Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Random question, do you keep your consumption up with your brewing, i.e. have enough empty bottles ready for the next brew. Or are you just buying new lots of bottles as you need them and have a large stockpile of beers to drink in the shed?

Just asking because I have 90 bottles and by keeping my one fermenter going full time I struggle to have enough empty bottles at times, and you run 2 fermenters?

I know random question.

Jeez I wish I had that problem. lol Mine's the opposite - too many empty kegs and not enough fermenters! tongue

When the weather starts to warm up a bit towards the end of August/beginning of September I might do a quick 21L kit brew or two fermented in my bottling bucket at ambient without cold crashing or anything, just as keg fillers. Will see how things go first.

Random question' date=' do you keep your consumption up with your brewing, i.e. have enough empty bottles ready for the next brew. Or are you just buying new lots of bottles as you need them and have a large stockpile of beers to drink in the shed?[/quote']

I have 210 pet bottles and 110 glass, meaning I can store roughly eight full batches before I start running out of space. At the moment I'm running at about 60% capacity, so there's plenty of room for more brewing cool

Hey Gator, when you say you have 90 bottles, what capacity are they? I have bottles of a few different sizes, the majority and by far my favourite is the pint 568mL bottle. I prefer to talk in batches like Ruddy has done.

I have enough bottles for approx 5 x batches. My brews are usually 23L or 20L, depending on the recipe.

5 for me is a good balance because it matches my desire to brew with my storage with my drinking pace. I run two fermenters too and since it's lager season, I will have a lot of beers bottle carbonating and then bottle lagering for a few months. This still leaves enough bottles to brew and drink ales. Plus I'll keep trying my lagers so that will free up bottles.

I don't see myself buying bottles for a long, long time, or ever again. I haven't broke any yet, the ones I give away to friends I get back (eventually) and only once have I gone to a party and forgot to put my bottles aside and they ended up buried in the recycling.

Having bottled sizes from 330mL, 450mL, 500mL, 568mL, 640mL, 750mL, I have decided on my favourites. 750mL is just a bit big for my liking if I want to try a few diff beers in a night. 330-345mL is too many bottles to clean and cap. the 450mL grolsch are good because it's so easy to seal them up. The clear winner is the 500 and 568mL size bottle - perfect for a coupla pints.

Perhaps you need to drink faster!

Hey Gator' date=' when you say you have 90 bottles, what capacity are they?[/quote']

750ml PET, so roughly 3 batches. But I like to do a ginger beer or cider in one of those batches and let them condition a bit longer. So 2 batches for my beers. However very newb at brewing. Only started 6-7 months ago. Plan to go down a BIAB + kegerator route eventually.

Atm just perfecting the process and trying to learn.

Thanks for the latest video Ruddy, the "Pilsner 2".

You crack me up!

...the iron in the fridge...had me in stitches,

not sure what happened in the video after that.

I definitely have the same weird humour!

Cheers,

Andy

Oh yeah, and Max sanitizing the container!! lol

Gday King Ruddagercool ive spent the morning watching your vids which are really helpful, i like your style nice n simple. Funnily enough i have a boiler that came in a turbo 500 kit that has never seen the light of day. Unlike your urn it doesn't have a thermostat. I think its 20 or 25L. I just went out and opened it and low and behold it has a 1 page instruction inside, which says to make it to 10L and top it off to 23L after cooling.

I just got a couple q's for ya. I saw that you are using a program or website, what is it? And do you adjust your mash temp according to beer style?

Thanks in advance. Im really looking forward to trying the BIAB method.

GTE7uuP.jpg

!!!

Thanks to you and your latest video. I am making this Wednesday night. Told the GF about it and when planning out the shopping she wanted a roast and told me to make this.

Keen to give it a try! Won't be using Fosters tho... Did the beer add any taste?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...