Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick thats a great idea..

Does this forum have a general chit chat thread?

on my bike forums we have these running out to hundreds of pages.. basically like a chat box but in a forum thread. takes the idle chatter away from other threads and centralise it..

could almost call it... " The Front bar" where everyone goes to have a brew and dribble chit... ;)

that was the idea of the OT, but the way the forum works, it tends to end up in Siberia quite quickly. Read some of the early posts and you will get a much better idea of who's who.

There have been plenty of calls for a general chit chat area, but we'll see what Paul thinks.

I reckon the STC1000 thread needs to be more accessible though

Isn't the Everything Else section for general chit chat?

i suppose it is kelse, but for some reason it doesnt seem to gets used much. Brewing Blether is the place to be for some reason, but i think its more to do with the way the site is set up

Isn't the Everything Else section for general chit chat?

I guess so. Just start a thread. We can talk about cricket, footy and Lycra.

Plenty of good threads on Lycra Hairy, but not on this forum[crying]

If my memory serves me well though, good luck convincing Chad (Canadian Eh!L) of your polishing skills with the cascade on that turd. [lol]

Yep, those cannucks can be stubborn lot!! Not sure where Chad is at the mo,as i haven't seen a post for a couple of days, maybe he's gone bush, tree planting or something?

Yep, I was gone bush for a shift. Not tree planting this time, but tree killing[devil]. We got chased out of the bush because the fire danger class is too high around here[annoyed] . We can't run powersaws for fear of lighting a wildfire[roll] .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello to all. I'm a long time drinker but first time brewer so I thought I'd introduce myself.

A few of my neighbours have been home brewing for quite a while, and the idea rubbed off onto me. I haven't been game to let my better half know yet so I'm still getting my story right before I tell her. While I think I've settled on the advantages of reinforcing the basics of what my boys in Year 7 and 8 are learning in school chemistry, I'm going to wait until I can present her with some cold home-brewed ginger beer to create the right atmosphere! [roll]

It will be interesting to see how the first mix in the Coopers Brewing Kit (the one that came with it) goes, I think I messed it up a bit. From what I've seen from the hydrometer readings, I'm expecting it to onlt be about 3.0 - 3.2% ABV (OG was 1.036 and FG was 1.012). It was only bottled 3 days ago.

Since the Director of Home Finance is a ginger beer fan, I put down one of those using a compromise of JoshM4 (post #32) and CodenameJames (post #33) recipe in the alcoholic ginger beer thread in Recipe Resource forum.

To simplify it for this dummy, I just used:

1 can Coopers GB; 750 g organic Raw Sugar; 1 Kg pack of BE2; 10 g powdered ginger; 150 g grated/sliced fresh ginger (in a tea infusion bag to steep).

I know its only been down for 2 days, and at this stage it is obviously still very sweet, but it does have a really nice ginger bite. Yeast is working really well and has gone from OG 1.039 to 1.028 in under 48 hours already at 23C. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will end up at around 4.5% with a really nice ginger flavour.

Thank you to all those that have provided and contributed to this forum resource for dummies like me. I know novices have to start somewhere, and then it's a matter of study and experience, but I have found it very comforting to read everyone successes and failures, as well as giving me the confidence to give it a go!

Thanks again and cheers

Phil

PS. If anyone has a better justification I can provide to the "house pants-wearer", feel free to let me know.

Hi Phil

Yeah, sorry about that. Just like Max Walker once said "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story", I work on the idea that "don't make someting easy to understand when you can make it convoluted".

The fermenter is in the garage covered by a big tarp so she doesn't see it, and the boys have been sworn to secrecy (not yet with threats of violence). As long as we can arrange things before she gets home from work, we may be able to keep it from her for a while more.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

In the words of dr. Nick Riviera "Hi everybody".

My name is J\xf3n, I\xb4m also from Iceland (like the other guy in the topic). I\xb4m 21 years old and you guessed it, i love beer. I also happen to like making things and have always wanted to make my own beer. I could\xb4t afford the DIY kit from coopers so i had to improvise [biggrin].

My first brew is going to be a Coppers Draught, and it\xb4s already been in the fermenter for 24 hours.

I have made a few rookie mistakes, such as water from the airlock into the brew and probably something else. And i\xb4m hoping this won\xb4t ruin my beer.

My fermenting temp is at 18\xb0C because i read dozens of times that fermenting on high temperatures is going to give you off flavors and unwanted flavors. But my brewing instructions say 21-27\xb0C. I just wanted to know your thought on that because to my best knowledge "the colder the clearer" up to a point of course.

Then when I start making decent "kit" beer i\xb4m hoping to make my beer completely from scratch.

That is if I don\xb4t screw it up every single time [biggrin].

Best regards from Iceland

Welcome Jon!

18 degrees is perfect. If you keep it around 18-20 degrees it should be good.

Don't worry about little mistakes, beer is quite hardy and will survive most of your mistakes.

Stick around and learn. There are a few guys on here that brew all grain so when the time comes we can help out.

Archived