Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

Hi - I'm new to this home brewing as it was a gift from my wife. I've cracked open the box and started the brew. Hope to be bottleing it in 3-4 days. I'm not sure how its going to turn out, but I will let you know.

Mike

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

My name is Willy but most people call me Grumpa. My wife bought me a DIY brew kit for Christmas and I think it's time to make my first batch, an IPA, not my favourite brew but recommended by the store owner.

Personal preference goes to Weissbier, especially Dunkel. It was almost all I drank while in Munich a few years ago. That's what I hope to brew some day.

Brewing in Kanata, Ontario Canada

Hi all' date='

My name is Willy but most people call me Grumpa. My wife bought me a DIY brew kit for Christmas and I think it's time to make my first batch, an IPA, not my favourite brew but recommended by the store owner.

Personal preference goes to Weissbier, especially Dunkel. It was almost all I drank while in Munich a few years ago. That's what I hope to brew some day.

Brewing in Kanata, Ontario Canada[/quote']

Hey Grumpa,

Welcome to the forum! Good to have another Canuck around here. I'm from Golden, BC. I Came to this forum 3 years aago right around this time. I've been hooked (big timew00t) on home brewing ever since.

Stick around and you'll learn lots from the folks around here. You'll probably get a few laugh as well.

Welcome to the forum Grumpa!

Many Canadians join here but Chad is the only one who has stuck it out long term. Hope you stick around too.

I love a good Wheat beer and they are easy to make. Once you have the basics under control you can brew almost any style you want.

Thanks for the welcome, Hairy and Canadian Eh!L. I certainly intend to stick around but I typically read more than write on the forums. Hopefully my beers turn out good enough that I'll want to brag about them. :)

Hi my name is Tezza,just started brewing recently,I posted on don,t forsake us woolies and received a couple of warm welcomes ,Hi Hairy and hi to John but have realised I should have posted here to introduce myself. Live in Chillingham near NSW/Qld border and so far have only made extracts but have done:Coopers Lager, Draught, Canadian Blonde, Mexican Cerveza, Real Ale, Unreal Ale (Coopers recipe) and Pale Ale and at the moment brewing Australian Bitter as weather cooled down a bit,having a lot of fun and hope to be a bit more adventurous I.E. hops, other additions, more complex brews etc as I gain experience.I have only had one stubbie that was off, the rest perfect after I gave them enough time to mature a bit hard if you don't have a stockpile but have that now and enjoying a variety of beers.A great forum and heaps of helpful tips and advice thanks to all

Hi Tezza.

Yes Hairy, John & numerous others here on the forum are very friendly types who are most likely to greet you at the door. Once you walk inside the forum, you'll find a diverse range of interesting guys & gals that love to brew just like you.

I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the guy at the bar! lol

Welcome to the forum Tezza! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Tezza,

Good to see you are getting into the swing of things. The people on the forum are friendly and always willing to impart their knowledge to help you produce better beer.

I like home brewing because I reckon I can make beer that is three times better than what is offered over the bar in pubs/clubs at one third of the price.

You will find that you will never want to drink mega-swill again!

Hi Hairy, no the process started on Sun Jan 19th. I started testing it to verify the FG reading as indicated in the kit. Tomorrow will be day 10 and I think it might be ready to bottle. One question thou, do I need to sterilize the bottles or rinse them and dry them prior to bottling if they were in the kit, or should they be good to go?

Mike

To Beerlust,Hi Anthony thanks for the welcome,I'll keep an eye out for you in the bar.I bought a bottle tree for draining bottles yesterday, and little bottle rinser sterilizer gizmo yesterday,does anyone know how effective these little gadgets are?up to this stage I have just been rinsing, bottle brush, then sterilizing with Coopers Sodium Percarbonate Sanitizer overnight then rinse out again. when I get to the stage of bottling fill bottles with boiling water 15 mins before bottling, drain and cover up till cool then bottle Cheers Terry

G'day I'm a newbie brewer with a chequered history, first thing I ever brewed was the classic Aussie Ginger Beer from a plant, bottle ferment and carbonate as a teenager in the early 70's. wink

Had a crack at home brew in the early eighties and again in the mid nineties, mostly drinkable, well I talked myself in to it, but my adventure was short lived. surprisedsurprised

Well here I 'am now got a Coopers DIY kit, have bottled the Lager in the kit, got a CPA in the FV and it should be ready to bottle on Tuesday the 4/2/2014. happy

Next will be a Coopers IPA, will just stick with the basic kits to work things out for me and my situation, hopefully this will help me get my head around what I'm doing. smile

Having a reasonable education, School of Hard Knocks credit graduate and University of Real World, majored in Getting By and How to Get it Done, oh being able to count and read and write helped, thanks to the NSW education department of the sixties and seventies.

I've been busy here reading lots of post, very informative, some I even have some idea what’s being discussed, others, well I've got a lot to learn to understand.

Thanks all, oh and I will have lots of questions. preferred music Rock and or Roll old and new!

Hey Magnaman

Am I first? Welcome to the forum and good luck with the brewing. Stick around and share the experience. I can't wait for you to post your first Mitsubishi Pale Ale recipe.

Rock on and Hang Loose dude cool

Thanks' Scottie and yes your first and I will stick around and I get the Mitsubishi bit but the name comes from Gigantor's arch enemy from the planet Magna' date=' sixties anime, sci fi nut too. [img']alien[/img]

MPA is still a good idea, I'll keep it in mind, mmm could get lost there?

Hi Hairy' date=' no the process started on Sun Jan 19th. I started testing it to verify the FG reading as indicated in the kit. Tomorrow will be day 10 and I think it might be ready to bottle. One question thou, do I need to sterilize the bottles or rinse them and dry them prior to bottling if they were in the kit, or should they be good to go?

Mike[/quote']

The instructions state that you can just rinse them if they are straight from the box. I still sanitise them though as I don't want to waste a batch of beer just because I saved a little extra work.

And welcome aboard Magnaman!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals. I am new to this forum and like so many others I have discovered / rediscovered the joys of home brewing ( again ). I tried it a few years back but it was more miss than hit. So after my wife gave me a coopers DIY kit for Christmas, I decided to give it another try. So far I have bottled my first brew (the kit lager) and now have a dark ale in the fermenter. Here to hoping they both turn out. If I have any problems or questions, I know where to come to. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Have you got room for a new home brewer residing somewhere north of London? Yeah, I'm a pom! Lol

Been a member of Cooper's club for quite some time but have never got round to posting for some reason.

Got the new Cooper's DIY beer kit for Christmas and have just done my first batch, an English bitter with a kilo of Beer Enhancer1.

Brewed it to 23L mark. The SG was 1036, yeast was pitched at 32C, fermenter was wrapped in some good quality bubble wrap and then sporting a thick towel over all stuck in place with brown parcel tape to prevent any drastic fluctuating temperatures during the primary fermentation.

I purposefully left the beer alone in the fermenter for 21 days, no lifting the lid to have a peek or sniff apart from removing the Krausen collar, so did not bother taking hydrometer readings after a week or so. After 21 days the temperature read 18C (I don't know how accurate these stick on thermometers are).

Took a hydrometer reading prior to bottling it last Friday night. FG was approx 1013.

I am quite pleased with the taste of it, a little sweet at present but hopefully that will die off as I plan on leaving it to condition for a further 9 weeks. I am patient, besides I've got plenty of Belgian and US craft beer to sup while I wait.

I was hoping the ABV would be a bit higher, allowing 0.5% for secondary fermentation it has come out at 3.58%. Is this a little bit low?

Had a look at the bottles today and the clarity of the brew is brilliant, much better than I thought it would be after only 3 days or so in bottle.

Planning on on 'bigger' version of it in August with some light dry malt.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read my first post.

Beastie!

Welcome to the forum ExmoorBeast.
Welcome the the forum Beastie!

There is plenty of room in here. And if not then you can just take Lusty's place.

Sorry Lusty innocent

Are the vultures circling again? unsuresad

Possibly, but I was only joking.

Hi All,

Received my DIY Beer Kit for my 30th birthday last week. Keen to give brewing a go. Didn't realise how detailed some of the recipes are so this whole experience should be interesting.

Keen to get a brew underway and am happy to give the DIY Kit Lager a go as it is most likely the easiest to start with and to learn the process.

A question I do have.

I live in an older house that isn't the best in terms of sealed windows and insulation, so the temperature level can fluctuate a bit depending on the weather outlook.

Would I be best to wait to brew this lager when the temperature in the coming months has dropped a bit and use a heat mat or brew belt in order to regulate the temperature to what each brew requires? Nothing worse than stuffing up my first brew and getting put off making more.

Thank you for any advice given and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Cheers!

Archived