Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thai influenced pipi's / cockles cooked with heaps of hot chillies, a beautiful garlic, ginger, brown sugar, lime, sauce drizzled throughout. 

Pipi's.jpg

They look outstanding mate 👍 

We get "vongole verace" her, they're farmed in Italy. Beautiful they are too. When doing the pasta it's best to cook them in a pan apart and as soon as they open, pick them out with some plastic tongs. Occasionally you might get one full of dark sand and if it opens it can ruin the rest of the pot. The water that's released when you cook them is what gives the pasta a bit of flavour. I use this dish to judge an Italian restaurant - it's an easy enough dish but even easier to mess up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

we have proved many times if they are partly open & you can pry them open without force they are fine, however if the are tightly shut, chuck 'em

Coming back to the idea of cooking them seperate, I've found that although many of them open at the same time, others will take longer to open but if you keep them in the pan they will eventually. They can be so pricey here that I wait for each and every one of the little b*ggers to open 😅

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Coming back to the idea of cooking them seperate, I've found that although many of them open at the same time, others will take longer to open but if you keep them in the pan they will eventually. They can be so pricey here that I wait for each and every one of the little b*ggers to open 😅

Yeah that's a good old trick, it's easy to chuck them in the dish when you are satisfied they are all good to go, instead of digging around in the wok 😬 looking for the good ones.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah that's a good old trick, it's easy to chuck them in the dish when you are satisfied they are all good to go, instead of digging around in the wok 😬 looking for the good ones.

Believe me Phil, once you've ruined one dinner you think twice ....  speaking from bitter experience 😭

Gritty pasta ain't what it's cracked up to be

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Believe me Phil, once you've ruined one dinner you think twice ....  speaking from bitter experience 😭

Gritty pasta ain't what it's cracked up to be

Yep there is an old story, if you are going to do it, do it right - or not at all. I have seen many failed meals by some who think near enough is good enough, if you don't cook it right, it won't taste right, this is mainly evident in things like pasta, rice etc. 

It is satisfying & rewarding if the meal you have just served up is presented at it's optimum especially tenderness, temperature & it is acknowledged by the guests. 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is satisfying & rewarding if the meal you have just served up is presented at it's optimum especially tenderness, temperature & it is acknowledged by the guests. 

You know mate, not blowing my own trumpet, but I never get a steak in a restaurant: I know I'll be disappointed. I much prefer my own, including the (triple-cooked) chips. That was I can get decent meat, cook it accurately, and more to the point, get a decent bottle of red, and not have to worry about driving home - just getting upstairs 😉

Over the past year with the 'flu I've reappraised a whole lot of stuff... Even on holiday I'm quite happy to go and have the daily special at lunch time but most evenings I'd rather have the option to chuck something on the barbie than have to have every meal out 

26 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I never get a steak in a restaurant

Mate I am with you on every point, I NEVER order a steak in a pub or a restaurant as I know it wouldn't be cooked to my satisfaction.

As you would know a nice lean steak has to be treated with respect, bring the meat to room temperature, heat the grill/BBQ, season & oil the steak - not the grill & sear at a high heat both sides & then turn once only on both sides until medium, then rest it for 70% of the time you cooked it & bingo, a perfect steak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

The hunting season is upon us…

Bambi’s mum, with the trimmings they serve in Central Europe. Often similar trimmings to what is served in Germany around Christmas with roast goose. @Itinerant Peasant @Aussiekraut will confirm…

My mate/neighbour is currently on a Deer cull through a program organised by the Licensed Shooter's Association & the Government, he expects to be bringing home some venison & wants me to cook it - I say no problem 😋 🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Yum.  Venison pie is my favorite.  They need culling too.  They are pretty thick on the ground in eastern Victoria.  I am kind of surprised they are an issue in South Australia too. 

A bit of info.

“Feral deer are a huge problem, particularly in the Upper SE and cause major damage to fences, native vegetation, wildlife habitat and agricultural crops and pastures,” “They are also potential carriers of exotic livestock diseases and are a danger to motor vehicles on public roads.”

https://www.stockjournal.com.au/story/4594997/spotlight-shines-on-feral-deer/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

My mate/neighbour is currently on a Deer cull through a program organised by the Licensed Shooter's Association & the Government, he expects to be bringing home some venison & wants me to cook it - I say no problem 😋 🍷

I have a mate that I used to hunt deer with (walking and stalking) but he moved to the country so don't get away all that much nowadays.  He went on a similar cull program here in the Vic high country and kept me in good supply of venison so there was no need to bust my guts carrying meat out of the mountains.

Favorite way to cook it was venison shaslicks.  Once the meat was hung and set for few days in a cool room then cube some up and put it in a 5 L food grade pail and drown the lot in tawny port.  Fit pail lid and leave it in the fridge for a few days to marinate, then make up your shaslicks discarding the port marinate.

As the venison cooks on the grill it contracts and the port oozes out and caramelizes the meat.  Very yummy with red onion capsicum and the like as the port also dribbles over those when rotated on the grill.   Give it a go.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have a mate that I used to hunt deer with (walking and stalking) but he moved to the country so don't get away all that much nowadays.  He went on a similar cull program here in the Vic high country and kept me in good supply of venison so there was no need to bust my guts carrying meat out of the mountains.

Favorite way to cook it was venison shaslicks.  Once the meat was hung and set for few days in a cool room then cube some up and put it in a 5 L food grade pail and drown the lot in tawny port.  Fit pail lid and leave it in the fridge for a few days to marinate, then make up your shaslicks discarding the port marinate.

As the venison cooks on the grill it contracts and the port oozes out and caramelizes the meat.  Very yummy with red onion capsicum and the like as the port also dribbles over those when rotated on the grill.   Give it a go.

Hey Al, top ideas, I have cooked a lot of venison over the years as my cousin lives in a place called Two Wells (Adelaide Plains) & not far from there is dense forest where deer are abundant, when we were younger I remember the days when we had them hanging after a shoot, after brining they would be marinated in either red wine or port, it also tenderises them & helps with caramelisation.

I particularly like the back strap but skewers are also great especially with forestry type veg, mushroom & of course onion etc.

Cheers, I hope I get enough to post a few photos.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Well bought myself a Weber the other day for 50bucks cleaned it up and it’s like brand new. Had a go at smoking some beef ribs from the supermarket and they turned out really nice even had the smoke ring as pictured. They were nice and juicy and didn’t burn myself or the house down 🙏. Will try pork ribs next and a brisket eventually. I think I’ve found another rabbit hole to go down🤦

7A14D5EF-C594-4890-8EDE-F66D8112275F.jpeg

185DEC73-47EF-4D03-8FB2-C1FD9B7C3B0E.jpeg

DFCF59C5-637F-412C-8C6A-177431095F59.jpeg

• Like 5

On 10/8/2021 at 6:10 AM, stquinto said:

Bambi’s mum, with the trimmings they serve in Central Europe. Often similar trimmings to what is served in Germany around Christmas with roast goose.

oooooooooooooh Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 10:35 PM, RDT2 said:

turned out really nice

Beautiful beautiful RD very yummy mate great stuff and re-using/upcycling an old weber that is gold.

Mate is that handle-bucket-w-holes-in-bottom a fire-starting-gadget for getting the charcoal beads going or?

image.thumb.png.9edd54d11ba42e9dd0c5e7bceee2deb9.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Beautiful beautiful RD very yummy mate great stuff and re-using/upcycling an old weber that is gold.

Mate is that handle-bucket-w-holes-in-bottom a fire-starting-gadget for getting the charcoal beads going or?

It's probably similar to this IP - I have one & they save lot's of time.

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/grill-skills/mastering-smoke/using-a-chimney-starter-1/weber-1984405.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Italian call them Vongole & done with Pasta/Garlic Bread & Sav blanc they are awesome, surprisingly cheap for a great meal.

@Mickep @Classic Brewing Co not trying to talk big but was in Rome once and went to a festive Roman restaurant and they had Spaghetti Vongole on the menu.

They were very kind to translate this for us foreigners... into English and it read:

Spaghetti with clamps

🥳

• Haha 1