Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see another Tassie guy, gee it's getting crowded down here now, wonder when the rest of Aust is going to catch up?

Welcome Darren.

Thanks BillK

Do we really want the rest of the world to catch on to our little paradise here?

Jonesy Here! Brewer at the Blue Arsed Fly Brewery in south west victoria. House beer is a lovely draught but currently brewing a lager. Maybe one day i'll try a cider or ginger beer, we will see how i go.

Cups Up!!!

Hi Jonesy...

Welcome from a fellow newbie. About to do a Coopers Ginger Beer with 2kg of raw sugar tonight to keep the missus and mother happy and to try the basic recipe. After that doing a Blackrock Cider at Dad's request. I told him it would be cheaper to use apple juice as per comments on here but he said he wanted it a dry cider and the recipe I read said it would be like Mercury dry (local cider). Was his money lol.

Cups up indeed [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi y'all, call my brewery Ale sanctuary. Still waiting for my first brew attempt to ferment, currently on day two.[alien] Pitched my yeast at 32oC added luke warm water instead of cold and applied thermometre at 20 litre mark.[crying] oops. End of day two smells nice lots froth, maintained at 22oC since yeast added. Very cloudy and not many particles (break)? clinging to sides. Will remove and clean sleeve tomorrow afternoon although have read and watched many people say allowing oxygen into fermenting process is bad directions in kit express otherwise.(In order to remove sleeve lid must be removed and replaced). Here's to hoping.[biggrin]

Welcome aboard Mark!

32 degrees is a bit too warm to pitch the yeast. Actually it is a lot too warm. If you learnt from it thats a good thing.

Don't worry about about oxygen when removing the collar. There will still be C02 being produced which creates a protective layer above the wort.

Just don't leave the lid off for too long. Oxygen is one thing but you don't want dust and dirt floating in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

New to home brewing, just started a batch of Irish Ale.

Have bottled my first batch, it came with the kit I bought, and will try it in a week.

My brewery is The New Haven and is in Cootamundra.

Cheers,

Lynchy [happy]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm new to the guild. My brewery is Le Coq and Roo in ACT. I'm trying to develop a winter beer in the style of Rogers but with my own spice twist. Mind you, I've never brewed a dark pils before and not even sure if Rogers is closest to the dark pils recipe on here.

The greatest beer I've ever had and only dream of replicating one day is the Belgian, Silly Saison. It's a blended beer and so I'm assuming near impossible for the hobbyist brewer.

Looking forward to replicating and re-designing.

Le Coq

Hello everyone way across the pond,I bought 2 kits for myself on craigs list and I"m on my 4th day of brewing an Imperial Stout and an IPA.

I"m glad I found this Forum on the DVD. I learned alot from the posts already.

Thanks and Cheers from America

Judsy,

Summer Mt brewery

Hi All!! I'm Mark and I love BEER!!

I've lived most of my life working in a position that involved frequent travel (3 or 4 cities a week). No chance for home brew but a company credit card that allowed me to enjoy sampling bears from all over the world. Life was great!!

More recently I met the other love of my life (my wife) and settled down in the one place for the first time in 30 years. Life is still great and now I can brew!!

I've called my Brewery "Cooper Place Brewery" because that's where I live.... In Cooper Place Morayfield just north of Brisbane in Queensland :) How good is that!!

A brief summery of my journey so far.

1- Join the Order (No home brew kit yet)

2- Wife buys me a Coopers DIY kit for Christmas (Good Girl but how ever did you know! ;) !)

3- Start first brew IMMEDIATELY!!!!

4- Watch Video

5- Pitch at about 30deg

6- Research the effects of pitching at high temp

7- Decide I need to get temp stable so search eBay for a fridge

8- Win working fridge at auction for $1.25 :)

9- Put FV in ridge and turn on.

10- Sit back and have a beer while waiting for temp to come down

11- Forget about fridge and have another beer

12- FV temp is at 20 deg OHHH NOOOO

13- Turn fridge off and BREATH!!

13- Research temperature control.

14- Buy temp regulator for fridge.

Now as you can see that's all backwards and upside down but I'm getting there.

Cheers :)

Mark

Welcome Mark.

Good to see you have dived right in to your new hobby/obsession[cool]

I feel a bit ripped off at the moment...$1.25 for a fridge ...I paid $1.36 for mine[crying] .

Once you get it set up right with proper temp control you will not look back.

Hey guys/gals.

Name is John, was gifted a brew kit for Christmas and just started my first brew today. Made a tiny error to begin with, but it's all sorted now. Looking forward to chatting about the best beer in the world with like minded people.

You'll find my brew in Reservoir, Melbourne.

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

I've been posting a bit in the forum, but thought I better introduce myself. Paul here, and my brewery is called 'Squalid Mud' and is located in Footscray Victoria.

First beer in the fermenter is a Mexican Cerveza kit because I love this style of beer in the summer. In general though I am a huge ale fan - IPA, APA, Old English Ales - next on my radar is a grain and extract recipe that is supposed to be a clone for "Old Speckled Hen".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Got a coopers home brew kit for christmas, started brewing on new years eve! just following the instructions that it came with and doing the coopers lager.

i have named my brewery The Funky Gibbon Brewery, and im located in Lobethal in South Australia.

The wife is already talking about getting more bottles for me and maybe another kit!

Ah, I misunderstood - FG stands for final gravity, so is the term used for the Specific Gravity (SG) reading after fermentation has taken place. The SG reading before you pitch your yeast is usually called the Original Gravity (OG).

An OG of 1.038 and FG of 1.010 gives you 3.68% ABV, however it's possible your first reading was inaccurate - if the fermentables are not mixed together properly you'll get a lower reading.

A FG of 1.010 sounds like the fermentation is pretty complete to me, so your beer has finished fermenting. You could bottle now for sure, but all of the more experienced brewers on here recommend leaving the beer for a week or so to allow the yeast to "clean up after themselves" - this means they eat the undesirable byproducts of the initial fermentation leaving a clearer, better tasting beer behind.

EDIT - edited because I realised you had provided some of the info I was asking for [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there My Name is Brent and I have jumped into the deep end of home brewing.

I have made a couple of Kit brews that have been very successfull andi have now gone into the experimental stage of playing with hops, hop teas and the like.

i am only new to this game but i have been drinking for a while now so i am lookig foward to recieving the knowledge and wisdom from the brewing bretheran.

Anyways i would like to say hi and you will hear from me sometime in the future.

I have also called my Brewery Brentice of Awesomeness because most of me mates recon im a pretty rad sought of a bloke, anyways thanks again and i look foward to looking at the vast information here on the forum

Cheers

Hi all,

First time brewer here and I have to admit I think Im hooked.. Only done the one kit so far, it was the Mexican Cerveza, it went pretty well and tastes pretty good.. Though the first bottle was pretty flat (think I was a bit too keen to taste it) and the second last night was a bit better.. So Im going to leave the rest in the box for another week or so and see how we go..

Anyways I hop to get a lot of info here and even give and share my experiences. I got really keen and even set up my own blog. Mostly so I can start to share my experience, but also use as a comparison as I go further into the process...

See you guys around...

Phil

Hi all got my brew kit for Xmas after dropping lots of hints. As soon as I got back home I was straight into it, clearing out the laundry cupboard to make space for my first brew. I was quite amazed that it all went so well, and have now had my first batch of lager(ale yeast) bottled and sitting waiting to be consumed, but I must admit I have sampled a few bottles and hmm hm [love] FANTASTIC, I can only assume that it will get better. I have just put on a batch of ginger beer hope that it goes just as good. BTW my brewery name is Orlando Ales.

Archived