Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

On 1/21/2020 at 7:37 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

There must be a reason why it's jumping up and down like a yo-yo. I can't figure it out obviously but something is causing it. 

It's probably not the hydrometer however I did gain a few % efficiency once I figured out mine was reading low by two points. To read correctly sometimes and not others would be highly unlikely though. Are all samples tested at the same temperature/corrected for temperature?

No, I don't think it's the hydrometer either.  And I check OG at pitching time so at the most temp compensation is for just a few degrees.   It's got me head scratchin' that's for sure!  

13 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Not sure your location but couldn’t  a local gas supplier or hardware order that in for you ?

Yeah there is BOC in town about 45 mins drive away - but they want a rental fee on their bottle...  I did a fair bit of research - on the web at least -  and asked some festive Brewers on this site... So it resulted in yes - one could do small disposable bottles of Nitrogen sole - or deal with BOC for Beergas 70:30 and pay rent -and all other roads seemed to be leading to Brookie... ; )   Stuff on the Web for HBrewers in Melbin* pointed to Brookie too...  with their local Gas guys bringing stuff in and out of Brookie...

And as me mate is nearby to Brookie if he is home... and I do visit from time to time for a crank in the swell... seemed like a good opportunity.   Problem this time I desperately needed the bottle for my Stouty-Boy in the FV... or was gunna miss the boat. Plus I had stuff to do back home so came back straight away...   so did the mad trip.  But got my own bottle now Red 😎

And I did have a very enjoyable body-bash in a few small waves most of which weren't angry 😜

Got me head broken open on a nasty sharp beach break at that same spot once...mmm 🤔

15 hours ago, Norris! said:

I think it is because he wants to maximise the hop usage and thinks using magnum to bitter is a missed opportunity to add complexity to the beer through that bittering addition. But I am sure he will explain it better.

So Magnum is just bitter and not much else?  Guess really to know what it brings I will have to try it... just avoided it so far as @Beerlust Lusty one of my esteemed Brew Coaches on this site was not particularly enamoured with it...

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah there is BOC in town about 45 mins drive away - but they want a rental fee on their bottle...  I did a fair bit of research - on the web at least -  and asked some festive Brewers on this site... So it resulted in yes - one could do small disposable bottles of Nitrogen sole - or deal with BOC for Beergas 70:30 and pay rent -and all other roads seemed to be leading to Brookie... ; )   Stuff on the Web for HBrewers in Melbin* pointed to Brookie too...  with their local Gas guys bringing stuff in and out of Brookie...

And as me mate is nearby to Brookie if he is home... and I do visit from time to time for a crank in the swell... seemed like a good opportunity.   Problem this time I desperately needed the bottle for my Stouty-Boy in the FV... or was gunna miss the boat. Plus I had stuff to do back home so came back straight away...   so did the mad trip.  But got my own bottle now Red 😎

And I did have a very enjoyable body-bash in a few small waves most of which weren't angry 😜

Got me head broken open on a nasty sharp beach break at that same spot once...mmm 🤔

Fair call mate, nice part of the world Brookie, just don’t like the footy team 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Fair call mate, nice part of the world Brookie, just don’t like the footy team 🤣

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.... I was happy to stay away from that topic Red!?!

Tho I do like DCE... just not the Team ; )

• Haha 1

A Cascade session ale loosely based on an English Bitter.

21 litres mashed at 66 degrees.

2.0 kg Maris Otter

1.0 kg Munich 

250g Medium Crystal

200g Acid

150g Cane Sugar

40g Cascade FWH

20g Cascade @ 25min

10g Cascade 10 mins

US05

Forgot to buy Whirlfloc for my first brews back, used to forget 1 out of every four brews in the past so haven't learnt much. Also thought I had 500g of Wheat left over from my last brew and that's why I needed the 150g of Cane Sugar - fits with style though.

Hit my OG target 1.038 and now need the yeast to get it down to 1.01,

Cheers

• Like 5

On 1/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, Scottie said:

200g Acid

@Scottie I assume you are talking here about acidulated malt rather than for example LSD perchance?

Keen to know whether this helps your brew efficiency (as opposed to any psychadelic experiences)...

Cos a cuppla goes of Weyermanns' acidulated in my mashing I reckon has actually helped and am thinking of getting some more in.... any thoughts on the acidulated stuff helping in your mash?

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Your on tank water out in the bush are you not BB? 

Thanks Greeny yes mate I am... and a while ago with some water quality testing think maybe around 6 from vague memory... but I have done two brews where my efficiency was a bit better and both had the acidulated in there....

I had some poorer efficiency with trying to do heavy beers and just bashing me head against the wall with grain:water ratio...  so have overcome that by doing more sensible grain:water ratios and also a progressive mash with around 65% malt in for first 40 mins alone and then add the last 35% for another 20-30...  then boil etc.

Also Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt was sold to me as having a lower efficiency but excellent body addition to brews... I will try their plain malt next bag when I can get it.

Yeah... anyway - just seemed like I was doing better with that addition of acidulated malt... could that be possible given I have rainwater low total soluble salts and lower pH to begin with?

Don't really want to buy pH meter calibration fluid blah blah - spose could get some pH Indicator paper colour strips hey...  I had a few boxes of them a while ago but they seem to have disappeared over a few moving-house episodes.

I am not that overly concerned as another kg of malt (out of a 25kg bag) is not that much of an impost...   buuuuuuuuut it is good to grab those lovely fermentables ; )

• Like 1

Yeah its interesting with ph levels. My water tank in the centre of sydney runs at 5.5ph while the tap water is 7.5ph. A straight pilsner mash in tank water will give me 5.4 mash ph and with the tap water a 5.7 mash ph. For tap water it definitely helps efficiency with some acid malt to get it into that midway point between 5.2 and 5.6. I bought a ph meter and to be honest kind of a waste of money bar when im doing a never before done batch.

On another note im not going to use tank water for a few months. After the dust and the rain in sydney you should see the colour of the water. Its like a beef stock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Cheers Greeny.

Yeah I probably can get access to a pH meter... but I might get some more acidulateds and try + - and try to keep other matters constant and see if there is a difference there.  Those two +acidulateds brews I described above certainly did seem to suck more fermentables out of me grain and not have it all go to me mate's neddies ; )

Funny story - thought the Neds would not like the Dark Mash from the Stouty Boy... and mate's daughter said they loved it... and was quite nicely shocked when I sent her a photo of the brew.... "Wow that IS dark".... ha ha.

Shame to hear about your water... I have a particulate filter and then an activated charcoal filter - recently replaced.... and it all seems pretty good so far.

And we have had plenty of dust.  One of me dodgy mates who is in the water treatment game was laughing saying he reckoned the ash from the fires might balance out the dirt from the dust and help floc it all out ; )

Probably what is happening is my particulate filter and charcoal fella are all being filled up with gunk and will need replacing much sooner : |

22 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

@Scottie I assume you are talking here about acidulated malt rather than for example LSD perchance?

Keen to know whether this helps your brew efficiency (as opposed to any psychadelic experiences)...

Cos a cuppla goes of Weyermanns' acidulated in my mashing I reckon has actually helped and am thinking of getting some more in.... any thoughts on the acidulated stuff helping in your mash?

My efficiency is pretty ordinary, Brew House 70% on this brew, without Acidulated malt I get around 66%.. 

• Like 2

AG brew #3. An Australian Pale Ale of sorts.   doing a 35litre batch with 15 litres cubed for my son in-law then completing the chill and then pitching mine. The target SG is 1050 but will be pitched at 1040 due to the cube being 15l so will have to add a few litres of water well that is the plan. Lets see if it comes out that way.   The hops are Northern Brewer Bittering, 30g of Cascade flower 10 minutes and then 70g Cascade Flower for a whirlpool and 80hot stand of 20 minutes or so.   20200131_080707.thumb.jpg.36552c57d7cfb0a591e85ad745bf271f.jpg444181875_Brewday.thumb.PNG.c93231aa9940f95375d4f8d459b180b6.PNG

• Like 3

I've recently moved from mini-BIAB (19lt pot) to 35lt BIAB and noticed a drop in efficiency in the first two brews I've done with the new system. I'm not too worried, I'm still getting the hang of how accurate the volume markings are on the digiboil, but it is interesting that from the first two brews the efficiency has seemed to have dropped by 6-7%.

I was sparging with 65deg water in mini BIAB but haven't done this so far (as I thought I wouldn't need to). Both brews in the digiboil have been fairly basic pale ales (see below).

I was wondering if raising and lowering the bag during the mashout stage would positively influence the efficiency?

RH Pale Ale v2

5.4% / 12.5 °P

All Grain

BIAB (RH - DB)

65.5% efficiency

Batch Volume: 21 L

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 30.9 L

Total Water: 30.9 L

Boil Volume: 26.92 L

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.051

Final Gravity: 1.010

IBU (Tinseth): 30

Color: 9.3 EBC 

Mash

Temperature — 66 °C — 60 min

Temperature — 78 °C — 10 min

Malts (5.3 kg)

4 kg (75.5%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Finest Maris Otter — Grain — 5 EBC

1 kg (18.9%) — Weyermann Vienna Malt — Grain — 5.9 EBC

300 g (5.7%) — BestMalz Wheat Malt — Grain — 4.8 EBC

Hops (55 g)

15 g (22 IBU) — Chinook 12.1% — Boil — 60 min

30 g (7 IBU) — Cascade 5.5% — Boil — 10 min

10 g (0 IBU) — Cascade 5.5% — Boil — 1 min

Miscs

30 ml — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

Yeast

1 pkg — Fermentis US-05 Safale American

Fermentation

Primary — 18 °C — 14 days

Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

• Like 4

I brewed my rice lager today. It was my first time using sorachi ace hops and I wasn’t a fan of the smell or taste from the hydrometer sample but hopefully that will change when it comes out of the tap after fermentation. 

Most of the time brew day is also barbecue day and on the menu today is a lamb shoulder on the Traeger. 

BB

DA0AC6E6-EE63-42E0-BA3A-5B41A15FAB0A.jpeg

47A5FD0C-2D0A-4DD5-96D2-78065F601D70.jpeg

AC626047-2964-4A52-8E8B-A53B5C99D893.jpeg

• Like 7

On 1/28/2020 at 8:09 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Don't really want to buy pH meter calibration fluid blah blah - spose could get some pH Indicator paper colour strips hey...  I had a few boxes of them a while ago but they seem to have disappeared over a few moving-house episodes.

I am not that overly concerned as another kg of malt (out of a 25kg bag) is not that much of an impost...   buuuuuuuuut it is good to grab those lovely fermentables ; )

I bought a battery pH meter on ebay back when I had my aquaponics set up - came with calibration solutions. But stick in in the liquid, turn it on and instant reads - cost like $8 from memory - little yellow rectangle thing with a cap over the sensor.