Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

Seriously, the reverse-sear is the way to go! I had a neighbour round for a beer, I had a big old lump of sirloin in the oven set to 44, when it went off he was still gassing away sucking my p*ss so I turned the oven off and and came back to the sear 30 minutes later. Bloody marvelous! Thanks for all of the suggestions! That’s me converted 😀

206C77A7-7CE1-475F-954B-FC8F9E091904.thumb.jpeg.c82975daa00119533f2b18970e2bbf95.jpeg

E1545F3D-E82E-438A-BD7E-4A6F0A9F373E.jpeg

0614F127-A14B-486C-8507-C8D851CBF306.jpeg

6F0A8272-0646-4096-BAB1-90D42CCFFF1C.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Have been having another tough season veggie wise dry Winter with bizarre warm patches and high winds... then more recently cold and wet wet wet together with massive snail population explosion and devastation... had to harvest garlic early due to snails smashing everything... the Iron Chelate benign snail bait works well but does not last through endless rain...  but a few garlics that survived proved to be beauts - check out the size of this single clove - size of a small onion... and very tasty. 

And made a nice Raita : )   Was too big for the garlic crusher so I just fine grated it 🙂

image.thumb.png.8476e68cefb3614343235091e6da11f5.png

image.thumb.png.b1dd463a1c7a9d31aecbd809aa5dd301.png

Thanks @The Captain!! for the feedback re using the single cloves - ta - and congrats on yet another amazing beaut crop mate!

• Like 9

15 hours ago, stquinto said:

Seriously, the reverse-sear is the way to go! 
206C77A7-7CE1-475F-954B-FC8F9E091904.thumb.jpeg.c82975daa00119533f2b18970e2bbf95.jpeg

Well I never thought of reverse searing a steak, looks damn good so I will have to give it a try next time I get a juicy thick steak to chew on.

Also not in my wildest dreams would I have thought of cooking one by stuffing a soldering iron up its arsk ha ha. 🤣

Yeah I know what it is.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, disgruntled said:

Pizza and beers, have just spent the last week doing half days fencing. 

Last pic I saw your fence was just railings so ya better do a few more full days of palings rather than a half days of railings and finish the damn thing off.  Cyclone season has arrived as ya know, hope you did not use quick set cement on those posts.

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Cappy mate apologies if I asked this years ago - but do you grow from seed or from cloves from prior crops held over?

And although I'm somewhat of a garlic growing failure, from what I've read is they recommend planting larger cloves, pointy end facing up. This should give you larger bulbs come harvest time.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Have been having another tough season veggie wise dry Winter with bizarre warm patches and high winds... then more recently cold and wet wet wet together with massive snail population explosion and devastation... had to harvest garlic early due to snails smashing everything... the Iron Chelate benign snail bait works well but does not last through endless rain...  but a few garlics that survived proved to be beauts - check out the size of this single clove - size of a small onion... and very tasty. 

And made a nice Raita : )   Was too big for the garlic crusher so I just fine grated it 🙂

image.thumb.png.8476e68cefb3614343235091e6da11f5.png

image.thumb.png.b1dd463a1c7a9d31aecbd809aa5dd301.png

Thanks @The Captain!! for the feedback re using the single cloves - ta - and congrats on yet another amazing beaut crop mate!

G'day mate,

Did that garlic look like an onion with the layers?

So what happens with Garlic is it will bulg then split into bulbs. if thats the case, your probably about 4-6 weeks from being spot on.

Just so you know 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, MUZZY said:

And although I'm somewhat of a garlic growing failure, from what I've read is they recommend planting larger cloves, pointy end facing up. This should give you larger bulbs come harvest time.

spot on mate. the larger the bulb the better the end product. I save all the largest ones from the crop.

• Like 4

I love the information available on the WWW. Tonight I did these potatoes in the airfryer. I was a little light on with the seasoning but as you can see the texture was exceptional. The tips I used from the net was to par boil the spuds first. Drain and then spray with oil and season in the pot you boiled in. Put the lid on and give the pot a shake to tumble the spuds. It gives them that rough texture. I used Coles canola oil spray. You might get better results with a better oil/fat. Then into the airfryer on 200C. You'll know when they're done.

I deliberately haven't added cooking times used because I reckon depending on what kind of spuds you use your times could vary. The recipe I read said 10 minutes par boil but the spuds I used would've been powdered if I boiled that long.

Even my fussy wife and daughter thought they were good, so I had to share the info.

IMG_20211216_184117.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I love the information available on the WWW. Tonight I did these potatoes in the airfryer. I was a little light on with the seasoning but as you can see the texture was exceptional. The tips I used from the net was to par boil the spuds first. Drain and then spray with oil and season in the pot you boiled in. Put the lid on and give the pot a shake to tumble the spuds. It gives them that rough texture. I used Coles canola oil spray. You might get better results with a better oil/fat. Then into the airfryer on 200C. You'll know when they're done.

I deliberately haven't added cooking times used because I reckon depending on what kind of spuds you use your times could vary. The recipe I read said 10 minutes par boil but the spuds I used would've been powdered if I boiled that long.

Even my fussy wife and daughter thought they were good, so I had to share the info.

Hey Muzzy I totally agree the Air Fryer is a wonderful invention, I use mine a lot as like most it has multiple functions, Pizza, Chips, Potatoes etc turn out nice & crispy. Not to mention all of the other stuff I have cooked in there. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

A quick entre of garlic chili prawns with a knock up salad, moving into home made southern fried chicken & chips later with some white wine for a change, @stquintocan you send over a bottle of 2018 Chateau de la Roulerie Le P'tit Chenin please  🤣

20211215_193811.thumb.jpg.04dcb0a6d8312640093a3dffcec9f6b0.jpg

Consider it done Phil 👍

Looks bloody good mate …. Yum yum

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

You are on the right track there with those spuds @MUZZY ,Muzzy.

Best not to boil them for more than 5 minutes as you have probably already guessed.  They will fall apart when you try and rattle them in the pot.  Once you have boiled them for the 5 minutes, drain and let them air dry for a long time as well as the pot you boiled them in, ideally separately.  It is very important to let them air dry completely, wait until all steam and moisture has completely gone from the spuds.  They can go cold in fact, and hour can pass if need be.

Make sure the pot you boiled them in is very, very dry i.e. no water moisture at all.
Place the spuds back into the pot, season with pepper and lots and lots of salt. (Some finely chopped Rosemary is optional)
Put the lid back on the pot and rattle them around in the pot to knobble them a little bit as you did, then spray then with peanut oil or whatever oil you can get in a spray can then add a tablespoon of semolina flour and rattle them around in the pot again to coat in oil and semolina flour.  They will now have a very knobbly outside edges and will also be coated in semolina grains.  The semolina grains will make them even more crispy and crunchy.  You know where I am heading here – yum.

Place them in your air fryer as you did before and air-fry at 200 C until crisp and cooked to your desire.
You will be so glad you have discovered these extra couple of steps and your family will go ape over them.
TIP: When seasoning I have also added a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh Rosemary with the salt/pepper and they turned out very more-ish when cooked and then dunked in sour cream and sweet chili sauce.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

You are on the right track there with those spuds @MUZZY ,Muzzy.

Best not to boil them for more than 5 minutes as you have probably already guessed.  They will fall apart when you try and rattle them in the pot.  Once you have boiled them for the 5 minutes, drain and let them air dry for a long time as well as the pot you boiled them in, ideally separately.  It is very important to let them air dry completely, wait until all steam and moisture has completely gone from the spuds.  They can go cold in fact, and hour can pass if need be.

Make sure the pot you boiled them in is very, very dry i.e. no water moisture at all.
Place the spuds back into the pot, season with pepper and lots and lots of salt. (Some finely chopped Rosemary is optional)
Put the lid back on the pot and rattle them around in the pot to nobble them as you did, then spray then with peanut oil or whatever oil you can get in a spray can then add a tablespoon of semolina flour and rattle them around in the pot again to coat in oil and semolina flour.  They will now have a very knobbly outside edges and will also be coated in semolina grains.  The semolina grains will make them even more crispy and crunchy.  You know where I am heading here – yum.

Place them in your air fryer as you did before and air-fry at 200 C until crisp and cooked to your desire.
You will be so glad you have discovered these extra couple of steps and your family will go ape over them.
TIP: When seasoning I have also added a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh Rosemary with the salt/pepper and they turned out very more-ish when cooked and then dunked in sour cream and sweet chili sauce.

Coopers forum needs a "yum" emoji, Boozer. Dunno if I'd go the semolina path because I'm a lazy f*c# but I recently planted a Rosemary bush which I only clip for lamb roasts. I now have another use for it. Onya mate. 🙂

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG_20211216_184117.jpg

They look bloody good mate! I’m old school though: small chip pan that hold two wine bottles of oil that I filter back in so no additions. I do a similar thing with roast spuds - after par boiling them I shake them in the pan with Colman’s mustard powder. Come out great 👍 

• Like 2