Titan

It's Kegging Time 2019

7 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Thinking of using the sawn off bottle wand with some silicon tubing attached and then one of those ball lock connectors attached to the beer in connector so oxygen is minimal 

I use a cut off bottle wand, tubing which is long enough to hit the bottom of my kegs. I place the FV on the bench and simply open it up. Oxygen damage is minimal. 
NEIPAs want to be drank fast anyway

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the method I was planning to use, just haven't got the tubing to fit the disconnect and some kind of adaptor for the FV tap yet. 

• Like 1

I have always done as above - cut a bit off the bottle wand and get some (I think 10mm) tube, but it over the bottle wand and straight to the bottom of the keg. Try to minimise splashing when filling and as soon as it is filled, put the lid on a purge 4 times with C02 at 40PSI.

I have always done this and while I am no expert beer taster and still using extract, I have never tasted any signs of oxygen effecting my brews.

Although I have never brewed an NEIPA... Just be extra careful with it, I'm sure it will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bearing in mind I’m getting 3 kegs with 3 attachments and all that but I will be only filling one keg to start me off. What do I need to hook up to my FV and keg to do this closed transfer 

The behemoth has just arrived 

5562105A-3B9C-47DD-A7FF-18DBD6B3B261.jpeg

anyone know a good handy man 

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Just drop it at my place and I’ll put it together for ya!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

It should be done by now!!!

How does it look😂

28 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

It should be done by now!!!

How does it look😂

I have a broken drill, a ripped thumb and the dog is hiding from me 

should have stuck to bottling 

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hahahahahhahaahhahahahahahhahahah.

Hahhahaha.

18 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Once you start pouring you’ll wonder why you didn’t start kegging earlier

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

You should have had ten beers before you started

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I use a cut off bottle wand, tubing which is long enough to hit the bottom of my kegs. I place the FV on the bench and simply open it up. Oxygen damage is minimal. 
NEIPAs want to be drank fast anyway

First -  have a look to make sure there's no extraneous material in the new keg... 

Then - same as Kapitano - I just use the bottle wand minus its little valve - 1/2 inch bore Si brew hose with a hose clamp holding the white Si hose onto the bottling wand...  - Wash out and sterilise the keg - I gave it a quick Phosphoric Acid (from brew shop) rinse - then just used boiling water - many use that Stellar San....

And then I gas filled the keg... used the release valve to drop the pressure... then popped the lid open... still covering the hole somewhat within practicality... put the Si Hose in... while leaving a stream of C02 on to fill the keg airspace - and not enough to kill any animals used in the production of this film or the operator ; ) 

And then just piped the brew in.... 

I do think you should have enough hose to get to the bottom of the keg - not just splashing/pouring it in and foaming up - which is indicative of oxygenating the brew - which I do when I am going from Cooled Brew Vessel into the FV.... this should be gently piping in to the SS vessel with a C02 blanket above it... well that's my take on it anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Ah Paddly - it will all come together.... 

And as BB1 says - after you pour your first... you'll be wondering why you did not start earlier!

Good luck with it Cobber

BB2

Edited by Bearded Burbler

I have officially joined the kegging crew this evening! Transfered Chinook & Simcoe Pale to keg. Can't wait for that first pour. 

20191114_204605-1.jpg

20191114_200822.jpg

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Transfered Chinook & Simcoe Pale to keg.

I love those 2 hops. It sounds like a tasty beer

Have the font assembled with the beer lines. Had to borrow a drill from the neighbour. You’d think these things would come with instructions.  But oh no.  I have to watch a YouTube vid of some bogan who records himself on a potato , trying to decipher what they are saying , they may as well be speaking mandarin. Office workers shouldn’t have to figure this shit out on their own. Tomorrow I’ll hook up the regulator and the gas and attach it all to the kegs although Only one will be filled in about ten days. Add to it all it’s 36 degrees here and this Irishman ain’t happy Jan 

57BD7A01-6E03-47F4-A13B-C5D3514485C5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Keep em as spares. Or maybe convert an Esky and use one on it 😂

I got a CO2 regulator that I wasn't expecting when I bought my new kegerator. I probably should have expected it though since it was listed in the included items on the website. It will sit in its box until either the existing one karks it or I get a secondary cylinder for some reason. Handy to have there though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

secondary cylinder for some reason.

They are a very handy item. My main bottle is a 7kg one but I have a 2.9kg secondary which is great for filling the head space on new brews and setting the pressure when i have no room in the kegger . Much easier than having to disconnect a keg in the fridge and use one of the dedicated gas lines.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

forgot to mention, they gave me six. Yes 6 stainless steel taps instead of 3 

Winning!

They are your present for all the hard work you have endured while assembling it 😛

It will all be worth it! This is why I like my converted fridge - was so easy to setup and works sweeeeeet 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

They are a very handy item. My main bottle is a 7kg one but I have a 2.9kg secondary which is great for filling the head space on new brews and setting the pressure when i have no room in the kegger . Much easier than having to disconnect a keg in the fridge and use one of the dedicated gas lines. 

I have a spare gas line on my manifold for that so a second cylinder isn't really needed. 

• Like 2

I’ve got a dual stage Regulator for my keezer, and set up 2 manifolds. So I can be drinking 1 or 2 kegs whilst gassing up others at a higher pressure. Pretty easy to set up, although my secret is I’m a Tradesman ( Fitter )  with 26 yrs Gas experience, and have experience setting up beer reticulation systems and repairing Regulators back in the 90,s. I also keep my other Single Stage  Regulator as a spare if required. 😃🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 8:22 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Add to it all it’s 36 degrees here and this Irishman ain’t happy Jan 

Ha ha ha 

I was still in jeans and a long sleeve shirt ha ha ha

• Haha 3