Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

Hi Ruddy. smile

Beerlust's
smile

I enjoyed your video on a number of levels. cool

The yeast journey' date=' the "resurrection chamber", & just the general flow of the video as it did resemble the mayhem of my extract/mini-mash partial brew days pretty closely. [img']lol[/img]

I was a little concerned with the appearance of the starter once you removed it the following day from the cupboard (sorry, resurrection chamber). It should have had a noticeable foam on top to indicate it had begun fermenting the starter wort. It just looked a little lifeless. Before you turfed the Wyeast package did you notice whether the nutrient sachet inside the smack pack had burst or not? unsure

Good luck with the brew, & thanks for the recipe mention. smile

Cheers,

The very enthusiastic guy. wink

The nutrient sachet doesn't absolutely need to be burst in order for the yeast to work, but obviously it helps. I imagine it'd be more difficult to burst it open when the main package is already swelled though. The gladwrap on the starter looked like it was bulging a bit so maybe it did work? unsure

I've done the dog biscuit recipe a couple of times, when I was with my ex who had two dogs. The grain from one recipe made an absolute crapload of them. They didn't taste half bad either lol and of course the dogs loved them.

I enjoyed your video on a number of levels. cool

Glad you liked it.

The nutrient packet had definitely not burst as I managed to burst it myself ... eventually. Otto - you're spot on in saying it was much harder with the main packet having swelled up. I was probably at it for 10 or 15 minutes trying to get it to pop in various ways, but eventually it went. The yeast seemed to get off to a fairly quick start in the main brew though too, so perhaps that's a good sign.

• 1 month later...

Still refining it. The first 2 batches were a bit thick (cooked the 2nd longer) and lasted just over a week before spoiling. The last batch, thinned it out more and almost got 2 weeks of which only a few were left. Still refining the process but close to nailing it with our system.

Hey man, great videos! Ha, I love the style you present them in and your Dog. Just watched your Pale Ale all grain presentation and I'm thinking to myself 'is that it!?' I had in my mind that all grain would be some eight day long process where I have to voyage to strange lands to collect the stuff but hey, this looks easier! Hmmm... might have to think about this.

Is all grain really a better beer?

Well' date=' be bored no more!

I present to you

, my new YouTube channel smile

Started off with a nice easy Toucan. I'll keep making these on various topics in a way that is hopefully kind of funny and entertaining instead of the usual tedium that you get.

Hey man' date=' great videos! Ha, I love the style you present them in and your Dog. Just watched your Pale Ale all grain presentation and I'm thinking to myself 'is that it!?' I had in my mind that all grain would be some eight day long process where I have to voyage to strange lands to collect the stuff but hey, this looks easier! Hmmm... might have to think about this.

Is all grain really a better beer?

Well, be bored no more!

I present to you

, my new YouTube channel smile

Started off with a nice easy Toucan. I'll keep making these on various topics in a way that is hopefully kind of funny and entertaining instead of the usual tedium that you get.

I tried a full grain beer yesterday the first one ever ,and it shits in better head a lot more flavour more body I am now looking to start BIAB

and I have just got my brew fridge up and running allthough I have a coopers lager in it .

Hi Ruddy.

Nice video on the Kolsch. smile

I admit I was a little concerned early on with your Wyeast smack pack preparation time-frame against when you brewed the beer, but then realized due to your "no-chill" method it wouldn't be pitched until the following day. happy

Depending on your own thoughts on the end beer once you've tasted it, from the grist you have used this time & your liking for Munich malt, don't be afraid to throw a good whack of Vienna malt grain into your malt bill next time around, as I'm led to believe its usage in the better representations of the style is more common.

Admittedly I've only brewed a handful of this style of beer, but the Pilsner/Vienna malt bill appears to give the right colour & flavour when used with the Wyeast 2565 yeast. Use wheat malt to create head development, & maybe some CaraPils to help hold it when in the glass.

Cheers,

Lusty.