Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Does anyone think that I had the pressure up too high on this brew?  Great example of what you get if you turn the pressure up too high trying to get a quick-fix on forgetting you turned the bottle off at the tap the night before ; )

I ended up burbing the keg/releasing the gas... brought it back to 12-14 and not long after it all settled down again.

image.png.eaf9be8cf1451f8dea4960e9a7ce766c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Bearded Burbler looks on point to what you get at Oktoberfest. 

AAAaaaaaaaaargh that is GOLD MB!!!  🤣

Yeah I have been to a few beer gardens in Deutschi and whinged about the lack of brew to the line... nobody seems to like it being questioned including my Deutsch hosts... but me being a wayward Aussie am always happy to go back and cop the flack ; ) 

@Aussiekraut - AK what do you reckon - they look at you from behind the bar with a nasty look when you come back and say something like - kannst bissserl mehr nei schenken oder?

You can pour a bit more in hey?!  👺

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

AAAaaaaaaaaargh that is GOLD MB!!!  🤣

Yeah I have been to a few beer gardens in Deutschi and whinged about the lack of brew to the line... nobody seems to like it being questioned including my Deutsch hosts... but me being a wayward Aussie am always happy to go back and cop the flack ; ) 

@Aussiekraut - AK what do you reckon - they look at you from behind the bar with a nasty look when you come back and say something like - kannst bissserl mehr nei schenken oder?

You can pour a bit more in hey?!  👺

It was actually a big thing in the 80s, where they complained that the Oktoberfest beers were rather under poured, to the extent that some only got 700ml instead of a litre. Nowadays they get fined big time, so they're more careful. I guess now they just have watered down beer. Once you are on your 4th, you won't be able to tell the difference 🙂 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Howdy all,

is it best to get my keg to serving temp before whacking the gas on to force carb?

TIA

Yes. It’ll force carb quicker. 
I recently did this and it took over a week for my kegerator to cool the beer down to below 4. 2 kegs though

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yes. It’ll force carb quicker. 
I recently did this and it took over a week for my kegerator to cool the beer down to below 4. 2 kegs though

Thanks Cap. Haha that must have seemed like eternity. 
i havnt got a kegerator. I’ve just got a fridge I’ve pulled the selves out of. Only 2 kegs too. Did a test run and it took no more than a day to chill a warm keg down.

if she’s chilled down, would 40psi for 24hrs do it? 

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Thanks Cap. Haha that must have seemed like eternity. 
i havnt got a kegerator. I’ve just got a fridge I’ve pulled the selves out of. Only 2 kegs too. Did a test run and it took no more than a day to chill a warm keg down.

if she’s chilled down, would 40psi for 24hrs do it? 

Once my keg is chilled ( 24hrs ), 40 psi for 24 hrs, works spot on every time for me, perfect carbonation & pour.

• Thanks 1

Well...what a frustrating morning I’ve had.

Yesterday I put my first keg onto carbonate.

40psi for 24 hrs......

ive opened the fridge this morning to see both gauges at zero, accompanied by an empty cylinder. 2.6kg of gas reclaimed by the beer gods.  I checked last night at about 9pm and everything was still ok... the cylinder pressure was slightly lower but I figured that was due to being on for 11hrs...

so...where to start? I’ve got a T splitter set up all connections were tested with soapy water..... Only one keg in there at the moment so there is a gas connect not attached to a keg. 

im maybe leaning toward the connection from regulator to the first section of gas hosing? Does that need thread tape on it? It currently does not and I’m thinking I neglected to tighten it up enough.....

my next question... I’ve had a keg on 40psi for at least 11hrs.... when I’m back up and running, how should I approach getting hat keg to where it needs to be at carbonation wise?

Thanks All. 

Oh bugger @MitchBastard. I cant help with the carbonation as i don't use that method i just attach at serving pressure for a week or so.  But that is a bummer loosing all the gas.  It the fridge the prewssure will drop considerably at the pressure is less when the gas is cold.  I usggest turning it all off take the bottle out of the fridge and let it heat up then turn it on you may have a bit of gas left in the bottle.  But I doubt it.  Anyway, yes use tape on the bottle thread.   

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

40psi for 24 hrs......

ive opened the fridge this morning to see both gauges at zero, accompanied by an empty cylinder. 2.6kg of gas reclaimed by the beer gods.  I checked last night at about 9pm and everything was still ok... the cylinder pressure was slightly lower but I figured that was due to being on for 11hrs...

so...where to start? I’ve got a T splitter set up all connections were tested with soapy water..... Only one keg in there at the moment so there is a gas connect not attached to a keg. 

im maybe leaning toward the connection from regulator to the first section of gas hosing? Does that need thread tape on it? It currently does not and I’m thinking I neglected to tighten it up enough.....

my next question... I’ve had a keg on 40psi for at least 11hrs.... when I’m back up and running, how should I approach getting hat keg to where it needs to be at carbonation wise?

Thanks All. 

Bummer mate,

On the connection to the Gas Cylinder you should have a small plastic sealing washer, this may be split, if it has a washer it doesn’t require thread tape.

Check all your push in fittings, tees etc, if they get a tight bend in the hose they leak sometimes.

Check your keg, it may be leaking out of the keg lid or posts ?

You may have a leaking regulator, sometimes the diaphragm inside lets go, depending on the age of the regulator ?

Hope this helps RD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

40psi for 24 hrs......

Thanks All. 

Just to answer your other question, Once you get Gas back on I would go 40PSI for another 12 hrs.

cheers RD 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Red devil 44 ive just had a look and it appears there is no washer? Just the flanged bit that goes into the tube. 
everything is brand new so I’m hoping I don’t have anything faulty. Here’s a pic of the inside of the connection

278A2AA2-6C1F-45B2-9655-D424E00FC83E.thumb.png.e5fdb6604f1aeacd68d3baab03a9b57f.png

all my connections are crimped In place with one of those bands you crimp together, and all lengths are long enough so there is no sharp bends at all. 

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Thanks @Red devil 44 ive just had a look and it appears there is no washer? Just the flanged bit that goes into the tube. 
everything is brand new so I’m hoping I don’t have anything faulty. Here’s a pic of the inside of the connection

278A2AA2-6C1F-45B2-9655-D424E00FC83E.thumb.png.e5fdb6604f1aeacd68d3baab03a9b57f.png

all my connections are crimped In place with one of those bands you crimp together, and all lengths are long enough so there is no sharp bends at all. 

That piece is designed to not need thread tape however you can still use some. Just dont get the tape on the section of metal that seals against the piece you have pictured as this may result in a leak. Put the tape on the thread only.

I would be getting more gas, turning the pressure up nice and high (50PSI) and spraying everything with starsan. The disconnect that was not being used could be the culprit. Turn the gas up high and put it into a glass of water.

Also - a good way of testing for leaks is to set the pressure nice and high, take all disconnects off and turn the bottle off. Then leave the whole system for an hour or so. The gauges on the reg should stay exactly the same. If they drop, you are losing gas somewhere.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

the cylinder pressure was slightly lower but I figured that was due to being on for 11hrs...

This is your 1st indication. Shouldn't notice the cylinder pressure dropping over this time frame. Only time you may notice a drop in pressure is if you put a warm/room temp gas bottle into the fridge whilst it chills down. Carbonation is usually around 2 to 2.4 volumes or 40l in a corny so a drop in the cylinder pressure of this amount shouldn't be noticed.

You will need to recheck everything and I suggest doing it one thing at a time. Start with regulator and open the gas bottle full with the reg closed to check this connection. Then add the hose and manifold (if using one), then the gas disconnect, then the keg. I lost a 3/4 full 2.6kg bottle due to a leaky disconnect - was easier to check for as had used the system a few times so knew it was good to the manifold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A week to get two kegs below 4 degrees doesn't sound good... Mine would take a day to do that, and another day to get them down to around zero. 

I don't usually bother waiting for them to chill before putting gas on, just do it while they are chilling, otherwise you're waiting an extra day for it. Having said that, most of mine are going in already cold at the moment, being gassed pretty much as soon as they're filled from the cold fermenters. 

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Ok, this pic below is the one I was talking about, all good. I wouldn’t put thread tape or sealant on those fittings above.

48CD9EFC-2278-49F3-8D7A-73AFFA4D3BEC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that mate. I lost two gas bottles in two weeks when I  started  kegging only recently. I think it’s a rite of passage. To prevent my third I filled a basin with soapy water and chucked all the tubes and connectors in there. Mine happened due to dodgy threads on these new duotight fittings. I switched to the clamps and barb and touch wood my third gas bottle has been connected two weeks to three kegs and she’s working away. If nothing bubbles on your connector it’s more than likely the fittings on the kegs. I bought myself a spanner thing from Bunnings to tighten 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1