fix it so disconnected at the tap and then reconnected and it worked not sure what was going on but it is working. 

I have used the SS disconnects and prefer the CMB ones. They are easier to disconnect. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I had that happen to one of my lines was working a treat then just stopped. I thought it was the disconnect took it off released the poppet a couple of time did not fix it so disconnected at the tap and then reconnected and it worked not sure what was going on but it is working. 

I have used the SS disconnects and prefer the CMB ones. They are easier to disconnect. 

Hey Marty which ones are the CMB ones ?

10 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey Marty which ones are the CMB ones ?

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/original-cmb-cornelius-liquid-ball-lock-disconnect-barbed

I have both CMB and SS disconnects and replaced the SS for these they are wonderful great fit and very easy to remove. I find the SS ones a bit of a pain to get off.   Make sure they are the CMB dont get the cheap copies they are duds. 

cmbl.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Have you tried keg lube?

Yep.... It is the way they are designed. The knurled floating bush around the outsdie of it is a pain to get hold of and pull up. The design of the CMB has a far better release method.   Both seal great though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Ok, those are the ones I have, didn’t know they were the CMB ? 

Are you sure they are CMB? There are also other cheap copies that dont have the CMB brand on them they are crap.   Check they have the brand on them.  

Hey people. 
ive slapped together this high tech piece of equipment to attach to my out via the disconnect to transfer from FV to keg. Works well with just water but was wondering if it may cause any agitation to the beer stepping down to a smaller sized tube A couple of times. Not a complete closed transfer but I’m hoping it will prevent some splashing/O2 introduction and what not with just going through with the lid off.

E4C0AACA-1EA1-4D61-99B0-C488ED07EC53.jpeg

It may agitate it but if it's full of beer it won't introduce any oxygen anyway. Should work alright. 

As for disconnects, pretty sure the ones I have are keg king branded ones. Haven't had a problem in 4 and a half years except one where the inner spring wore out. Started having one tap pour really slowly, so I decided to change out the disconnect for some reason but it fixed it. I use the old one for draining kegs when cleaning them off the actual beer lines. First time I did that I realised what the issue was, it wasn't staying in place properly when I let go of it. To get it to flow properly I have to physically push it down on the out post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry gang. Repetitive question here. 

force carbing......

if the beer in my keg is about 6.5 degrees....would 36hrs at 40psi be in the ball park of getting that bad boy carbed up? 

I know everyone has a different schedule so people do it differently but just wanted a push in the right direction.

TIA