Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

5 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Keep us posted. I’ve heard some great things about it.  How was the run to Perth 

Yeah will do, I’ve been meaning to throw it in something for a while

Run to Perth was easy, no one around at that time of the mornin. I was back home before 8 ha ha ha

• Haha 2

Recipe: Catharina Sour
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Wild Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          40.0 %        1.30 L        
5.00 g           Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          4.8 IBUs      -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml]     Yeast         5          -             -             
1.66 L           Acerola (Secondary)                              Flavor        6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be brining to boil very briefly.
Decanting to a cube. Tomorrow I'll add 3 or 4 IBS capsules. Leave for 3 or 4 days, then pour into the urn and bring to boil with the 5 grams of Amarillo.
Then cube again. Then ferment with the French Saison yeast. When fermented I'll add the acerola juice.

Edited by Ben 10
Link
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I'll be brining to boil very briefly.
Decanting to a cube. Tomorrow I'll add 3 or 4 IBS capsules. Leave for 3 or 4 days, then pour into the urn and bring to boil with the 5 grams of Amarillo.
Then cube again. Then ferment with the French Saison yeast. When fermented I'll add the acerola juice.

Hopefully you are not brining your Brew Benny?  .... rather save that for some bacon?  😋 

Sounds festive mate.  Did you grow these Acerolas too?  Am keen to try the Saison thing... would be good to have a crack at something lower FG for once ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Starting to make a few winter brews over the next few weeks. First up is a Belgian Dark Strong. 10L batch. 1.4L starter. Pitched at 18c and raised 1c everyday after the krausen appears. Should go 10% in the bottle

Nice stuff Greeny.  Good call.  Yeah I am hoping to clear out that Ur Bock keg tonight and then have an empty keg for a Dark something-or-other.

Seems like there is hopefully some place at Brooky (Syd) that does Beer Gas where you can buy bottle outright and then swap so would be pretty nice to have a Stouty Fella for the Winter and pour that lovely creamy top.  I think even @PaddyBrew2 would approve if it was wintry... doesn't seem to have that terrible thirst for any beer at any temp that some of us Aussies have ; )

But I do like the idea of a nice dark brew for the Winter which hopefully will turn up.

• Like 1

Yeah BB. Got 4 on the drawing board to fill up my bottles. A tripel. A golden strong and another dark strong. Plus a robust porter which i will need some advice on from the gang as its a style i have never made before. I still have some imperial stout longnecks which were brewed in Feb 2019. Those should be nice too come June or July.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah BB. Got 4 on the drawing board to fill up my bottles. A tripel. A golden strong and another dark strong. Plus a robust porter which i will need some advice on from the gang as its a style i have never made before. I still have some imperial stout longnecks which were brewed in Feb 2019. Those should be nice too come June or July.

Beautiful Greeny!  Did you see my bizarre high FG Ur Bock Helles over on the wadjadringggin thread?  Reckon that brew, gassed with nitro beer mix would make a lovely creamy cold day winter warmer 😜  But it will likely be all gone tonight.....  ; )

17 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Plus a robust porter which i will need some advice on from the gang as its a style i have never made before.

17 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

imperial stout

You'll be fine with the porter if you have made an Imperial Stout.

I am trying build up stock again so whilst I have an AG Pale Ale in the FV, I thought I would whip up a kit beer. I am using Kveik in this one and fermenting at ambient temps so I’m hoping both are ready to keg next weekend.

This beer is:

1.7kg Coopers Brew A IPA

1kg Light Dry Malt

500g Dextrose

30g Centennial and 30g Brooklyn - hop tea

50g Centennial and 50g Brooklyn - Dry hop

21 litres

Kveik - Hornindal

I only have one fermenting fridge so I’m hoping the Kveik works out and allows to ferment two beers at the same time.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 3

Recipe: Kveik
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min        Hop           3          38.4 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
Opshaug Kveik Ale Yeast - WLP518            

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

Did a brew day yesterday, same ESB recipe from the last thread, but a couple of minor changes. Increased bittering hops, and kept the mash between 60-63 for 75 minutes. Hopefully the FG is a bit lower this time to offset some of the sweetness more. It will be going in on Sunday, kegging the pale tomorrow, so the yeast will have a couple of days chilling. 

Going to try a faux lager with Nottingham, read lots of brewers have done this. I did the Artisan as a real lager last time, and didn't get the strong clean crisp taste I associate with that style - it was still a pretty malty beer, even though I only used 1kg of LDM instead of the recipe 1.5. Lack of cold storage is probably the key thing. So seeing how this goes, lightening things up with BE3 and brewing at 14c. Not expecting a real lager by any means, if it ends up as another "summer ale" that's fine.

Coopers Euro, BE3, 200g LDM, 15 Hallertau 30m, 35 steeped.

Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

Brew day tomorrow doing a Pilsner. It will be keg lagered in the keggor for a few months or at least to the current Pils keg in finished.  Will be ferments at 120 with Urquell 2011. 

Marty 1st Pils.PNG

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

Brewing a Hefe today

50% Pilsner

50% Wheat

60 mins 30gms of Hallertau Mit for 13 IBU's 

May i ask a question about the yeast . Ive never used liquid yeast before.

My OG based on 67% efficiency (i always get lower when i use wheat) is 1.056

Would the WYeast 3068 snap pack be enough for this OG , as it may increase if i my efficiency goes up?

otherwise i'll use two packs of Mangrove Jacks M20 bavarian hefe yeast which is meant to be the best of the dry hefe yeasts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Would the WYeast 3068 snap pack be enough for this OG , as it may increase if i my efficiency goes up?

otherwise i'll use two packs of Mangrove Jacks M20 bavarian hefe yeast which is meant to be the best of the dry hefe yeasts

Personally I wouldn’t want to stress a hef yeast. 
You could always make a starter with your liquid yeast to get some more cells. Get a 1l soft drink bottle, 500ml wort, shake it like it owes you money, pour in the yeast, then give it a day in a dark spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Personally I wouldn’t want to stress a hef yeast. 
You could always make a starter with your liquid yeast to get some more cells. Get a 1l soft drink bottle, 500ml wort, shake it like it owes you money, pour in the yeast, then give it a day in a dark spot.

Depends whether he likes a banana hefe or clove type hefe. 

100bn in a 1056 brew might need a touch of a starter regardless though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1