Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

pinched

(I've been busy today!)

I had some Blonde Ale bottles up in my attic space... probably getting up close to 40ºC during the day. It was up there cooking for a reason though' date=' in the hope of curing a phenolic 'band-aid' problem. So far 3 bottles have given up under the added pressure, and sadly after close to 3 months now the phenols still remain [img']annoyed[/img]

Absolutely love the vids mate but 1 slight suggestion' date=' any way you can add a link to the brewing vids to take you straight to the tasting vids?[/quote']

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that (and vice versa) ... just need to get motivated enough to spend an hour or so cross-referencing everything.

Absolutely love the vids mate but 1 slight suggestion' date=' any way you can add a link to the brewing vids to take you straight to the tasting vids?[/quote']

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that (and vice versa) ... just need to get motivated enough to spend an hour or so cross-referencing everything.

Yeah time is hard to come bye these days, Cheers mate

• 2 weeks later...
pinched

I reckon there's more to (some) gushers than just over-carbonation. I've had the odd gusher in among an otherwise perfectly sound bulk-primed batch. In fact just a couple of weeks ago I opened up a chilled PET and subsequently watched it vomit out the entire contents of the bottle onto the bench top. Opened up a second chilled bottle from the same batch - no problem! unsure

pinched

Nice video Ruddy. WOW that 3rd buggar really let go didn't it?!! w00t

I've currently got some gushers in bottles that I am intermittently still drinking. One is my Blueberry Porter from last year' date=' & there is no way I'm tipping those out!

Provided the beer still tastes fine, I chill them down in the fridge as per normal, & then open them in the sink leaving the cap off the bottle. The foaming slowly works it's way up the neck of the bottle & begins to overflow into the sink.

Eventually it does stop. This can take some time where when it finally does, you may wish to clean the uncapped bottle & place it back in the fridge to re-chill it. The process effectively de-gasses the beer.

It's a painful process I admit, but provided the beer tastes fine, it can be worth the hassle.

This was one of the primary reasons I moved to kegging my beer. Removing the process of secondary fermentation (carbonation) by the yeast, also removes any chance of carbonation inconsistency.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

• 3 weeks later...

I've lodged an appeal and it should be approved whenever they get to it. How annoying though! It was cute too because I had Jonah in a carrier on my front the whole time so you could see his head bobbing and arms flapping.

If that doesn't work what I'll do is re-edit the video and upload a different cut.