Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Well it is done. My first All Grain is in the fermenter, pitched and in the brew fridge at 200.  Very happy with the way things went.  Took 5.75 hours all up but that did include 2 x 15 minute whirlpools and chilling using the immersion coil with the reticulated ice bath which added nearly an hour on its own.  Nonetheless I came in 1 point over predicted and right on the money with the wort volume.  Anyway I am on my way. 

Marty's 1st English Bitter:  23litres

Bairds Maris Otter: 93% (EBC 5-7)

Weyermanns Carafa Special T1: 4% (EBC 800-1000)  

Barrett Burstons Medium Crystal: 3% (EBC 115-145)

Fuggles 50g (60 min)

EKG 13g (15minutes)

EKG 13g Whirlpool.

OG 1039

EBC 33

IBU34.5

ABV 3.9% 

Pitched with a Nottingham slurry which came straight out of a finished ferment that I kegged today. 

20200110_130424.jpg

20200110_145751.jpg

20200110_145816.jpg

20200110_145843.jpg

20200110_164746.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Well it is done. My first All Grain is in the fermenter, pitched and in the brew fridge at 200.  Very happy with the way things went.  Took 5.75 hours all up but that did include 2 x 15 minute whirlpools and chilling using the immersion coil with the reticulated ice bath which added nearly an hour on its own.  Nonetheless I came in 1 point over predicted and right on the money with the wort volume.  Anyway I am on my way. 

Marty's 1st English Bitter:  23litres

Wow Marty - WELL DONE - the first one is always the hardest I reckon - and you seem to have come through unscathed - blaaaardy beautiful.  Well done mate.

Love your retic cooling set-up.... probably should be doing something like that meself.   Nice work.  Pulley BIAB removal... gold.

And I think mate... at one stage you said 'oh this kegged beer is so good'.... mate wait until you have had AG Keg beer... that is... PURE GOLD.

And nice to see some green shitttt in the background and not just burnt forest and droughty dry paddocks ; )

Good luck with the ferment and the final product mate!!!

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow Marty - WELL DONE - ...  ... Good luck with the ferment and the final product mate!!!

Cheers

BB

Thanks BB ...    Hope it is worth the effort mind you I enjoyed it. One thing that needs work is the reticulated ice bath.  Need a heaps bigger esky. The warm water from the outlet heated the volume I used way to qucickly. I  need a much much bigger esk for the next one. I ran the 1st couple of minutes of the heat exchange straight through from the  garden hose onto the garden but being on tank water I just dont want to run that for an hour.  It took and hour, 3 changes of water and 15 x frozen PET bottles to go from 1000 -260.  During that time I kegged a brew I had in the fermenter. I suppose next time I can clean up most of it during that.  Take out a whirlpool as well and there is probably an hour saved  there alone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks BB ...    Hope it is worth the effort mind you I enjoyed it.

Beautiful.  Seriously mate I think you will be blown away how good this stuff is... (obviating any nasty infections etc blah far ken blah blah but you done the ferment thing before plenty and have a lovely temp control brew fridge so you are off and racing)... honestly I was just amazed how good my first AG was... per bottle... honestly amazingly good.

And thanks v much re the whirlpool... that really is excellent feedback... sounds much harder than I thought - and makes good sense re heat exchange and energy transfer as 30L of hot wort has had a shed load of gas or leccy energy pumped into it...  me too on tank water so I would have to do heat-exchange w ice blocks or other not just pump the water down the drain.

Currently I have just done a serious fan blowing overnight and adding ice esky bricks to assist...  I think that my brew has not suffered resting sealed overnight and @porschemad911 John I believe has done same quite successfully.

Good stuff mate and good luck with the final brew!

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And thanks v much re the whirlpool... that really is excellent feedback... sounds much harder than I thought - and makes good sense re heat exchange and energy transfer as 30L of hot wort has had a shed load of gas or leccy energy pumped into it...  me too on tank water so I would have to do heat-exchange w ice blocks or other not just pump the water down the drain.

Will work on it and see how mark 2 goes. So far it has cost me the huge amount of $17.99 for the submergible pump.  Had a crap old esky I found on the side of the road that I drilled a couple of holes in but way to small, maybe 20 litres max.  Think if I pull out he 100+ litre one it should be more efficient.  Not using the drill on that baby though.   

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:22 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Mate I just copy the recipes. I’m too noobish to be concocting my own 

My second AG beer was one I made up myself. It's not as difficult as you may think. Hardly brewed anything but my own recipes since, although I have taken influence from others. 

• Like 4

Simple brew day today, an Amarillo SMASH with Barrett Burston Ale Malt.

Going for 1.045 at 21l

10g at 60 min

50g whirlpool at flameout

25g cubed in a tea bag

100g dry hop

US05 yeast to keep it clean at 18c.

Mashed in at 8:30 so should be able to mow the lawn and do some laundry in between.

Good brewing

Norris

20200111_072752.jpg

20200111_072703.jpg

20200111_084002.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 8

Brew day went well, got my 21l but overshot my estimated OG of 1.045 and got 1.050. I stirred three times during the mash, recirculate throughout and crushed my own grains so I was expecting to go over slightly what I had been averaging. Very happy with that.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Simple brew day today, an Amarillo SMASH with Barrett Burston Ale Malt.

20200111_072703.jpg

Nice to see the mill in action @Norris!  ... is it cycle powered ?!  😋

And am a big supporter of US05... think it is a great yeast for Ales.

1050 - gold - the more the merrier ; )

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice to see the mill in action @Norris!  ... is it cycle powered ?!  😋

And am a big supporter of US05... think it is a great yeast for Ales.

1050 - gold - the more the merrier ; )

It might of been if the power cut out! Hahaha.

I have been getting bad efficiency, I felt it was due to grain crush and maybe too much water, so I reduced it by 1.5 liters and did my own crush and I got my volumes right on and a fair efficiency, so very happy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have been getting bad efficiency, I felt it was due to grain crush and maybe too much water, so I reduced it by 1.5 liters and did my own crush and I got my volumes right on and a fair efficiency, so very happy.

Yeah that's Gold Norris mate. 

My efficiency in past was not so good but now have been doing pumped recirc in the mash (just got SS vessels no fancy electronic stuff) and also with bigger beers (ha ha most of mine) a two-stage mash so add say c. 60% fresh milled malt to begin with for first 40 and then add the last 40% for another 20-30 minutes and seem to be sucking more fermentables out now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Think that more water really should increase your efficiency... but obviously will reduce your OG...

It depends if the water reduction is only for the mash and then added to the sparse i.e. same overall water volume but a thicker mash.

Sometimes a bigger sparge can help extract more sugar and increase efficiency, especially if the sparge was quite small previously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

It depends if the water reduction is only for the mash and then added to the sparse i.e. same overall water volume but a thicker mash.

Sometimes a bigger sparge can help extract more sugar and increase efficiency, especially if the sparge was quite small previously.

Yeah was thinking more just the mash vol itself - have done some in past where had big fat load of grain and same water as usual and struggled w efficiency.  Doing a two phase mash seems to help overcome that.

Good sparge for sure can help pull out the sugars too agreed Hairy.

You done a Kölsch at all mate?

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I reduced the overall water used,but especially in the mash and slightly increased the sparged amount. Went from ~25l in the mash and ~8l in the sparge, for about a 5kg grain bill, to 20l mash and 12l sparge for the same grain bill.

• Like 2