Coopers Community

Fresh Wort Kits

jackgym

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

For those working with FWK's in a cube, I recommend these.  Tap in a Cap.  Available at Kegland.  I got mine from Tentworld in Ferntree Gully.  So popular, they had them on the front counter.  Other camping places should have them too.  For getting water out of water cubes when camping.

1385566709_TapinaCap.jpg.521461b501fc4c84a424bf601814470a.jpg

No help with the goon bag style of FWK's.  I did one, and was ably assisted by a food grade funnel, but still made a bit of a mess.

i reckon these are great   specially if you do alot of no chill brewing in A.G brewing   

however i think having a decent size  funnel  helps with FWKS  that have the bladders and as well as the cube style

as usually  your pitching yeast  straight away i want agood air rating and i think the tap  you have there will not allow for strong airation
but i would still go this method   with  cubes  as i say it will be much easier  to pour into FV  specially something like a fermzilla or  chubby from keg king etc

great product shamus

• Like 3

Thanks for all the answers. I'm thinking of something that will swing the carton over the fermenter with the bung on a downward angle, then when I rip the bung out it pours straight into the fermenter. On second thoughts... ?   ?

I have a All Inn West Coast IPA FWK that I haven't used yet and might put it down this week.

I am now thinking it will be better as a two person job and will recruit my wife to help. It will also give me someone to blame when it spills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

I have a All Inn West Coast IPA FWK that I haven't used yet and might put it down this week.

I am now thinking it will be better as a two person job and will recruit my wife to help. It will also give me someone to blame when it spills.

I’ve just brewed the West Coast IPA from All Inn, it’s on tap in my Kegerator, nice drop mate.

‘Has a fruity taste to it. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, Hairy said:

I finally got around to using this today. Removed  the bag/bladder from the box, my wife held the bottom of the bag, I held the spout, poured it in with no spillage and with ease.

I won’t be going solo again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I finally got around to using this today. Removed  the bag/bladder from the box, my wife held the bottom of the bag, I held the spout, poured it in with no spillage and with ease.

@Hairy  why the hell did they replace those bladders when the other containers worked well ? Cost I imagine but the weight of those is a lot different to 1.5kg LME.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

There is another trick to go solo with the All Inn FWK's  it may seem silly idea

I found leaving the cap and tipping the wort towards the cap   and the oppisit corner  scrunching  it up with a firm grip    holding it  

cut that corner with a pair of sscissors      then grab  with the cap end and tilt  the cut end into fermenter

thats how i do it

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've just found this FWK at Kegland.

https://www.kegland.com.au/fresh3-lager-fresh-wort-kit.html

Have I got this right @ozdevil @Shamus O'Sean@iBooz2@Pale Man@MitchBastard@Journeyman@Aussiekraut, that the bag of wort they deliver is 15liters volume and we add 8-9 liters of fresh water to it, at least that's what I think the Vid is saying. Making approximately a total of 23 liters of volume in the FV. All for $31.00 is that right? Sounds too good to be true? 

13 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Have I got this right @ozdevil @Shamus O'Sean@iBooz2@Pale Man@MitchBastard@Journeyman@Aussiekraut, that the bag of wort they deliver is 15liters volume and we add 8-9 liters of fresh water to it, at least that's what I think the Vid is saying. Making approximately a total of 23 liters of volume in the FV. All for $31.00 is that right? Sounds too good to be true? 

Mick    you are spot on  just top up with water    to your level  

you might only want to add 6 litres of h2o to the fwk  to fill a keg

more water will dilute  the ABV     but you still will have good beer at 23 litres

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ozdevil said:
44 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Mick    you are spot on  just top up with water    to your level  

you might only want to add 6 litres of h2o to the fwk  to fill a keg

more water will dilute  the ABV     but you still will have good beer at 23 litres

Thank Oz mate, I'd spend that on a K&K TBH. Even with any additions and the yeast. Def, gonna give this a go. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I only used the AllIn FWKs, which are made to 20l, so you just add 5. 

Yes, it really is that simple. Pretty good beer for minimal effort. Easier than a k&k IMHO.

You need the yeast and dry hops if you so desire but yes, easy peasy lemon squeezy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I only used the AllIn FWKs, which are made to 20l, so you just add 5. 

Yes, it really is that simple. Pretty good beer for minimal effort. Easier than a k&k IMHO.

You need the yeast and dry hops if you so desire but yes, easy peasy lemon squeezy 

Thanks for the reply Aussie. At $31.00 and 20 or so liters of liquid goodness it makes me question the whole K&K option.  I note that keg land have these particular base Worts available in both the lager version and as an Ale. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thanks for the reply Aussie. At $31.00 and 20 or so liters of liquid goodness it makes me question the whole K&K option.  I note that keg land have these particular base Worts available in both the lager version and as an Ale. 

Kegland also has a wide range of recipes they have pre-designed for you.  They come with one of the base Fresh3 wort kits plus extra hops or different yeasts, etc.  Just check the fine print of what is included in the pack.  Some of the extra ingredients are included in the price and some are optional at extra cost.  Like the Coopers recipes, these are good for those wanting to try an all grain based brew with some proven extra ingredients.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Mick, yep I reckon they are they go for you to try but my advice is to buy two of the same brews you like straight off the bat so you can do a back-fill / dirty batch straight onto the trub when the first FWK is finished and kegged, particularly if it is a lager.  Too easy maybe take half an hour for the second batch.  Freight is probably the same for multiples and they keep for quite a while if keep out of direct light and cool.  Doing a dirty batch saves on yeast costs too.  Get into yeast harvesting if you are not already and you can keep using some trub over and over which will save you long term and will help pay for more FWK in the future.

I have never bought a FWK as I am my own FWK factory, in fact today I will be buying a couple more 20 L cubes so I have a rotating stock of beers to brew.  

Good luck with it and let us all know what you think of the FWK process and the beers when you taste them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegland also has a wide range of recipes they have pre-designed for you.  They come with one of the base Fresh3 wort kits plus extra hops or different yeasts, etc.  Just check the fine print of what is included in the pack.  Some of the extra ingredients are included in the price and some are optional at extra cost.  Like the Coopers recipes, these are good for those wanting to try an all grain based brew with some proven extra ingredients.

Thanks Shamus @Shamus O'Sean, I've asked about this in another post but if I have an approximate idea of the OG once I've added the fresh water how do i calculate the approx FG? Also with the Fresh 3 FWK's are they hopped at all? Or is the lager Fresh 3 FWK just a particular malt base? Would dry hopping be the only option when adding hops to this kind of wort or cold I use some of the fresh kit to do a boil if required? Sorry to bombard you mate - and sorry if they're really lame questions too.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Mick, yep I reckon they are they go for you to try but my advice is to buy two of the same brews you like straight off the bat so you can do a back-fill / dirty batch straight onto the trub when the first FWK is finished and kegged, particularly if it is a lager.  Too easy maybe take half an hour for the second batch.  Freight is probably the same for multiples and they keep for quite a while if keep out of direct light and cool.  Doing a dirty batch saves on yeast costs too.  Get into yeast harvesting if you are not already and you can keep using some trub over and over which will save you long term and will help pay for more FWK in the future.

I have never bought a FWK as I am my own FWK factory, in fact today I will be buying a couple more 20 L cubes so I have a rotating stock of beers to brew.  

Good luck with it and let us all know what you think of the FWK process and the beers when you taste them.

Thanks Boozer, I'm really wanting to brew All grain but work has been non existent for a couple of years now due to Covid - but I think the tide is turning and I've got some work lined up in late Jan and beyond so finances will pick up and maybe then can contemplate going down the rabbit hole a bit further. This at least for me right now is a way to see how it tastes etc for very little outlay. I will do the dirty batch process too. Been doing the yeast slurry for a while now and it's pretty cool TBH - saves a fortune on yeast packets. You're right I should buy a few at a time cause the shipping probably will be the same. I'll be very keen to see if I notice a stark difference between this kit option and the K&K's I've been doing up until now.

Thanks as always Al, for your help and advice - appreciate it very much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mickep and @Shamus O'Sean (and other community members) I would think that Coopers DIY beer would be circling this concept like a shark.  Another revenue stream from home brewers, not just the lazy ones ha ha.  😁    Be nice to drop a Coopers Sparkling Ale FWK into the fermenter knowing all the hard work was already done and done "properly".  Extra freight may be a drawback.

Wonder if @Coopers DIY Beer Team have any comments on if we will see any Coopers FWK in the on-line store near future-ish?  

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thanks Boozer, I'm really wanting to brew All grain but work has been non existent for a couple of years now due to Covid - but I think the tide is turning and I've got some work lined up in late Jan and beyond so finances will pick up and maybe then can contemplate going down the rabbit hole a bit further. This at least for me right now is a way to see how it tastes etc for very little outlay. I will do the dirty batch process too. Been doing the yeast slurry for a while now and it's pretty cool TBH - saves a fortune on yeast packets. You're right I should buy a few at a time cause the shipping probably will be the same. I'll be very keen to see if I notice a stark difference between this kit option and the K&K's I've been doing up until now.

Thanks as always Al, for your help and advice - appreciate it very much

Sorry to hear about lack of work there Mick, hope this year 2022 exceeds your expectations in that regard.  All the best with that.

When you do get the FWK make sure you do it justice by fermenting it at the right temp profile, you know me low and slow to start with.  You will not win anything by it going gangbusters from the get go like in a "Krausen measuring competition" ha ha. 😁  (Nearly said something else).

Also do it with a yeast you know well so that way you can tell the difference straight away,  If you throw a new yeast at it you will be adding another variable and that will leave you guessing.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thanks Shamus @Shamus O'Sean, I've asked about this in another post but if I have an approximate idea of the OG once I've added the fresh water how do i calculate the approx FG? Also with the Fresh 3 FWK's are they hopped at all? Or is the lager Fresh 3 FWK just a particular malt base? Would dry hopping be the only option when adding hops to this kind of wort or cold I use some of the fresh kit to do a boil if required? Sorry to bombard you mate - and sorry if they're really lame questions too.

I see you have found my post with the link to the Gravity Dilution calculator.

I am pretty sure that the Fresh3 FWK's are bittered with hops based on how the kits are described.  Could be as simple as dilute to your preferred OG, add your yeast, brew, package, drink.

Dry hopping, hop teas, etc would all be options.  You could do a hop boil if you wanted extra bitterness.  You would need to think about how much extra bitterness you were after.  You might need to add a bit of LDM or other fermentables to match the BU:GU ratio of the recipe you were aiming for.  

Although the IBU's of the kits are not given, I looked at one of their specific recipes: Dundee Draught Australian Lager.  It has an IBU of 27 for a 22 litre volume.  I think that IBU's are inversely proportional to the volume change (if you double the volume it halves the IBU's).  So, working backwards, the 15 litre Fresh3 Lager kit would be around 40 IBU's in the cube. 

• Thanks 1

Yes they are all pre-hopped.  Probably to middle of IBU range for that style of beer as a base point.  Only hops you need to add would be any dry hop supplied extra or as Shamus says maybe a hop tea.

I would brew the first couple "as is" (if they do not come packed with dry hop for that recipe/pack) then work toward were you want to go from there, sorta like you did with first couple of extract K & K brews.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I see you have found my post with the link to the Gravity Dilution calculator.

I am pretty sure that the Fresh3 FWK's are bittered with hops based on how the kits are described.  Could be as simple as dilute to your preferred OG, add your yeast, brew, package, drink.

Dry hopping, hop teas, etc would all be options.  You could do a hop boil if you wanted extra bitterness.  You would need to think about how much extra bitterness you were after.  You might need to add a bit of LDM or other fermentables to match the BU:GU ratio of the recipe you were aiming for.  

Although the IBU's of the kits are not given, I looked at one of their specific recipes: Dundee Draught Australian Lager.  It has an IBU of 27 for a 22 litre volume.  I think that IBU's are inversely proportional to the volume change (if you double the volume it halves the IBU's).  So, working backwards, the 15 litre Fresh3 Lager kit would be around 40 IBU's in the cube. 

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean, I did get the link thanks heaps. Okay so the Fresh 3 FWK's are pre hopped to their styles. Gotcha! I'll keep it simple to begin with. And thanks for the really helpful tip re; IBU's and the volume that helps a lot thanks mate....I'm guessing the Lager Fresh3 wort is hopped with POR or some such. Dubbya yeast and it might go alright. I'll give that a go and see after the first one whether it needs tinkering with or not. Thanks Shamus.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I would brew the first couple "as is" (if they do not come packed with dry hop for that recipe/pack) then work toward were you want to go from there, sorta like you did with first couple of extract K & K brews.

I'm hearing you Boozer, that's what I'll be doing. thanks mate.

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Just dropped in a citra fwk from all in, they are $45 I think, so these are real value. 

can’t believe how easy they are to brew. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Mickep and @Shamus O'Sean (and other community members) I would think that Coopers DIY beer would be circling this concept like a shark.  Another revenue stream from home brewers, not just the lazy ones ha ha.  😁    Be nice to drop a Coopers Sparkling Ale FWK into the fermenter knowing all the hard work was already done and done "properly".  Extra freight may be a drawback.

Wonder if @Coopers DIY Beer Team have any comments on if we will see any Coopers FWK in the on-line store near future-ish?  

They used to do just that in the 1970s.

In the late 70s I used to run a home brew shop in Maryborough QLD. At that time the main brew cans were Brigalow, Sundowner and a couple of British imports. There was also one called Unican which paradoxically came in a bag of LDME and a little vial of hop extract!!  One of the managers at Brigalow, Grant Sampson, moved down the road and set up Morgans. Later a number of brands came and went like Gympie Gold, but Coopers hadn't got into canning quite at that stage.

However in 79 we got delivery of Coopers Pale and Coopers Stout wort in 20l cube jerry cans. They were magnificent but the problems were that you had to guess your own yeast - we recommended the excellent British EDME ale yeast - and the freight was an absolute shocker, which killed them. For a while, Coopers got into bag in a box but eventually withdrew them.

With a far better Australian logistics chain nowadays I wouldn't really be surprised to see it happen again. Especially if FWKs continue to eat into their tin sales.

I still remember the cubes fondly, I cut the top off one and used it as a plant pot and grew a choko up a fence!!

AG brewing was only just getting going and the beer from the cubez was glorious, especially the stout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1