Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

17 hours ago, ben 10 said:

Looks great - any coconut left?

I think there is still a slight taste of the coconut.

I couldn't drink it early but as it aged past year one, it started to taste Ok.

I have about 6 left, good for Black and Tan

• Like 4

I've got the odd bottle in the beer cupboard that are old. I was just going to chuck them.

They were from my early brewing days. I doubt they taste good.

Anyhow, I thought it was the right time of year to break out the SMOTY.

IMG20240609160950.jpg

IMG20240609161804.jpg

• Like 12

Calafati, my Vienna Lager. Not quite as clear as it should be but it is still very young. Malty and sweet with a mild bitterness. Somehow I don’t think the keg will last particularly long 😀

IMG_0268.thumb.jpeg.9e6cebb188a6974bad8bf82ae20a7f5e.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Calafati, my Vienna Lager. Not quite as clear as it should be but it is still very young. Malty and sweet with a mild bitterness. Somehow I don’t think the keg will last particularly long 😀

IMG_0268.thumb.jpeg.9e6cebb188a6974bad8bf82ae20a7f5e.jpeg

Looks a bit like a Marzen AK! Nice work!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Looks a bit like a Marzen AK! Nice work!

Vienna and Märzen are very similar. They were both created by friends, one in Munich, the other in Vienna. Vienna uses mainly Vienna malt and Märzen funnily enough Munich. Märzen is a little darker because of the higher EBC of Munich malt vs Vienna. I like them both and brew them both, alternating between the two.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Vienna and Märzen are very similar. They were both created by friends, one in Munich, the other in Vienna. Vienna uses mainly Vienna malt and Märzen funnily enough Munich. Märzen is a little darker because of the higher EBC of Munich malt vs Vienna. I like them both and brew them both, alternating between the two.

I’d love to do a Märzen. There’s a brewery near me that has a German brewer and his is really good, unsurprisingly! Unfortunately recipes for partial mash versions don’t appear to be abundant.

Perhaps I’ll do a 10 litre version with Munich, a bit of Pilsner, and a kilo or so of DME…

• Like 5

Flander Red tonight! Keep forgetting about it??? Well three months in the bottle light carbonation plenty of tart. Probably have to get a commercial to compare but really happy with it!

IMG_0152.jpeg

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I’d love to do a Märzen. There’s a brewery near me that has a German brewer and his is really good, unsurprisingly! Unfortunately recipes for partial mash versions don’t appear to be abundant.

Perhaps I’ll do a 10 litre version with Munich, a bit of Pilsner, and a kilo or so of DME…

Yeah, I understand it is a little difficult to do with a kit. Maybe a Munich Hell/Lager kit, which probably already contains a quantity of Munich malt, with a partial mash using Munich and a smidge of CaraMunich II might get you there. Hops between a Hell and a Märzen are similar in terms of IBU and content. They slightly vary from recipe to recipe but in the end, it is almost always Hallertau mf, Hersbruck, Tettnang or Perle. In essence, what is in a Munich Lager kit should be suitable for a Märzen as well. You just want the colour of the Munich malt along with its sweetness and biscuity/bready flavours. All fermented with a good lager yeast. I usually use Nova for a Märzen but Dubbya would be a great choice too. 

If not, a small batch AG would be even better. Then you know what goes in. With a bigger stock pot and grain bag, you may even get closer to 15l out of it for the same amount of work and time. But if you go through the effort to do small batch AG, then don't use DME and do it all as is. My version is 59% Munich I, 33% Pilsner and 8% CaraMunich II. Hops are Hallertau mf as a 60 minute addition for 20 IBU with a little 10 minute addition of Perle. for 2 IBU. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, RDT2 said:

Flander Red tonight! Keep forgetting about it??? Well three months in the bottle light carbonation plenty of tart. Probably have to get a commercial to compare but really happy with it!

IMG_0152.jpeg

Looks awesome RDT2. Had another bottle of mine tonight. They just get better and better. One day i got to hold onto a bottle for 2 or 3 years and see how it tastes. Cant help myself though

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PMB Pillmeister, some crispy fried HM Porky Dumplies and a bit of a blend-cracking dipping Sauce with key input of a festive Mate's Partner's fresh Chilli-Garlic-Fish Snorse beaut spicy dipper 😜

image.png.2d7c86a3c1be081613b58e190aa531b6.png

image.png.adae1a38c38d5ab0f25b5efaacc849dc.png 

PMB AG Wey Pilly is gorgeous - no seaweed, fish-guts, poly-pipe, horse's hooves, filtering or nuttin - just cold-crash and time in keg : )

It did help being away for a while and not constantly lifting the lid of the Keg Freezer 😉

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2024 at 6:19 PM, ben 10 said:

It is very very good actually. And I am enjoying the bottles. I need to walk to the shed to get some and it keeps raining so it doesn't happen too often

what was the amount of Cluster and when were they added - for a standard single AG 20L ish brew?

(apologies if you have already advised - cannot find the inf)

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 7:02 AM, stquinto said:

Cosmopolitan

Have had a few of those recently, very nice bevvie

2 hours ago, Pezzza said:

what was the amount of Cluster and when were they added

35 g boiled

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since I have been on the forum, I thought I would check in. Still brewing non-stop, this is an Aussie Lager 6 weeks in. Just a middy with 4kg pale and 20g POR. Pretty happy with this one and it's also MSMA (megaswill mates approved).

1.thumb.jpg.09cf4947195d2582ebd70f47e80c5a12.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1