Coopers Community

Fresh Wort Kits

AussieJosh

So i was in the Evil BC yesterday getting my self some US05, While there i had a quick look at some fresh wort kits they had, you know the ones? there 15 liters you just dump them in the fermenter and add 5 liters of water pluss yeast, So when i got home i looked them up on the net, and see a lot of people had good things to say about them!

Has anyone here ever tried one? any thoughts?

Paul have you guys at Coopers ever thought about making fresh wort kits as part of your homebrew line?

Cheers!

Ask away - I was just trying to be funny, hysterical whilst being historical. Now that's punny!

I've fermented many fresh wort kits over the years. Some were quite good, some were duds, many needed a little bit extra something (like dry hopping) all were expensive.

LOL Muddy!

Paul i was asking cause some people on ahb were saying there an ezy way of having AG beer, and can taste better then kit extracts, (im not sure how FWK are made?) Also yeah a lot of them said they need a little extra hops at the end!

A FWK is simply a brew.

I brewed a fresh wort kit last Sunday.

51/2 kg Pale Malt

1/2 kg Crystal Malt,

28g Cascade Plugs 40mins

10g Chinook Pellets 10mins

50g Frothies Brewery Chinook Flowers 2mins

Diluted it to 21litres and started it fermenting with 21g (3 sachets) of Australian Pale Ale yeast on Monday night.

I know people who swear by the esb ones. I've tasted them and they were pretty good but I thought my beer tasted better (I usually do though). They aren't cheap and I think they only for to 19L(?) and as I don't keg I usually go to 23L.

I might try one one day but it is way down my list.

Maybe you should give one a try Josh? That way you could save me some money if it is no good :)

• 6 years later...

Just a quick heads-up for those in Canberra ...

Fantastic news! Zierholz Brewery and Brew Your Own at Home in Kambah have teamed up, so locally made fresh wort kits are now available. The whole Zierholz range will be coming this year, but the first cab off the rank is the delicious Hopmeister, a 1.047 OG, 47 IBU Pale Ale with plenty of NZ aroma hops. I love it on tap at the brewery and am excited to have a cube waiting to be fermented! biggrin

Edit: They are $50 with a pack of US-05 ... and also $50 if you don't want the pack of US-05 rolleyes

Cheers,

John

Good stuff. I have fermented the occasional FWK over the past year when I didn't have time to brew. From memory I did three; a Cascade pale ale, an amber ale and an American Brown Ale. The amber was OK but the other two were pretty good.

They are more expensive than making it yourself but still cheaper than commercial beer.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Amarillo Ale FWK from ESB and brewed it just before Christmas. I tasted it last night bloody fantastic. This is what all grains taste like it's brilliant. The kit came with SAF05 yeast and there's no need to add hops as it's already been added.

One day when I have more room, I would love to progress to AG.

Cheers

My son bought me one of these for my birthday 2 days before Christmas, a Golden Ale. Excellent stuff and the next step up from brew cans IMO. Sadly its all gone now ( i was thirsty) but would buy one at the drop of a hat. Came with no or virtually no instructions and about 15g of mosaic. Probably my best brew so far.

Was about 5 day ferment, 5 days left to clean up. Kegged and gassed for 5 days outside fridge. Fridge for 5 days and lasted about 5 days after first pour. Would have been better if i could have left it alone.

Pretty sure the name "5 day Golden Ale" was appropriate.

I bought an Amarillo Ale FWK from ESB and brewed it just before Christmas. I tasted it last night bloody fantastic. This is what all grains taste like it's brilliant. The kit came with SAF05 yeast and there's no need to add hops as it's already been added.

One day when I have more room' date=' I would love to progress to AG.

Cheers [/quote']

You don't need a lot of space for a Grainfather, Robobrew, Braumeister or even BIAB in an urn.

You just need dollars and time wink

At $45 each I don't think they are that expensive...ofcourse you need yeast and finishing hops aswell.

I am sure AG is much cheaper, But sometimes hard to even do a K&B brew at that cost. (eg ROTM's)

Im fermenting my first FWK now - will bottle this weekend. Looking forward to trying it to see the difference. Was planning to order an Urn straight after Christmas but held off while I try a couple of these FWK's.

Im sure I'll inevitably get the Urn and go AG but wanted to see what these are like as the time saving is very appealing.

While I like playing around with recipes, and enjoying the results - as we all do, I do find that I am regularly time poor on weekends. I know AG requires more time commitment - so just need more planning probably....but I like the idea of these, so quick to do when you don't have time and Keg King have a considerable range.

Payno, I thought the same until my mate bought a FWK, brewed it and gave me a six-pack.

Instructions said late hop heavily, like 200gms worth! He didn't have any on hand and just brewed it as is. As a commercial entity, they know how to minimise costs and maximise profit - save $$ (Or should that be $$$$) on the hops!

I Now know why they said heavily late hop. Because they didn't do it themselves. The beer had bitterness but very little flavour, zero aroma, etc.

So once u factor in a $45 FWK plus $20 on hops, that is getting rather expensive. Or $45 for a beer with no flavour.

I'm very much into my extract brews now and I love being able to control the bitterness, flavour and aroma hop additions. Really enjoying my extract beers. It's a great way to home brew skills with existing equipment. Producing excellent beers is a satisfying bonus. I'll stick to extract over FWK any day

It would only be a big IPA that would require a 200g late hop and an extract version would still require you to buy those hops.

The few that I have bought weren't dry hopped and they were plenty flavoursome.

But you are comparing two different things; extract allows you to create you own recipe and have a bit of fun brewing whilst a FWK allows you to make (usually) good quality beer with minimal effort.

I would never go full-time FWK because I like to brew my own beer. But they are great keg fillers when time constrained at a reasonable price.

One day when I have more room' date=' I would love to progress to AG.

Cheers [/quote']

You don't need a lot of space for a Grainfather, Robobrew, Braumeister or even BIAB in an urn.

You just need dollars and time wink

Unfortunately they are two things that I don't have at the moment. When the kids are grown up I'll have both....lol

I finally found a spare hour this morning to sanitize the fermenter, rehydrate the US-05 and get my Hopmeister FWK up and running with some ice packs in my Cool Brewing bag happy

Re paying extra for late / dry hops ... I am fortunate enough to have a ton of cones developing on my Perle plant at the moment. Looks like it is very happy with its new spot. Whenever the majority of the cones are ready to harvest I will make a wet hop tea with them and add it into the fermenter. It shall be known as the Wethopmeister.

Cheers,

John

Archived