Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

As usual I've gone ass about and started posting before intro - so belated hello all. Simon from Canberra, first brew in the keg catching some carbon (simple kit), about to start brew 2 tonight and play with hops (Artisan Reserve).

Planned house beers (2 tap setup) will be a simple Aussie "Lager" for the masses and a German or Belgian Lager for the drinkers. Looking forward to knocking out a couple of Aussie PAs in good time too (once my technique can be trusted).

Thanks for the tips so far... and for the dozens I'm bound to need in future!

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum Essfer tongue

Technique wise' date=' I think it will be easier to make an Aussie Pale Ale than an Aussie lager or Euro lager.[/quote']

Hells yes.

Yeah, but where's the fun in easy? Haha.

I've invested in temp control so hoping that the relative ease of the Artisan recipe will return good results. Always room to play after that. As for the Aussie "Lager"... more straight kit draught using the Ale yeast. Have tasted one of the best beers from a mate who brews a simple kit - his technique and Quality Control seems to be the key to turning a basic brew into a great session beer that everyone seems to love. If I can get that for my house beer and play with the rest... happy days.

Stay tuned, bound to be some patting myself on the back if I get close ;)

Hi guys. Is this where I introduce myself? I got a home brew kit for my birthday from my fiance. I've done about 5 batches so far. English Bitter x2, Mexican x2 and an Australiab Bitter. All turned out great except for the Australian bitter which was undrinkable (but I did anyway) not sure what went wrong there. I'm about to start a recipe rather than a kit beer for the first time. Probably a stout or bitter.

I've been reading on here today and don't understand half of what's said so go easy on me and can't wait to hear tips and tricks.

Hi guys. Is this where I introduce myself? I got a home brew kit for my birthday from my fiance. I've done about 5 batches so far. English Bitter x2' date=' Mexican x2 and an Australiab Bitter. All turned out great except for the Australian bitter which was undrinkable (but I did anyway) not sure what went wrong there. I'm about to start a recipe rather than a kit beer for the first time. Probably a stout or bitter.

I've been reading on here today and don't understand half of what's said so go easy on me and can't wait to hear tips and tricks.[/quote']

G'day cjd88, welcome to the forum, don't worry we're mostly harmless, ask questions, use the search, someone may have already asked the same question, let us know were your from, it helps, enjoy beer. wink

Cheers.

Hi guys. Is this where I introduce myself? I got a home brew kit for my birthday from my fiance. I've done about 5 batches so far. English Bitter x2' date=' Mexican x2 and an Australiab Bitter. All turned out great except for the Australian bitter which was undrinkable (but I did anyway) not sure what went wrong there. I'm about to start a recipe rather than a kit beer for the first time. Probably a stout or bitter.

I've been reading on here today and don't understand half of what's said so go easy on me and can't wait to hear tips and tricks.[/quote']

Hey CJ

Welcome to the forum. Great to see you are off to a flying start with your brewing obsession. Plus you've done the English Bitter kit twice so you are a winner in my eyes. Tips and tricks, your gunna luv what you can do with the English Bitter kit.

Cheers & Beers Ol' Chap

Scottie

I wrote Aus bitter. I mean Aus lager. It didn't go well. The English bitter is fantastic and the hop gobbler recipe looks amazing. My Mrs loves the mexican so I'll probably do some more of them too. I'm from South Aus btw.

G'day PB2 and forum crew,

MAN"N"BREW Brewery has just opened in Mackay sunny Queensland.

My beginner brewery has just started with the Coopers DIY kit and the Original Series Lager has been bottled without issue. I have also ordered a Craft kit that will be put to good use. House beer is yet to be decided but Ale's are a strong possibility.

With the weather heating up I have plans to convert my old beer fridge into an FV chamber to keep the temp controlled, still researching for ideas on this one but hopefully in the next couple of weeks it'll be all go.

To Coopers.... Great site, everything works well, good layout and plenty of info. The forum will be helpful for me and I look forward to bouncing ideas back and forward with other members.

Cheers, Lachy.

Welcome Lachy.

Getting temp control is a big step in the right direction and will take the angst out of brewing in the warmer months.

STC-1000 is the way to go. Everyone has a mate who is a sparky these days, so you'll get it wired up pretty easily.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures!

G'day guys,

long time drinker first time brewer, after sampling a couple of my mates brews and being blown away by their results have decided to go all in and have purchased a brew kit and complete keg king system. I had always been wary of home brews, probably because of a shoddy uncle's poor attempts, though with the current price of a decent carton these days I thought why not. I have purchased the Extra Strong Vintage Ale pack, the Artisan Reserve pack and everything for my old favourite Sparkling Ale(which coincidentally just arrived as I was typing this) my keg king should also be arriving today so fingers crossed I should be putting down my first brew today.

Over the last week or so I have been scouring the forum here and am looking forward to soaking up the wealth of knowledge and having assistance from experienced brewers.

So with any luck the doors of The Brownsworthy Inn should be open in Newcastle a couple of weeks from now with Sparkling and Extra Strong Vintage Ale on tap.

Don't think I've been this excited since Christmas as an eight year old!

Cheers Nathan.

So with any luck the doors of The Brownsworthy Inn should be open in Newcastle a couple of weeks from now with Sparkling and Extra Strong Vintage Ale on tap.Cheers Nathan.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lost souls, from a fellow Novocastrian (well, actually a Charlestonian). It's a downhill slide from here, but there are many support groups available.

I've put down a few brews myself and have had a ball. I'm also interested in what you're kegging system is and what it comprises - I'm looking into this at the moment.

The most important things to get right from the start are:

1. Good sanitation and hygeine must be built into your technique; and

2. Good quality ingredients; and

3. Excellent cleaning hygeine, cleaning and sanitation techniques; and

4. Making brews that keeps your better half happy so you can buy more equipment; and

5. Good sanitising methods; and

6. Ignoring my advice; and

7. Good temperature control when pitching and fermenting; and I almost forgot

8. Keeping things clean and sanitised.

If you need a hand, drop me a note.

Cheers

Phil the Hopeless

Archived