Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Making a pale ale:

68.6% BB pale ale malt

15.7% Vienna and pale wheat malt weyermanns

35g of Vic secret and Moutere hops at flameout for around 37ibus.

50g dry hop of each, might do 65g.

Wanted to mash in at 8am but didn't get to it until 10am. Good brewing everyone. 66c mash for 60 min with a 10 min mash out at 75c.

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 2

Brew day went well. Just cubed 23l with a few to spare. I increased the sparge as my gravity was a little high. Cubed the flameout hops at 90c but it dropped temp fast going in. Smelled nice. I have about 30 min of clean up and brew day will be done.

Cheers

Norris

20200125_130210.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:10 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Rainy crap weather here today

GO AND WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP... mmm or have a Corona if no soap handy...

Rain is beautiful ; )

Been pretty droughty so if it rains down here we all rush outside to look at the beautiful stuff ha ha 😜

On 1/23/2020 at 2:52 PM, Ben 10 said:

Must be a dark beer day

Dark Saison Benny?

I did a Stouty-Boy the other day - now in FV - and used some smoked malt... but not too much... will yours be pretty smoky with the 2.3kg?  (used it before?)

On 1/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Only one minor issue with the urn element cutting out halfway through the boil, but a quick scrub with the long handled wire brush sorted that out and it went fine from then on.

?  Does it cut out when it gets material caked on it or ? 

How does that work.... ?

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wots the Terrified  ; ) Wheat for rather than just normal old less scared malted wheat Johnno?

Torrified wheat is a pre-gelatinized unmalted brewers wheat that can be used as a cereal grain/adjunct in the mash, and can replace malted wheat if you desire. Increases body and head retention, as well as adding a very slight toasted flavor.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John304 said:

Torrified wheat is a pre-gelatinized unmalted brewers wheat that can be used as a cereal grain/adjunct in the mash, and can replace malted wheat if you desire. Increases body and head retention, as well as adding a very slight toasted flavor.

Mmm... interesting.... I believe that wheat increases body and head retention anyway... ?

6 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Question away mate. Its what this place is for. Hope your having an awesome Aussie day. 

Gold Greeny!  Cheers Cob.

Yeah had a big trip yesterday... went down the coast to fetch me 70:30 Nitro Beer Mix a mate fetched from the Gasman at Brookie... 7 hours driving... but I went for a swim in the briny surf which is always a massive refresher and caught up with me mate... got home like at 2015 but still light ; )

Am really enjoying my AG Weizen... I had lost a bit of faith as I had been drinking them after Ales... a very bad idea... now been drinking them straight up first and a few together... and they are really very nice.  And a cobber down there gave me a Bayreuth Weizen... Maisels... and I reckon mine is in that ball park... big time.  Good old AG.  Good old DIY Brew site... and with you sure fire legend brewers to help yer gotta be able to go on that journey ok... love it.

With the W3068 Weihenstephaner yeast the freshness is just beautiful!

image.png.d2ddbc0d8fb183d2e1811caaaacb30b4.png

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Brookvale? That’s a big trip for you.

I used to live down the road at Dee Why.

Yeah was a disgracefully long journey but I guess that it is all about Brewing Commitment?!?!  And I got me gills wet ; )

Thing was that I had the black beer that needed to be gassed by the nitro mix if I was going to do it... so just copped it sweet and did the hours... phaaaaaaaaaaaarque...

But doing a few body bash waves at the Roy made it all possible...

image.thumb.png.2f4f6e28ac96b305fc529b146f57d1f4.png

image.thumb.png.f731e8b05d91504a453e54f1ece7b64a.png

And back home again jiggadeejig:

image.thumb.png.0618b018c5d5874ae288d9f0a919abdb.png

Hopefully the Beer will be up to it after all that effort hey?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate wots yer Vic Secret like in the general flavour department.... ?

I haven't used it in awhile but when I opened the pack and smelled it versus the moutere, there was a stark difference in aroma with the Vic secret being very pungent and fruity.

I get a ton of passionfruit, citrus and some pine from Vic secret from the aroma and in the flavour. It is a lot like galaxy but different enough also.

It also depends on when you use it. With the high  cohumelene, I always spell that wrong, it can give a strong bitterness to the beer and a lot of dank pine to it. I toss it in at flameout and dry hop only, but others have used it in the boil and gotten good results. When I started to notice galaxy in every beer and stopped using it, for a little bit but back into it now, I switched to Vic secret and loved it. I think it is a great hop that provide a a lot of fruity citrusy aromas that I am looking for.

If you like galaxy, citra, mosaic and amarillo or hops like that, I say give it a go, you should like it as much as these.

Nice little dip and great photos, @Bearded Burbler

have a great long holiday.

Norris

• Like 2

Cheers @Norris! thanks mate.

Yeah I like Galaxy - I only experienced meself with my own brews - so was never overdosed with commercial stuff... and really like it.  And got a great result with it long boil bittering with a SMASH pils... and it was just lovely.

Mosaic - Mozzie as I call it - think it is really nice as well.  Not done Amarillo.

Reckon I just need to get some of the Vic Secret and give it a gallop!

Cheers Cob.

BB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I bag on galaxy sometimes, but that is only because I used it all the time for a while and drank a lot of brews with it. It is a great hop, hands down.

Cooooooool.  Yeah it is funny cos I only came across it with my own brewing - guess a lot of people have copped it in other brews.... so see it somewhat differently.

Do you know why @Beerlust Lusty does not like Magnum?

Or maybe Lusty - can you explain?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cooooooool.  Yeah it is funny cos I only came across it with my own brewing - guess a lot of people have copped it in other brews.... so see it somewhat differently.

Do you know why @Beerlust Lusty does not like Magnum?

Or maybe Lusty - can you explain?

I think it is because he wants to maximise the hop usage and thinks using magnum to bitter is a missed opportunity to add complexity to the beer through that bittering addition. But I am sure he will explain it better.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah was a disgracefully long journey but I guess that it is all about Brewing Commitment?!?!  And I got me gills wet ; )

Thing was that I had the black beer that needed to be gassed by the nitro mix if I was going to do it... so just copped it sweet and did the hours... phaaaaaaaaaaaarque...

But doing a few body bash waves at the Roy made it all possible...

image.thumb.png.2f4f6e28ac96b305fc529b146f57d1f4.png

image.thumb.png.f731e8b05d91504a453e54f1ece7b64a.png

And back home again jiggadeejig:

image.thumb.png.0618b018c5d5874ae288d9f0a919abdb.png

Hopefully the Beer will be up to it after all that effort hey?!

Not sure your location but couldn’t  a local gas supplier or hardware order that in for you ?

• Like 1