Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

Hi everyone. I didn't get my DIY kit for Christmas - bought it for myself for 2012 [lol]

Anyway, I have already bottled the kit beer, have a GB in the FV at the moment and have purchased ingredients to make my next one - a very dark IPA. Will make sure I get the ginger taste out of the FV thoroughly.

I've called my brewery "The First Sin Brewery" [devil]

Cheers,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah' date=' I misunderstood - FG stands for final gravity, so is the term used for the Specific Gravity (SG) reading [u']after[/u] fermentation has taken place. The SG reading before you pitch your yeast is usually called the Original Gravity (OG).

An OG of 1.038 and FG of 1.010 gives you 3.68% ABV, however it's possible your first reading was inaccurate - if the fermentables are not mixed together properly you'll get a lower reading.

A FG of 1.010 sounds like the fermentation is pretty complete to me, so your beer has finished fermenting. You could bottle now for sure, but all of the more experienced brewers on here recommend leaving the beer for a week or so to allow the yeast to "clean up after themselves" - this means they eat the undesirable byproducts of the initial fermentation leaving a clearer, better tasting beer behind.

EDIT - edited because I realised you had provided some of the info I was asking for [biggrin]

If i can ask quickly here; I pitched yeast a bit warm, 30deg. It is about 7 days and not a stable FG yet. When I do get a stable FG, should I leave it for a week, as the above quote specifies.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody[happy]

Henrik from Denmark here..

Just bought my first diy beer kit and made the following lager, this was bottled on feb. 18. for 2nd fermenting. Just one week til tasting, can't wait![w00t]

Now an Unreal Ale is in the FV, looking very much forward to this..[biggrin]

Question: Should the wort stay in the FV for a week more after fermentation has stopped (FG about 1008-1012)?

Welcome to the forum Henrik.

Your beer will benefit from an extra week in the FV as the yeast will clean things up and it will also be clearer.

But your beer won't be bad if you bottle after reaching FG.

You'll find it easier to leave it in the FV longer once you have built up a stock of beer to drink.

Good luck with it all.

Hi Guys,

I just started my first brew of beer today. Its International Series Coopers Canadian Blond.

I used the following to make the brew:

1 can (1.7kg) Canadian Blonde

1kg Brewers Sugar(although brew enhancer is recommended)

The sachet of yeast that came with the kit (code 19411)

After sanitising all equipment and filling to 23ltr mark on fermentation bucket on which I have a 'stick' on thermometer, I took a sample but am not sure which is the correct temperature value to record:

Thermometer was Brown on 32oC, Blue-Green on 30oC & Dark Blue on 28oC when I pitched the yeast. Which is the correct value, there is 4 degrees of temperature difference! [unsure]

I need advice as it affects the calculation of original gravity! I read off the wrong scale too when I took the measurement with hydrometer, silly me [roll] it was 6% on the potential alcohol (v/v) scale. The hydrometer is calibrated for sg @ 20oC. Lining up roughly the scales from the reading that was approx 1.037 on the sg scale.

Bearing in mind that the temperature appeared somewhere between 28oC and 32oC when I took the sample, I'm assuming that I need to apply a temperature correction factor!

Is there a website which I can go to for this information any help is much appreciated.

I am hoping to be able to bottle the brew in 10-14 days in 500ml Amber Coopers PET bottles.

Another question, what is the correct amount of priming sugar for a 500ml bottle?

I got carbonation drops with my kit enough for 60 * 375ml or 30 * 750ml which is enough for 22.5 Litres or 45 * 500ml bottles!

Is it a bad idea to mix a little granular sugar with the carbonation drops when bottling?

Welcome to the Forum Alan.

I struggle with colours so I judge the temperature by the brightest bar which tends to be the middle one. It is a ball park temp anyway as you are measuring it through the plastic and only from the wort near the themometer.

In your case it near enough to 30 degrees.

Here is a calculator to adjust hydrometer readings for temperature:

Hydrometer Temperature Adjustment

Most of the calculators (including this one) are based on a calibration at 15 degrees. So I guess you would reduce your temperature by 5 degrees for the calculator.

Therefore, a SG of 1037 at 30 degrees would be 1039 at 20 degrees. As you will see, a few degrees variance in temperature doesn't make that much of a difference.

As for primimg, Ross is correct. There is more risk of overpriming that way but I guess if it is measured and calculated correctly it would be OK. You would want to be confident of your measurements though.

But it would be a pain using both though. I reckon you either go with 1 carbonation drop per 500ml bottle or bulk prime with sugar.

On another note, its not the best to be pitching yeast at 30 degrees. Try to get the temp down as soon as possible and brew as close to 20 degrees as you can get. 18-20 degrees is perfect but a bit higher is no big deal.

Thanks Ross, Hairy & BillK,

I think that the Hydrometer link you gave Bill is what I will use.

So 1.037 @ 30oC corrects to 1.0396 @ 20oC.

The brew is fermenting nicely in the attic space, I have a brew belt on the fv and the air temp there is usually between 14-17oC.

About pitching the yeast the kit recommends 21-27oC but if the wort is between 18-32oC "at this point the wort is vulnerable & prompt addition of yeast is more important than ideal temperature"

The next brew which I do, I will use more cold water than I did for my first to try and keep the wort near to 21oC!

Alan [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. My name is Phil and I've been brewing on and off for around 7 years. I've named my brewery 'Benderbrau' which I'm sure at least some will recognise. I'm situated in Brahma Lodge, SA.

Until the last 6 months I've just used cans and different BE combinations. My beers have always been good, partly due to patience. If I don't have anything old enough to drink, I'll buy beer for a while. Thankfully that never really happens. [happy]

Recently I've moved to different malts and hops, with my current brew being a Coopers Pale Ale, 1kg light malt, 250g Dex, and 25g Nelson Sauvin in a home made tea bag, steeped and then chucked in.

I've been reading this forum for a while and taken lots of useful information on board. Not sure what I'll have to offer compared to some of the wonderful enthusiasts who post here, but thought it only fair and fun to join in!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! My name's Paul, and I'm just recently addicted to brewing my own. I've named my brewery Bent Frame (after a few it gets like that...). My first batch, which is in the bottle now; is a Coopers Australian Pale Ale. My brew of choice when visiting other establishments.

I look forward to learning by experimentation and hearing what others are doing.

I'm planning my next batch to be Old Spiced, which I found on this site. Sounds like a good winter brew to have in-hand.

Hello Paul! Welcome!

Been meaning to try the Old Spiced (partly because there's a song about it I know) so let us know how you go. If you're like me and have been doing standard kits until recently, prepare to be dazzled by some of the knowledgeable folks posting here. My advice if you've just started is to stick at it and don't give up if a brew or two goes wrong. The people on this forum will talk you through damn near any crisis and the support is comforting to say the least.

Happy brewing!

• 1 month later...

My introduction (oops, put part of it in my first post...). People call me Coxy, probably because of my last name. So I've got the very unimaginative brewery name of Coxy's Brewery. I'm in Brisbane.

I've been brewing since September last year (starter kit was a Father's day present) and I'm really enjoying the process and the enjoyment of it.

So far done:

- stock standard Lager kit

- Australian Pale Ale (dry hopped with Amarillo)

- Lager kit steeped with Amarillo

- Strawberry Blonde

- Unreal Ale (just bottled)

Looking at trying a Pilsener or Euro Lager next, now that the temperature here in Brisbane is getting cooler.

Welcome Coxy.

Sounds like you're off to a better start than most people, what with the hops and what not. You've picked a great forum to join. The folks here know damn near everything and will help you through any crisis/experiment/endeavour.

Happy brewing mate.[happy]

Cheers Phil. I've been lurking here for ages! Got so many good tips off people and I think that's a good part of why I've done so well (so far).

It's been good having friends over and give them a taste of my brews and get positive comments. Even had some people wanting to buy some off me. LOL

It's really a enjoyable hobby. Loving it.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody !

no newbies posted here in a while . Everyones brewing I guess , good weather for it [biggrin]

Only new to brewing , my first 3 brews were all coopers ( Euro lager & English bitter ) keen to learn more about partial mashing , hops/grain/other varieties.

Looking forward to talkin beer with youse in the forums [biggrin]

Archived