Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

5 minutes ago, stquinto said:

No mate, a real cork. The supermarket here is quite decent: I’ll go back, buy another bottle so I can keep the receipt, wait a couple of days and take it back.  They change it straight off, no names, no pack drill. I only do that when it’s bad and not cheap, don’t want to take the p*ss and be dishonest about it

I was kinda thinking it may have been a cork where you are, good idea, take it back, get another 🍷

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Friday night is steak night!

Mate it is lovely but you need to cook it 🤣 a skilled surgeon could bring that back to life !!

I am OK with people who like Blue/Rare/Medium Rare but I am definitely a Medium man, when the internal temperature is almost 65c.

However you are welcome to eat it how you want.  Nice wine too, Cheers.

bon appétit

Meat Temperatures
Steak/Beef  
Rare 120 F - 125 F (48.9 C to 51.6 C)
Medium-rare 130 F - 135 F (54.4 C to 57.2 C)
Medium 140 F - 145 F (60 C to 62.8 C)
Medium-well 150 F - 155 F (65.5 C to 68.3 C)
Well done 160 F (71.1 C) and above
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate it is lovely but you need to cook it 🤣 a skilled surgeon could bring that back to life !!

I am OK with people who like Blue/Rare/Medium Rare but I am definitely a Medium man, when the internal temperature is almost 65c.

However you are welcome to eat it how you want.  Nice wine too, Cheers.

bon appétit

Meat Temperatures
Steak/Beef  
Rare 120 F - 125 F (48.9 C to 51.6 C)
Medium-rare 130 F - 135 F (54.4 C to 57.2 C)
Medium 140 F - 145 F (60 C to 62.8 C)
Medium-well 150 F - 155 F (65.5 C to 68.3 C)
Well done 160 F (71.1 C) and above

Ha ha! I set the probe in the oven to 53 C. If I have time, I sear it on a cast iron griddle, then into an oven at 80 C. That sirloin was nearly 600g and it was cooking for almost 2 hours to get to 47 C. I had to bump it up to 120 C or else we’d have been eating at midnight ( SWMBO would have polished off the vino, and I ‘d have had a dozen HBs 🤣…)

For my steaks a clever vet could resuscitate it…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Ha ha! I set the probe in the oven to 53 C. If I have time, I sear it on a cast iron griddle, then into an oven at 80 C. That sirloin was nearly 600g and it was cooking for almost 2 hours to get to 47 C. I had to bump it up to 120 C or else we’d have been eating at midnight ( SWMBO would have polished off the vino, and I ‘d have had a dozen HBs 🤣…)

For my steaks a clever vet could resuscitate it…

When they are seared & placed in the oven to slow cook, with the right meat they can be as tender as. I prefer to sear both sides, cook for a few minutes & turn once, then rested on a rack/foil etc. Overcooked steak is horrible, hardly worth wasting a bottle of wine with !!

• Haha 1

Roast Lamb tonight, this is my version of scoring the fat cap & salting as you would with Pork, the addition of Garlic, Chilli, Rosemary, Pepper & Ex Virgin Olive Oil helps to create what I call " Lamb Crackling " & yes @stquinto a decent red  & Oh' & of course some Duck Fat Roast Potatoes & asst veg with a Red Wine Jus. 

LAMB.thumb.jpg.d3568efb72a87e6a0b7d074c2231a190.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Roast Lamb tonight, this is my version of scoring the fat cap & salting as you would with Pork, the addition of Garlic, Chilli, Rosemary, Pepper & Ex Virgin Olive Oil helps to create what I call " Lamb Crackling " & yes @stquinto a decent red  & Oh' & of course some Duck Fat Roast Potatoes & asst veg with a Red Wine Jus. 

Who is that knocking on your door Phil?

Or should I say kicking on your door as I would have a keg under each arm and no free hands. 🤣

We should have had a lamb roast tonight too but some silly bugger (me) forgot to buy a lump on Saturday so it was a simple dinner of scallop pies and steamed asparagus spears.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

LAMB.thumb.jpg.d3568efb72a87e6a0b7d074c2231a190.jpg

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Who is that knocking on your door Phil?

The Big Bad Wolf 🐺🤣

Looks a beauty Phil, - what cut is that?

Moroccan couscous for me for dinner tonight - a lamb shank, merguez sausages, chicken drumsticks and maybe some lamb meatballs

Wouldn’t turn my nose up at scallop pies and asparagus either IB2, so long as you’ve got a bit of vino for it

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

The Big Bad Wolf 🐺🤣

Looks a beauty Phil, - what cut is that?

Moroccan couscous for me for dinner tonight - a lamb shank, merguez sausages, chicken drumsticks and maybe some lamb meatballs

Wouldn’t turn my nose up at scallop pies and asparagus either IB2, so long as you’ve got a bit of vino for it

It is a Lamb Rump @stquinto or should I say it was, delightful🍴 enough left for a few sandwiches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:02 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

When they are seared & placed in the oven to slow cook, with the right meat they can be as tender as

On 11/20/2021 at 6:48 PM, stquinto said:

If I have time, I sear it on a cast iron griddle, then into an oven at 80 C

Have you blokes tried the reverse sear?

Yummy, especially if done on a smoker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I don’t have a smoker either but when I cook sous vide it ends up a reverse sear in a way - you cook it boil-in-the-bag, then get a garden flame-thrower (for burning weeds) and sear it. Got to dry it with kitchen paper first. Not a bad way, a bit of a faff, but worth it as you can leave it in the water bath almost as long as you want

144629A5-EA91-402E-BC2F-1AB9870B3F13.jpeg

ADA85E76-130D-4B9E-8E0F-76330DDDC07B.jpeg

82EDF3F6-5566-4494-BA1A-34272BA717B9.jpeg

D4190C92-9430-4A8D-BE7D-8373966891CA.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I do that with a nice slab of steak on the Weber Q. A good hot sear to seal the meat either side for a minute, then a 3 minute bake ( depending on thickness )........you get a lovely smoke from the Q. Its almost like cooking over charcoal. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I do that with a nice slab of steak on the Weber Q. A good hot sear to seal the meat either side for a minute, then a 3 minute bake ( depending on thickness )........you get a lovely smoke from the Q. Its almost like cooking over charcoal. 

You could also go the other way around. Bake for a couple of minutes, then sear over a hot grill for a minute each side. 

I go for medium. I dont want blood. Just a thin line of pink in the steak. I'm no Vampire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I go for medium. I dont want blood. Just a thin line of pink in the steak. I'm no Vampire.

Definitely with you on that one @Pale Man Searing hot pan & seal both sides, turn heat down & cook for a few minutes each side turning once, place on rack, loosely cover with foil & rest ( top chef's say it should be rested for as long as it was cooked )

Everyone is different & allowed to do what they want but seriously this is the way I was taught & this is what I do, that way it doesn't bite back !!

That ensures the meat is cooked & the correct temperature.

Different meats require different cooking temperatures to destroy harmful bacteria.

thermometer.gif

• Like 1

There's a bit of a clique group at a few restaurants in Melbourne who are doing the reverse sear thing for some of the various cuts of steak they serve. They place the room temp cut of meat in an oven at about 90 degrees and wait for the meat to be warmed through to the likeness of the customers request and then seared for a minute on each side....haven't tried this method yet.

The sear after the smoking of some cuts of meat is really tasty I have to say.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1