Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

As you know I have been salivating over the pictures of the little meat pies some of you have been posting. After sulking about the fact that the 4" meat pie makers available in Australia are not available in Canada (due to our 120v electrical system) I decided I should make a full size meat pie in the oven.

Turns out I cannot post a link to the recipe because a word in the title flags the Coopers censoring robot to block it.  Anyway, if you are curious about the recipe it is for "male chicken" and leek pie in the January 20, 2015 issue of Bon Appetit.

I made a few changes (swapped the prunes out for dried cranberries, dded 150g of mushrooms). I used homemade oil crust for the bottom and store bought puff pastry for the top (as per the K-Mart pie maker instructions). I also followed @iBooz2 suggestion to freeze the bottom for a while and then paint it with egg white before filling, to keep it from going soggy, and that worked a treat!

Sorry, no picture this time as the pie was not pretty....I left the puff pastry out at room temperature too long and it tore. Tasty though. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 5

On 9/19/2021 at 4:30 AM, stquinto said:

And this is the red in case Phil was worried … I took a trip over the border to France ( about 30 minutes away), I can even claim the tax back off the wine (almost 20%) so I treated myself , or more likely, SWMBO…

3880E0BB-66E3-4A86-A5CB-C5244E200EA9.jpeg

Are you in Geneva Sainter? I flew into “G-Town” once and was surprised how close it was to the border of La France. Went down to Aix les Bains for a bit of a cycling odyssey. Lovely spot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Are you in Geneva Sainter? I flew into “G-Town” once and was surprised how close it was to the border of La France. Went down to Aix les Bains for a bit of a cycling odyssey. Lovely spot. 

@Tone boy mate there’s too many Calvinists in Geneva, I doubt they’d approve of my brewing… I’m half an hour away, towards Lausanne, on the lake. Well, not literally, that’s a bit beyond the budget 🤣

Aix is a beautiful town, been there a cuppla times. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Thanks Christina, couscous is dead easy to make 😄

Normally I’d have a steak with that cow-wine pourer, hope the lamb didn’t take offense 🤣

@stquinto I would imagine you own or a least have heard of a Couscoussier, I actually don't own one but use a steamer with good results, others prefer to use the simple absorption method as directed on the packet. I eat it a lot & enjoy it any many different ways, it is so versatile.

A couscoussier is a traditional double-chambered food steamer used in Berber cuisine (particularly, the cuisines of Libya, Tunisia, Algeria & Morocco  to cook couscous. It is typically made of two interlocking pots, made of either the traditional ceramic or metal steel, aluminium, or copper. The first, which is the larger one, holds water or soup used to produce steam. The second, the smaller pot, is designed to be placed on top of the first and has a lid and a perforated floor, so that it holds the couscous in place while allowing the steam to enter and seep through the grains. Once the couscous is steam-cooked, the lower pot may be used to simmer and complete its cooking, in order to serve the prepared dish.

See the source image

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would imagine you own or a least have heard of a Couscoussier,

@Classic Brewing Co yes Phil, I have one of those. I half fill the bottom bit with veg or chicken stock, seal the top with tin foil, and push the steamer bit on it, making sure no steam escapes from the side. Then I put the couscous in a bowl and damp it with a samll amount of water. Afterwards into the steamer part and steam it for 30 minutes.

Afterwards you put it in a baking tray and rub it between your hands (with a bit of oilive oil) to get the clumps out. Then do another 30 minute steam. and declump it again.

For the final round of 30 minutes I put the chopped veg in the bottom, and steam the semoule over that.

Some people put chicken or lamb in with the veggies, it's more traditional but I prefer the meat cooked seperately. I had a (genuine) Algerian couscous once, the whole lot stank of wet wooly jumpers, because they had put chunks of mutton in with it. Absolutely inedible, even if it was authentic.

I know it's all the rage now to talk about "culturally appropriating" ethnic grub and all that: obviously I have no truck with such complete and utter sh*te, but I'd rather have my version than the smelly old sheep version 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, stquinto said:

@Classic Brewing Co yes Phil, I have one of those. I half fill the bottom bit with veg or chicken stock, seal the top with tin foil, and push the steamer bit on it, making sure no steam escapes from the side. Then I put the couscous in a bowl and damp it with a samll amount of water. Afterwards into the steamer part and steam it for 30 minutes.

Afterwards you put it in a baking tray and rub it between your hands (with a bit of oilive oil) to get the clumps out. Then do another 30 minute steam. and declump it again.

For the final round of 30 minutes I put the chopped veg in the bottom, and steam the semoule over that.

Some people put chicken or lamb in with the veggies, it's more traditional but I prefer the meat cooked seperately. I had a (genuine) Algerian couscous once, the whole lot stank of wet wooly jumpers, because they had put chunks of mutton in with it. Absolutely inedible, even if it was authentic.

I know it's all the rage now to talk about "culturally appropriating" ethnic grub and all that: obviously I have no truck with such complete and utter sh*te, but I'd rather have my version than the smelly old sheep version 😉

I agree Mate, tweaking a recipe to your own taste is the best way, some of the horrid stuff some of the regions eat makes you want to 🤮. I hate fat with a passion & I will not eat any working parts ( offal ) or pigs blood & crap like that, just nice lean meat, fish, seafood, pasta, veg, salads & more. But we are all different so whatever people want to eat is fine by me. 🧑‍🍳

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 1:37 PM, Pale Man said:

Medium steak on Weber Q and roast veg. Lurvely.

20210930_191611.jpg

@Tone boy that looks amazing mate. Healthier than my steaks with chips 😅

I also like the plate to have a bit of colour on it too - more appetising looking (and apparently healthier to boot).

👍