Coopers Community

Fails in 2022

DavidM

Was ready to bottle a Coopers Canadian Blond..

Set myself up and started the transfer into the second FV and the bulk prime. Heard my neighbour about to leave, he only visits about once a month, stepped out to say goodbye, He wanted a quick chat...

Meanwhile back in the shed the transfer had finished but sadly it was all on the Floor.

I checked the tap before I started but seems I only did a Man's check.

Six bottles was all I got from that 23L batch !!

Hose the shed out and start again..

20220215_120056.thumb.jpg.0c16ebdec9fcbf5035598cb7f8af98be.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 10

55 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Set myself up and started the transfer into the second FV and the bulk prime. Heard my neighbour about to leave, he only visits about once a month, stepped out to say goodbye, He wanted a quick chat...

Meanwhile back in the shed the transfer had finished but sadly it was all on the Floor.

man happens to us all   , atleast you got a few bottles from it  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Bugger, all that beer gone to waste 😂 I hope the few you saved taste good.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I developed a new bottling technique - wet bottling.
Fortunately I bottle outside under the pergola. If I didn't my fail could have been much worse.
My outdoor table is about 3m long, so I set the bottling process along the table. Empty bottles first. Then the FV and a space to put the filled bottles. Then the carb drops and caps and finally the empty boxes for the finished product to go into.
Well yesterday was a bit windy around my way and while my hands were full on filling a bottle a gust of wind grabbed hold of the empty boxes and sent them flying into the 20 bottles I'd already filled. It only knocked one over but this one bottle created a ten pin effect and knocked a couple more over and then in my haste to catch them I knocked another over. All up lost about 5 bottles but the worst part was the clean up. Beer all over the table, the carb drops, my portable radio, the pavers and so on.
So I evacuated the carb drops, caps and radio and wiped them down and got the garden hose out to wash everything else down. I finished bottling the last 40 bottles in puddles (it was a double batch I made). It was a clumsy way to clean up but it would have taken ages any other way and there would still have been stickiness left behind.
Lesson learnt. Secure light weight objects in future.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Fortunately I bottle outside under the pergola. If I didn't my fail could have been much worse.
My outdoor table is about 3m long, so I set the bottling process along the table. Empty bottles first. Then the FV and a space to put the filled bottles. Then the carb drops and caps and finally the empty boxes for the finished product to go into.
Well yesterday was a bit windy around my way and while my hands were full on filling a bottle a gust of wind grabbed hold of the empty boxes and sent them flying into the 20 bottles I'd already filled. It only knocked one over but this one bottle created a ten pin effect and knocked a couple more over and then in my haste to catch them I knocked another over. All up lost about 5 bottles but the worst part was the clean up. Beer all over the table, the carb drops, my portable radio, the pavers and so on.
So I evacuated the carb drops, caps and radio and wiped them down and got the garden hose out to wash everything else down. I finished bottling the last 40 bottles in puddles (it was a double batch I made). It was a clumsy way to clean up but it would have taken ages any other way and there would still have been stickiness left behind.

Another day in the life & adventures of a home brewer, I suppose you are lucky you didn't lose more bottles. You probably get Gully breezes whereas I get sea breezes, sometimes without warning they can clean off a table, I have a protected area to bottle outside but I also have plenty of room inside, no mishaps yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

At least no glass involved, glass and sticky crap even worse. Although may not have blown over🤷

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Classic Brewing Co Yeah the gully breezes come through here pretty sharply. Usually in the evenings but I unluckily got them yesterday morning.

@RDT2 True. I'm counting my blessings it wasn't glass I had to clean up.

PET bottles are so flimsy especially when you try to line them up for sanitising/bottling etc as soon as you bump one they have all gone over, I hardly use them anymore only for carb tests on a brew, usually 2-4. I have a lot of success with Coops longnecks so I just stick to them & Grolsch/500ml German bottles.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2022 at 11:01 PM, DavidM said:

What bad luck ! Even worse is if the legs of the benches get wet and start to rot 😬

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Nothing worse than sticky floors from spilled beer. And the recriminations from our respective family members.... Mind you, when that happens to me and the kids tramp all over it, they listen to me when I tell them not to walk around in socks all the time (should see the holes in 'em). They really get the message if it was a broken bottle 😆

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a massive brew day on Sunday I just got too tired during the last batch and forgot to un-plug my electrical element from the ink-bird during the boil on gas stage.  Subsequently when I pumped the wort out after the boil it kicked back in when the wort got too low.  Luckily my nose sensed something was different and I went looking for the issue.  Found the top part of the element was cooked black and smoking.  Quickly unplugged it and allowed to cool a tad before cooling further with room temp water so as not to fracture the internal filament.  No harm done (I don't think) as a good scrub with a SS curly girl got rid of the black bits.  Lucky I had not gone outside to do something else at this time.

Burnt element - resized.jpg

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

After a massive brew day on Sunday I just got too tired during the last batch and forgot to un-plug my electrical element from the ink-bird during the boil on gas stage.  Subsequently when I pumped the wort out after the boil it kicked back in when the wort got too low.  Luckily my nose sensed something was different and I went looking for the issue.  Found the top part of the element was cooked black and smoking.  Quickly unplugged it and allowed to cool a tad before cooling further with room temp water so as not to fracture the internal filament.  No harm done (I don't think) as a good scrub with a SS curly girl got rid of the black bits.  Lucky I had not gone outside to do something else at this time.

Burnt element - resized.jpg

I have done exactly the same with mine, the element survived OK although it was a job to clean the crap off it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, DavidM said:

BUGGER!!!

Another reason to bulk prime in the FV. 

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

Geared myself up to do the Kegerator rebuild and upgrade today. Set up and tested one of the 8l PET kegs I bought for taking beer to BBQs, as I needed to use it to push the beer out of the old beer lines and was happy with it. Then I got all the bits ready, the new font tower, the beer line, the extra disconnect, the shank for the tap, the retraction spring, the tap handle and the ta...well, where is the tap. I bought everything, all the bits and pieces but guess what? I forgot the bloody tap! 😡

So it'll go on my Hoppydays order this week. I'll go there to pick things up on Sat anyway and hopefully get to do the Kegerator next Sunday. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4