Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day guys,

Chris from Ringwood East, VIC here - been brewing for a couple of months and taking instructions/advice from here.

I have many questions, as I started with the normal kits (lager, dark, pale and sparkling), but have moved on to a little experiment with using hops for the first time in a choc-honey porter.

I'm planning on keeping things pretty simple until I've got quite a few brews under the belt - but am really enjoying it so far!

Thanks (for now and in the future) for all your help.

I'm on the map as Coutta's Brewery.

Cheers,

Chris

G'day guys, thanks for the welcome. And yes, Brendan, one and the same (although the younger of the 2).

The choc honey porter is pretty much done - although it's only taken approx. 8 days to stabilise at 1009, rather than the 11-12 days it had been recently. I'm inclined to leave it for another couple of days, but given it's my first attempt to play around with hops, I'm inclined to get it out as quickly as possible.

Of course, I stupidly followed some advice I got and just tossed the hops in the top of the FV, so now need to find a way to filter it out. Any suggestions?

Couttsy, I throw my hops in commando and I find that after time it settles out in the sediment at the bottom of the bottles. I find if I leave them in the fridge for a week the sediment is compacted and very little escapes into the glass. Good luck and welcome to the land of a wealth of knowledge. [biggrin]

Couttsy' date=' I throw my hops in commando and I find that after time it settles out in the sediment at the bottom of the bottles. I find if I leave them in the fridge for a week the sediment is compacted and very little escapes into the glass. Good luck and welcome to the land of a wealth of knowledge. [biggrin']

Thanks, Benny. Much obliged. Will give it a whirl and see how we go. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to have another go at brewing this one!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I didn't know where best to post this.

[Edit: Actually I did! [whistling ]

I'm new to the interactive part of the forum, but I've been reading posts on the forum for months.

[Edit: I have continued to follow the forum even through my absence]

I'm an extract/partial brewer & have been brewing for many years. Incidentally, I've brewed quite a number of the recipes listed in the Coopers "How To Brew" section, & enjoyed every one. [biggrin]

I enjoy the freedoms of extract/partial brewing & hope I can add some value to conversations occasionally, given what I have brewed in the past.

I look forward to being back amongst some really good guys/gals & discussing our favourite hobby. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony

Hey Couttsy,

Welcome to the forum, you can come out of this thread if you like, it doesn't get as noticed as much as the main two.

Once again welcome aboard![cool]

what are the main two??

and welcome new comers.. im a newbrewer too! heaps of info on here.. and everyone "seems" nice... im starting to get worried about that phill bloke though...[crying]

The main two are Brewing Blether and Recipe Resource.

I started to type this but then I thought this thread is part of the Brewing Blether which is a collection of threads [rightful] so what is Sticky talking about [unsure]

Perhaps he means the "About ourselves" thread {which needs a bump} and another say What ya brewing eh?!

Hi all. I didn't know where best to post this.

[Edit: Actually I did! [whistling ]

I'm new to the interactive part of the forum, but I've been reading posts on the forum for months.

[Edit: I have continued to follow the forum even through my absence]

I'm an extract/partial brewer & have been brewing for many years. Incidentally, I've brewed quite a number of the recipes listed in the Coopers "How To Brew" section, & enjoyed every one. [biggrin]

I enjoy the freedoms of extract/partial brewing & hope I can add some value to conversations occasionally, given what I have brewed in the past.

I look forward to being back amongst some really good guys/gals & discussing our favourite hobby. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony

Did you get paroled? [lol]

Hi Nick & Philbo.

[lol] I had a hunch.

Was your spider sense tingling PB? Hehe! [lol]

Welcome back Lusty [biggrin]

Hey i worked out how to polish that turd, just load it with so much Cascade, that its all you can taste [love]

Thanks for the welcome back. I appreciate it. [joyful]

If my memory serves me well though, good luck convincing Chad (Canadian Eh!L) of your polishing skills with the cascade on that turd. [lol]

For the record, I believe you Nick! [happy]

Cheers,

Anthony.

If my memory serves me well though, good luck convincing Chad (Canadian Eh!L) of your polishing skills with the cascade on that turd. [lol]

Yep, those cannucks can be stubborn lot!! Not sure where Chad is at the mo,as i haven't seen a post for a couple of days, maybe he's gone bush, tree planting or something?

Perhaps he means the "About ourselves" thread {which needs a bump} and another say What ya brewing eh?!

I don't know what criteria PB2 uses to decide if a thread should be sticky, but the following should be considered.

Brew day, whatcha got, eh!

This thread is a great place to discuss trials and tribulations as well as ideas and suggestions. it is also good to read back through the numerous posts when looking for answers and inspiration, especially as the search function is a bit dodge.

About Ourselves

A good way for old and new members to tell a bit about themselves as well as learning a bit about those who have already posted info. its also a good place for a yarn about interests and hobbies, many of which, we all seem to have in common.

STC1000

This is a constant source of discussion, especially with new members who are here to improve their beer. most will agree that temp control is probably one of the most important things that can be done to improve taste an quality. The thread contains wiring diagrams and good ideas as to how to make things tidy and practical.

Anywhooo, watcha think??

Archived