Coopers Community

Fresh Wort Kits

jackgym

51 minutes ago, jackgym said:

Yeah, they can be a good option.

I really liked the Citra XPA. The Kissaki, Sabre and Mosaic XPA were also pretty good. I tried a mate's Legbreaker and found that only so-so. Probably my tastes more than anything though.

They had a NEIPA a while back. When I first got into kegging I didn't have a beer ready so I put that one down. It got a good reception from those trying it.

Sometimes the LHBS throws in the yeast. If not, that's something else to consider. All that I have tried call for a dry hop. That's another cost you'll need to factor in if you use them and like to dry hop.

• Like 2

I’ve made a few FWK in the past and can’t complain. Actually, I have one in the FV right now. Couldn’t brew last w/e and got an AllInn Mosaic hopped XPA. Had the Citra hopped Version not long ago and found it quite nice. I cannot speak for all of course but so far I am happy with the AllInn FWKs. It’s a little bit like cheating but if I can’t brew, it’s a good alternative. It costs more than a kits & bits but it’s well worth it imho. 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, Popo said:Sometimes the LHBS throws in the yeast. If not, that's something else to consider. All that I have tried call for a dry hop. That's another cost you'll need to factor in if you use them and like to dry hop.

Yeah you’re right, they aren’t cheap. $45 for the wort, four or five bucks for the hops and another fiver for the yeast. All of a sudden, you’re looking at $55. It’s still worth doing when pressed for time though.

• Like 1

I work on Saturdays in the LHBS and we sell a lot of them.   We sell mostly to guys who like the time savings and want hoppier beer styles.  Most blokes spend about $60 for the FWK, hops for dry hopping and yeast.  They are pretty quick to do.  Just pour into the FV add a few litres of water, yeast and wait.   It is still cheap for them as the styles they make would be close to $60 for a dozen cans at a local craft brewery.  Where I live on the Sunny Coast there are plenty of those around. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I work on Saturdays in the LHBS and we sell a lot of them.   We sell mostly to guys who like the time savings and want hoppier beer styles.  Most blokes spend about $60 for the FWK, hops for dry hopping and yeast.  They are pretty quick to do.  Just pour into the FV add a few litres of water, yeast and wait.   It is still cheap for them as the styles they make would be close to $60 for a dozen cans at a local craft brewery.  Where I live on the Sunny Coast there are plenty of those around. 

Hi Marty, I'm on the Sunny Coast at Caloundra.

If you don't mind me asking, which shop do you work at?

3 minutes ago, jackgym said:

If you don't mind me asking, which shop do you work at?

I am at "The Brew Store Noosa" . Don't know if you been there but it is a great shop. The guy who owns it is a brewer.  Stocks everything you would need at great prices. Over 40 different grains and same with the hops.  Loads of FWKs when they are available. The stock can get a bit low at times though.  Drop in one day and say high. Open 9-1 Saturdays.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I am at "The Brew Store Noosa" . Don't know if you been there but it is a great shop. The guy who owns it is a brewer.  Stocks everything you would need at great prices. Over 40 different grains and same with the hops.  Loads of FWKs when they are available. The stock can get a bit low at times though.  Drop in one day and say high. Open 9-1 Saturdays.   

I'll do that. Thanks for the information. 

Cheers

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, jackgym said:

Does anyone know how to pour these bloody things into the fermenter without spilling any?

Spray it all down with sanitiser so any splashes or drips won't be contaminated. Line it all up. Tip and invert quickly. I get it upside down on top of the fermenter as quickly as I can. I can tilt me fermenter on its base so this step is a little bit easier.

I tried using a syphon a few times but it was more hassle than it was worth.

If it's the bag type ones - I'm not sure. I made a mess the one and only time I did it.

• Like 2

I'm working out to leave it in the box or take the bladder out first.

Both times I left it in the box, 1 success and 1 mess.

Getting enough of the spout to poke through the box was a hassle.

Thinking of something to suspend the box over the fermenter with the spout down then pull out the bung.

4 hours ago, jackgym said:

Does anyone know how to pour these bloody things into the fermenter without spilling any?

Yeah, they can be fun ey? Opened a box once, put the "tap" into the hole like in the good old goon sack days, line up the FV underneath, let it go and it goes right over the FV onto the floor. I think the 15l wort put a tad more pressure on the tap than 4l of goon 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought a West Coast IPA FWK last week.  I just pull the goon bag out, sit it on a table with FV below & open up, it does come out pretty quick but I seemed to manage ok when it was just the goon bag, no box. It’s still in the FV, so keg it later in the week and it will make its way to tap.

I also have a Pacific Ale FWK from my LHBS, but I haven’t put it on yet as all fermenters & fridges are full. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just ask Dr Phil - I have 2 simple solutions;

A) Buy more Fridges/Fermenters

B) Just drink more, don't be a woos 🤣

HTH

Nah have 2 fermenting fridges, one has a double batch 60L fermenter of Neon Haze IPA

Also in the same fridge ( it’s a big fridge ) Hefeweizen 

‘Other fridge has the West Coast IPA.

SWMBO is pretty cool but wouldn’t be happy with another bl##dy  fridge.

Anyway she has allowed me to have money from our savings to make the plunge into AG, it cost me a few dresses, make-up & nails etc, so it’s a fair trade off I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Nah have 2 fermenting fridges, one has a double batch 60L fermenter of Neon Haze IPA

Also in the same fridge ( it’s a big fridge ) Hefeweizen 

‘Other fridge has the West Coast IPA.

SWMBO is pretty cool but wouldn’t be happy with another bl##dy  fridge.

Anyway she has allowed me to have money from our savings to make the plunge into AG, it cost me a few dresses, make-up & nails etc, so it’s a fair trade off I guess. 

From memory I believe it does help to have SWMBO in happy mode or other sacrifices may occur. 😜

• Haha 1

For those working with FWK's in a cube, I recommend these.  Tap in a Cap.  Available at Kegland.  I got mine from Tentworld in Ferntree Gully.  So popular, they had them on the front counter.  Other camping places should have them too.  For getting water out of water cubes when camping.

1385566709_TapinaCap.jpg.521461b501fc4c84a424bf601814470a.jpg

No help with the goon bag style of FWK's.  I did one, and was ably assisted by a food grade funnel, but still made a bit of a mess.

• Like 6