Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

There's a bit of a clique group at a few restaurants in Melbourne who are doing the reverse sear thing for some of the various cuts of steak they serve. They place the room temp cut of meat in an oven at about 90 degrees and wait for the meat to be warmed through to the likeness of the customers request and then seared for a minute on each side....haven't tried this method yet.

The sear after the smoking of some cuts of meat is really tasty I have to say.

I’ll try that next time mate. The slow cook works a treat: I’ll sear after to see if it makes a difference. The steak needs to be a decent thickness for it to work but why not sear after. If you cook at 80 degrees it doesn’t need to rest either. Will get posting soon 😉

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 10:54 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was kinda thinking it may have been a cork where you are, good idea, take it back, get another 🍷

Good things happen to he who is patient Phil, special offer in the local supermarket...

(about 38 AU$)

shiraz.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stquinto said:
11 hours ago, Mickep said:

There's a bit of a clique group at a few restaurants in Melbourne who are doing the reverse sear thing for some of the various cuts of steak they serve. They place the room temp cut of meat in an oven at about 90 degrees and wait for the meat to be warmed through to the likeness of the customers request and then seared for a minute on each side....haven't tried this method yet.

The sear after the smoking of some cuts of meat is really tasty I have to say.

I’ll try that next time mate. The slow cook works a treat: I’ll sear after to see if it makes a difference. The steak needs to be a decent thickness for it to work but why not sear after. If you cook at 80 degrees it doesn’t need to rest either. Will get posting soon 😉

Sainter, the ones I've seen done here are really thick steaks. And yep no rest required - bonus. Looking forward to your pics of the finished work mate

• Like 1

Local Village Butcher TBone cut to order - one and three quarter inch thick - Dave said he even got the tape measure out ; )

Cryovacced cold stored for a few weeks - dressed up with EVOO Cab Sauv and fresh picked Rosemary n fresh grind Black Pepper.

Then oven slow bake prior to reverse sear - beautiful flavour and gentle texture 🥳

Will try a grill sear rather than the plate next time for the LOLs : )

Recommend with glass or two of Barossa Shiraz off Ebenezer Terroir e.g. see below link

https://schulzwines.com.au/buy-wines/

image.thumb.png.c61296419afdc8dfc2efc9c50adfc0e7.png

image.thumb.png.5264cbb7e536ac8d033388b744bd6f9c.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Local Village Butcher TBone cut to order - one and three quarter inch thick - Dave said he even got the tape measure out ; )

Cryovacced cold stored for a few weeks - dressed up with EVOO Cab Sauv and fresh picked Rosemary n fresh grind Black Pepper.

Then oven slow bake prior to reverse sear - beautiful flavour and gentle texture 🥳

Will try a grill sear rather than the plate next time for the LOLs : )

Recommend with glass or two of Barossa Shiraz off Ebenezer Terroir e.g. see below link

Looks Bloody awesome mate, what temp did you do the bake at and for how long? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Looks Bloody awesome mate, what temp did you do the bake at and for how long? 

Temp was 125 ish... and time of bake - too long 😆 

I was on the juice and had some distractions and forgot about it - I think the guns cook till certain temperature is reached - next time I will probs do the bake for 25-30 mins and then sear... sorry cannot be of better help @Mickep and be happy to be advised re the baking temp and time meself.

This is off Serious Eats who have some good recipes...  https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak

Temperature and Timing for Reverse-Seared Steak

For 1 1/2–Inch Steaks in a 250°F (120°C) Oven

Doneness Target Temperature in the Oven Final Target Temperature Approximate Time in Oven Rare 105°F (40°C) 120°F (49°C) 20 to 25 minutes Medium-Rare 115°F (46°C) 130°F (54°C) 25 to 30 minutes Medium 125°F (52°C) 140°F (60°C) 30 to 35 minutes Medium-Well 135°F (57°C) 150°F (66°C) 35 to 40 minutes

The fact is tho - it was absolutely beautiful tasting and texture even tho I did overdo the bake-first-step...

It does help to pay attention 🙂

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

The fact is tho - it was absolutely beautiful tasting and texture even tho I did overdo the bake-first-step...

It does help to pay attention 🙂

It sure looked like a nice steak man, I just prefer a sear on both sides & cook it medium, turning once, rest & eat but we are all different.

I am having Pork Sirloin Steaks tonight with Hasselback Potatoes & Greens & a bottle of Annie's Lane Shiraz .

Obviously I cannot cook them medium but I will do them in a skillet with garlic, rosemary, cracked pepper & sea salt.

20211201_153021.thumb.jpg.34e54a4c6b7f89845518881e05b5ebbf.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Local Village Butcher TBone cut to order - one and three quarter inch thick - Dave said he even got the tape measure out ;

Holy Cow IP, that looks amazing 😉

You fellas have deffo got me onto trying the reverse sear, thanks for the link, will check it out next time I do a decent-sized steak. Come to think of it, I have a big ole rib steak in the freezer, will get that one out soon.

Not this weekend though: it's my searh-and-destroy weekend in Berlin. I'm sh!tting myself that they don't reintroduce lockdown like the Austrians. One more sleep...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Great looking Lamb Squinto, when I come around I want mine slaughtered first !! 🤣

Funny that Pihl, I was just thinking I had overcooked it a bit 😂

The kids actually preferred the lamb a bit pink. Wonderful cut the rack, but a bit pricey.

• Like 1