Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

I'm still continuing my Angels fest in memory of Doc.

I now have all the studio albums (recorded with Doc) on CD, as well as a Greatest Hits combo CD/DVD.

I still have to get Liveline (which I had on cassette back in the day) as I still think it can't be beaten when it comes to live albums.

I plan on annoying the neighbours with it again a bit today, and may dust off the guitar and amp to try to get some polish on the lead licks.

I can play the rhythmic "nick nicks" well enough for almost all tracks, but love to tear away with a bit of lead guitar now and again.

Listening to Rick Brewster play his licks and riffs it sounds simple, but in practice you discover the real reason he doesn't move on stage!

I'm still in two minds about Dave Gleeson having replaced Doc; I get that as of 1999 after the car accident Doc was simply not well enough to record with them, and that great musicians that they are, the Brewsters are not exactly the easiest guys to get along with hence the myriad lineup changes over the years, and the current lineup now having 3 Brewsters, including Sam (John's son).

I feel somewhat conflicted in my loyalty to Doc's memory, and his distaste at the guys continuing on with the name without him, but on the other hand you can't record new material with someone who's passed away, and the rift that the Brewsters had with Doc (not the other way around as they'd claim), does tarnish the reputation and current lineup.

I'm sure they're a good band, but they'll never be the great band they were, and the venues they're currently touring is testament to that.

Gleeso may be able to sing, and move around on stage, but he is a replacement singer, not the replacement frontman!

I just hope the royalties after Doc's passing keep making their way to his family, who have clearly had a very hard time over the years watching Doc deteriorate, and then succumb to cancer; not just a damaging and painful disease, but one that can have a terrible impact on the finances as well, as anyone who's had experience of a losing someone to cancer will attest.

I'm listening to Alestorm!!! devil

I've mentioned these guys before, and stated that they are the greatest drinking band ever, but their newest clip even surpassed my own drunken expectations.

Even if you're not into heavy metal, I dare you to listen to this one all the way through, beer in hand, and not be singing along with gusto by the end.

WE ARE HERE TO DRINK YOUR BEER!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently listening to the Marcus Hook Roll Band - Tales Of Old Grand Daddy

Re-released. Originally recorded in 1973. This is Malcolm & Angus Young (AC/DC) in their formative years collaborating with their older brother George (The Easybeats/Flash & the Pan) for a "one off" recording. It's not for everyone, & the music is not AC/DC-like.

I'm an AC/DC nut, & it's actually a pretty somber time right now as it has been reported that Malcolm Young is currently quite ill. Although it's not been made public, it appears to be a cancer of sorts. Enough so that his nephew Stevie (Son of their eldest brother Stephen) had to help out with finishing the recording of their latest album due to be released within the next 6-9 months.

Rolling Stone magazine: AC/DC finish new Album/Malcolm Young health update

AC/DC biographer warns: Malcolm Young may not return to the band

Whatever Malcolm is going through, I hope he survives it & comes out the other side in good shape.

Cheers,

Anthony.

The voices in my head telling me not to kill the kids when I get home.

The Carnival is Over - The Seeker

Plus one for the seekers. Quite a few years ago when watching the last episode of Season 1 of Underbelly, right at the end they arrested the fat boy to a rendition of that song. It brought back memories, so now I'd listen to some of their albums several times a year ever since.

The Angels' date=' go Doc. [img']innocent[/img] devil

Now we're talking. cool

When I was a 'strapping young lad' wink I remember going to one of their shows @ The Bridgeway back in the late 80's. The amber fluid was going down a treat that night, so much so that I spent a little bit too much time right in front of the large speaker wall. whistling

Following the show, I had a ringing in my ears for almost 3 weeks before it finally subsided. pinched

Great gig though! Those boys really know how to play. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.