Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate it is a bargain, tonight is Pie night, apart from what I already know there are a million recipes on the net so I will make several types, can't wait.

Oh yeah! Luv a pie. So many things can go into them - got a mate who makes pies from his leftovers they're always awesome. Luv a curry pie too. If you get time flash up a couple of pics of what you've created so we can all have a drool. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Oh yeah! Luv a pie. So many things can go into them - got a mate who makes pies from his leftovers they're always awesome. Luv a curry pie too. If you get time flash up a couple of pics of what you've created so we can all have a drool. 

Can do, I am going for a few savoury ones & last apple pies. Leftovers are great for pies, Curries, Casseroles etc work too.

Cheers.

• Like 2

OK PIE NIGHT

Just a couple of quick pics, it was full on so sorry about the quality of some of them, it gets a bit messy when your drunken mate Tommy Lee Jones turns up 🤣  There was Beef Pies, Curried Chicken Pies & Apple Pies - you should work them out.

I have a heap left & so does he. Cheers.

PIE 1.jpg

PIE 2.jpg

PIE 3.jpg

PIE 4jpg.jpg

PIE 5.jpg

PIE 6jpg.jpg

PIE 7.jpg

PIE 8.jpg

PIE 9jpg.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK PIE NIGHT

Just a couple of quick pics, it was full on so sorry about the quality of some of them, it gets a bit messy when your drunken mate Tommy Lee Jones turns up 🤣  There was Beef Pies, Curried Chicken Pies & Apple Pies - you should work them out.

PIE 1.jpg

PIE 2.jpg

PIE 3.jpg

PIE 4jpg.jpg

PIE 5.jpg

PIE 6jpg.jpg

PIE 7.jpg

PIE 8.jpg

PIE 9jpg.jpg

Looks absolutely beeeeeeeautiful @Classic Brewing Co. Magnificent stuff mate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Looks absolutely beeeeeeeautiful @Classic Brewing Co. Magnificent stuff mate. 

Cheers @Mickep there was a little bit of adjusting to get the best result but overall I was impressed with it's simplicity.

It makes good Pies so John, may mate pictured, has one as well so we plan on out doing each other with pie supremeness. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers @Mickep there was a little bit of adjusting to get the best result but overall I was impressed with it's simplicity.

It makes good Pies so John, may mate pictured, has one as well so we plan on out doing each other with pie supremeness. 🤣

I think that's the really appealing part at least for me is it looks simple enough and looks as though it'd be easy to clean. I'm going to get one of these pronto. Thanks for sharing mate.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK PIE NIGHT

PIE 1.jpg

PIE 2.jpg

PIE 3.jpg

PIE 4jpg.jpg

PIE 5.jpg

PIE 6jpg.jpg

PIE 7.jpg

PIE 8.jpg

PIE 9jpg.jpg

They remind of the days  me and my next door neighbour when i lived in Pooraka we would head over to globe derby   to see the Pieman   , His pies was great tasting   

yours look as equally as good mate

you should head to the Morphettvale race and sell some Pies to the race goers on race day to make a few bob for brew gear

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2021 at 4:49 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, I like pies & I am sure others do & of course we have all made them , every way you can savoury/quiche/sweet etc but tomorrow is Pie Day. The best way is to use Shortcut pastry for the base & Puff pastry for the top, apart from cutting out the pie shapes & preparing the fillings, this bad boy takes all of the stress out of it, you have to brush an egg wash over them before baking but Mama what a result. 

I have never seen one of these gizmos before. So basically it bakes in there, instead of in the oven?

Do you make your own shortcrust pastry and buy the puff pastry? 

Cheers,

Christina.

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

@Hoppy81 mate, how many people did you have over? - enough to feed a small army.

The Brisket looks sensational mate. What temp have you been cooking the briskets at mate if you don't mind me asking.

Everything on the BBQ looks incredible - Magnificent stuff Hoppy!

I usually just cook for my family on the weber but every now and then i fire the big offset up and tell everyone else to bring some meat
Around and cook it for them to as it's a huge smoker.

I wrap the brisket at around 75°c roughly when the stall hits and cook through until about 98°c (when probing like hot butter) then let rest for a couple of hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I have never seen one of these gizmos before. So basically it bakes in there, instead of in the oven?

Do you make your own shortcrust pastry and buy the puff pastry? 

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina, it does bake them in there as you pre-heat it, you can make your own pastry but I bought frozen sheets from the Supermarket. Short Crust for the bottom base & Puff for the top.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/pie-maker/912041

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I usually just cook for my family on the weber but every now and then i fire the big offset up and tell everyone else to bring some meat
Around and cook it for them to as it's a huge smoker.

I wrap the brisket at around 75°c roughly when the stall hits and cook through until about 98°c (when probing like hot butter) then let rest for a couple of hours.

Awesome mate thanks heaps.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Pie Maker.jpg

I have had one of these since they first came out way back 30 -40 years ago (sunbeam model) and it is still going strong.

Only thing I have found with them is they do not do the flake puff pastry any favours and compress it so its sort of like the base over the top unlike if you did the same in a proper oven where the puff pastry stays nice and flakey.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have had one of these since they first came out way back 30 -40 years ago (sunbeam model) and it is still going strong.

Only thing I have found with them is they do not do the flake puff pastry any favours and compress it so its sort of like the base over the top unlike if you did the same in a proper oven where the puff pastry stays nice and flakey.

Edited 22 minutes ago by iBooz2

I know exactly what you mean, they are limited to something resembling a pie, almost like the old Toastie Toastie thingo's we used to put in the wood fire & make Baked Bean & other fillings with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Last weeks cook-up, all turned out great using ironbark.

OH WOW...
so many foods I like and so hard to fit them all in.

I forget how good the smoker stuff in (American BBQ) until I see it or eat it.
So good, yet so bad!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

I think that's the really appealing part at least for me is it looks simple enough and looks as though it'd be easy to clean. I'm going to get one of these pronto. Thanks for sharing mate.

They are extremely easy to clean, if you follow the instructions supplied it will tell you to wipe it out with a chux, dry it & then go through the first heating process to burn off any dust accumulated in the manufacturing process & then lightly coat the non stick plates with cooking oil before each use. Between each batch just wipe it out with a damp cloth after each use.

Cheers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I know exactly what you mean, they are limited to something resembling a pie, almost like the old Toastie Toastie thingo's we used to put in the wood fire & make Baked Bean & other fillings with.

Agree with @Classic Brewing Co, just buy the two or three different types of pastry's required @ChristinaS1 and keep them in your freezer.  Peel off a few sheets of each for a bake day and let them thaw which makes for a quick easy pie day.  I have tried making and baking many different pies over the years in my old pie maker appliance.  Have frozen home-made pies too for a month or so and they are great for when you get the munchies and cannot be bothered cooking.

You can do sweet pies as well as the normal savoury ones as I am sure you know; just have to get the sweet pastry for these.  A favourite sweet pie is plain apple and also apple and rhubarb pies which are nice served with custard and ice cream.

My savoury pie favourites are slow cooked beef and red onion.  Slow cooked beef and mushroom.  Did try some slow cooked lamb with mashed potato and peas but found them just a little on the fatty “tasting” side for my liking. 

Others pies I have made are Yabby and yellow belly with Mornay sauce.  Bacon and egg (of course).  Wild duck with red wine sauce.  Left over spaghetti Bolognese makes a great pie too.   Field mushrooms with smoky bacon and tomatoes.  Pulled pork with cooked apple sauce.   Left over roast BBQ pork with some wholegrain mustard, a touch of garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar and then drizzled with genuine Canadian Maple syrup.  It sounds revolting but boy was that pie recipe one out of the box.

Curried sea scallop pies, although each time I tried these they were a bit of a fail, just cannot seem to get the sauce mix right but the curried chicken pies are always a winner, which I normally do with left over BBQ chicken so go figure as its nearly the same sauce mix.

You could just about throw any filling in your pies and they will go down a treat.

PS: And Phil I was a bit disappointed to not see a rabbit pie in your mix of test run pies....

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

Hi Christina, the version I have does 4 x pies, each 100 mm diameter and 25 - 30 mm deep.  Suspect that would be a pretty standard Aussie pie maker size.  Hope that helps.  Yes the wattage available would limit the pie size and cooking capacity  Maybe there is a 110 v pie maker out there somewhere that just does 2 pies.

• Like 1