Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

Gday fellow brewers,

I somehow forgot to introduce myself!

I'm Nick, I live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and my brewery is called Golden Nectar and my house beer is Pale Ale style (slightly varying each brew) from the wonderful green can.

I have two fermenters and a dedicated fermenting fridge with a temp controller.

I've made 14 brews so far and 13 have been from Coopers tin's.

So many beers to make, the most difficult thing so far is what to decide to brew!

Lucky I've recently been given some Coopers diy gift vouchers :)

Thanks for all the advice so far, this is a fantastic place to mingle and learn.

Cheers

Nick

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, I'm a total newb that's been bitten hard by the bug. It's been 3 months since my first brew and I'm on to my 7th or 8th now? I lose count!

Anyway, I have an 'urgent' question that needs answering but thought it my be best to introduce myself first before I try to find the best place to put my question if I can't find the answer in the mountain of forum topics (it's about dry hopping in case you're all curious).

Just a quick newby question to keep me out of trouble: What's the etiquette with asking questions? If I find a similar post can I piggy back my question into someone else's post or is it best to start a whole new topic?

I'm in Melbourne, I like to brew and searching for the holy grail of beers!

Cheers all

Brookie

Gday fellow fermented stuff appreciators.

long time coopers drinker now turned coopers brewing wanna-be after buying our 1st house in newcastle (charlestown also) and learning my new friendly neighbour is a 10 year veteran home brewer, who let me sample his brew and showed me the basics of brewing and bottling. (some of his methods leave a bit to be desired but who am i to judge, he gets the results hes after :) )

that was enough to convince the minister for finance that we can save money by allowing this hobbie (sales pitch was "the more I drink, the more WE save" haha)

so i purchased the DIY kit, and started power drinking my way through cartons of coopers pale longnecks, no short cuts for me :) (used same sales pitch) but was then rudely interrupted by my damned work who said i have to fly back to my ship for 2 months (merchant seaman), so my 1st brew is still in the box untill i can return home and let the fun and games begin. working 2 months on 2 months off as i do, i think will suit this hobbie well as it usually forces me into semi dextox and will now also restrain me from drinking my brews too green, 2 months from what i gather should be basically perfect.

micro brew shop shall be named 'The Sail n' Wanchors' and no idea on a house brew, most likely a dark ale.

cheers and to future beers :)

G'day Dylan,

Congratulations on the house and purchasing a DIY Kit, shame you've got to get back to work, I'm also in Newcastle (Tighes Hill) and commenced brewing around 5 months ago. It's a slippery slope mate I've now got 3 fermenters, temp controlled fridge and keg fridge! Enjoy the ride!

Oh by the way your new neighbors name wouldn't have to be phil by any chance? tonguelol

Cheers

cheers mate, loving the area already after renting in sydney, never again lol.

yeah sure is, havent even got my 1st brew down and already have picked up a dead fridge and working upright freezer (both freebies), now i just have to get home to kick it all off!

haha nah no phill next door.

Hi Bob

You are one very very lucky b@rst*rd! I've also heard about that pr!ck called Phil that lives in Charlestown, and verified rumour has it that he is NOT a nice person to meet. As long as you keep a low profile and never ever again admit your true location, you should be reasonably safe. But just in case, keep all your doors and windows locked, never answer the phone, and only ever go to the mailbox after dark, and even then, only if it's absolutely necessary.

Good luck.

Hi DTV & welcome aboard!

You've picked a great forum to put down anchor. There are some really good guys here with a wealth of brewing knowledge & good senses of humour to boot.

Don't mind Hairy, he's just in need of a bit of shore leave. wink

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

We already have a resident Villain aka Beerlust

Wikipedia definition:

Villain comes from the Anglo-French and Old French vilain' date=' which itself descends from the Late Latin word villanus, meaning "farmhand", in the sense of someone who is bound to the soil of a villa, which is to say, worked on the equivalent of a plantation in Late Antiquity, in Italy or Gaul. The same etymology produced villein. It referred to a person of less than knightly status and so came to mean a person who was not chivalrous. As a result of many unchivalrous acts, such as treachery or rape (or over-hopping beer), being considered villainous in the modern sense of the word, it became used as a term of abuse and eventually took on its modern meaning.[/quote']

Well spotted, Hairy. Have a good time consorting with the ladies of the docks on your leave.

Hi, I have just joined and am very excited to see what's happening in the world of beer, my adult son has been home brewing for about 12 months now.. Getting pretty good at it too.. Hope to contribute in discussions/forums real soon.. Cheers..

Hi guys and gals. Long time no post! I was a member posting as trusty1 but forgot password.

I started a new business and haven't had time for homebrewing let alone reading/posting on forums but I'm going to make time.

Catch you all again soon. Cheers!

Archived