Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

I'm actually planning on making a vienna lager smash when the weather cools down, so I'm looking forward to trying it out when that time comes.

I kinda just went the standard route with this kolsch ... which is what I usually like to do first time 'round. Slightly regretting the no-munuch choice, but oh well smile

I'm actually planning on making a vienna lager smash when the weather cools down' date=' so I'm looking forward to trying it out when that time comes.

I kinda just went the standard route with this kolsch ... which is what I usually like to do first time 'round. Slightly regretting the no-munuch choice, but oh well [img']smile[/img]

It'll still end up a nice beer. smile

After you've tasted it at a decent aging point, you'll know what to alter to improve it.

I don't read much from you about harvesting yeast from your brews. If you don't as a rule of thumb, this time around perhaps save yourself the purchase of a future Wyeast Kolsch pack & harvest yourself some of the large yeast amount available post fermentation in your FV.

I don't always harvest from Wyeast liquid yeast smack packs that I purchase, as I don't often re-brew that beer quickly again. But if I do have a plan to brew a beer that suits this yeast, damn straight I harvest post fermentation, & rinse!

At around $12.00 to purchase these specialized yeast strains, you really need to be harvesting & re-pitching them at least once into a new brew to justify the purchase price.

If you're about reproducing commercial beers, using these liquid strains goes about 2/3 of the way there.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Even at that price it's over seven billion yeast cells per dollar - what else can you get seven billion of for a buck?

Kidding aside, I'm not making a habit of using liquid yeast just yet so I don't mind the "expense" (remember - it's only adding about $2/carton of beer). I do plan on trying to harvest some Coopers commercial yeast soon though - just need to decide on a recipe to do it with.

PS. Always taking ideas for new videos. Currently the list of potential videos (some of which have come from here) includes:

• Boiling hops
  • Brew day with guest commentary
  • Brewery tour
  • Brewing with Peter/Tristan (friends, new to brewing)
  • Fails
  • "Lies"
  • Re-hydrating yeast (how to)
  • Smoking malt
  • Steeping grain
  • Yeast harvesting
  • Yeast starters

Some of those I need a bit of practice on before I can actually do them, and some I've never even done. "Lies" is probably the closest at this stage. All will be informative and hilarious smile

I just watched one of your videos for the first time - the oatmeal stout. How did that turn out by the way?

I saw you driving down to the toy store and I was thinking 'hmmm that road looks familiar..' and I realised I had driven down that road just this morning - we must live pretty close to each other.

I did notice that at the end of the boil you drained the urn straight into the cube. I've always used a silicon hose from the tap of my urn to my cube, as I want to avoid hot side aeration. To be honest I've never tried not using the hose to see if there ends up a difference, what's your opinion on that?

edit - And I've also noticed you fill your urn with 35 litres just like I do, in the same urn I have, and boil for an hour like I do, but you end up with 27 litres! I'm lucky to end up with 22. 23 max. I do leave a bit at the bottom of the urn, but it would be 2 litres max.

What sorcery is this??

I'm rich! One HUNDRED YouTube dollary-doos coming my way' date=' and all it took was a full day every other weekend for a year making brewing videos.

Thanks for watching everyone [img']smile[/img]

what the? i always thought that was a myth?

what do you have todo/achieve to receive payment from youtube?

thats 3 AG brews paid for right there!

I just watched one of your videos for the first time - the oatmeal stout. How did that turn out by the way?

Ah' date=' the answer to that lies in my latest

!

I did notice that at the end of the boil you drained the urn straight into the cube. I've always used a silicon hose from the tap of my urn to my cube, as I want to avoid hot side aeration. To be honest I've never tried not using the hose to see if there ends up a difference, what's your opinion on that?

My opinion is that you're doing it correctly and I'm being sloppy. I will fix my tap one day ...

And I've also noticed you fill your urn with 35 litres just like I do, in the same urn I have, and boil for an hour like I do, but you end up with 27 litres! I'm lucky to end up with 22. 23 max ... what sorcery is this??

Wow, no idea, but that's a big difference. Perhaps you lose more between the end of the mash and the start of the boil?

what the? i always thought that was a myth?

what do you have todo/achieve to receive payment from youtube?

thats 3 AG brews paid for right there!

You have to monetise your account and then whenever you collect over $100 in your adsense account they send you the money. Of course, each view is worth about 0.01c, so it takes a while.

Ah' date=' the answer to that lies in my latest

!

My opinion is that you're doing it correctly and I'm being sloppy. I will fix my tap one day ...

And I've also noticed you fill your urn with 35 litres just like I do, in the same urn I have, and boil for an hour like I do, but you end up with 27 litres! I'm lucky to end up with 22. 23 max ... what sorcery is this??

Wow, no idea, but that's a big difference. Perhaps you lose more between the end of the mash and the start of the boil?

I just realised I do 80 minute boils. I'm an idiot.

Hi again Brew Dudes

Sorry to keep this slightly off-topic tangent going but.... I recently picked up a 40lt Crown urn, false bottom and two piece valve (to replace original tap) and didn't get a chance to run any tests with it before flying back out to work for a couple of weeks. I am wondering what boil off rates and kettle loss you are getting (I know there are some figures mentioned above but the actual final numbers are not actually clear to me?). Also, do you usually tilt the urn to get the last dregs out when emptying into your cube or just run down to the level of the tap (kettle loss)?

I am just trying to work out some recipe volumes but it is a bit hard with out a rough idea of those losses.

Cheers

Pilch

• 3 weeks later...

Haha brilliant vids. I saw this topic a while ago but never opened it. Then came across your vids on YouTube earlier this week not putting two and two together first!

Anyway, the videos are brilliant. Just the right length (if your able to "keep em comin!") and they are informative for a newbie like me. Actually seeing techniques that are mentioned in the forums is priceless!

If you don't mind me saying though the real star of the show is the dog (both real and puppet).

Good work!

Yep the pulley system definitely makes life easier for lifting out those bags. I basically do the same thing, except for using an old wire fridge shelf to rest the bag on, then untying the rope from the bag so I can hang it up on a hook that sits above the urn.

There was an interesting thread on AHB recently about trub levels in BIAB, one of the guys inadvertently did a no mash out and then a "slow lift" of the bag over about 10 minutes or so, rather than just yanking it out, and ended up with a lot less trub in the bottom by the end of the boil. I've yet to try it myself because my pulley system is a bit more ghetto than his, so it would be a bit of a pain standing there holding a rope for 10 mins and as a result I haven't been bothered to yet, but I wouldn't mind having a go at it and seeing if it does make any difference. Might try it on my next brew day.

Cheers

Kelsey

I do, but not usually while it's sitting above the urn. My usual process is to just hang it on the hook and let it drain by itself for about 20 minutes, by this stage it's usually a slow drip, and I remove it to another hook where it sits above a bucket. At this point I usually give it a squeeze and then leave it to drain until about 30 minutes from end of boil, when I tip the excess wort into the urn.

For some reason though, I've been getting more trub recently, over the last year or so, even though this process is the same process I've always used. Maybe it's to do with the batches of grain or maybe the Brewbrite isn't working as well as it should to settle it out properly. Maybe its' due to stirring the mash more often which isn't something I always did. I still have to get a big stainless bowl to cut the bottom out of as well, so I can put this in upside down at the end of the boil and then whirlpool all the crud into it, which should hopefully see me able to get more wort out before the trub escapes the confines of the bowl.

Can't wait to see the results of that exbeeriment KR, you must keep us posted.

I am impressed that you still toy around with extracts, I dont think I will ever make an extract brew again? They all taste like dodgy.......well, Home Brew?! The couple (3) AG batches that I have made now have all tasted like good craft beer, I am loving it.

Keep up the good work on the vid's Mate, they have played an important role in my brewing learning journey thus far.

Cheers