Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Also i know you probably want to keep it simple and i dont know your water profile but a gypsum addition also works well for pommie style beers. I put 7gm for a 19L batch based on my sydney water.

Thats one to look at for the future.

On tank water. The concensus was to leave it as it should be nice and soft. 

• Like 1

Iv been using a bit of acidulated malt in most my brews lately mostly due to the fact I had it sitting there and its not a large addition but I probably should look at gypsum as its probably a lot cheaper. Was tempted on doing a few using RO water as I have a endless supply of it at work just to see if the difference is noticeable. But I use mostly tank water and it works a treat! good luck with the first AG run!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Nottingham is what I have about 4th gen I think. Why do you have another recommendation? It will be a slurry straight out of the fermenter.   I have a pseudo rice lager I did at 15which is at 20 right now and will be kegged while I am whirlpooling the cooled wort tomorrow.   I will take a sample right of that yeast cake wash the fermemter and then fill it, pitch and then straight into the fidge at 19O

Notty is good mate. If i was going to recommend a dry yeast it would be that or S04. 

Good stuff mate. Should be a corker!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Good stuff mate. Should be a corker!!

I am looking forward to it. Pretty much have my head around the basics of grain bills. You know the stuff base Malts, dextrine grains for head and body and and roast grains for colour. That is how I see the basics of it.  Just have to get hop combinations/flavours and schedules together before I lashout and start putting my own recipes together.  Which probably will not be long. 

Another mostly grain (84%) British Golden Ale.  Using some left over hops from a previous English bitter.  I think the sticklebract hops are really old, no aroma detected so the IBU's are a bit of a guesstimate as a result. 

Rudstickle Gold

(20 litres)

• 2.5kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 300g GF Toffee Malt
  • 200f GF Sour Grapes Malt
  • 600g LME
  • 10g Green Bullet hops @50mins
  • 25g Sticklebract hops @15mins
  • 25g Dr Rudi hops @5mins
  • 5 Gypsum
  • Kit Yeast!

| ABV=4% | EBC= 8 | IBU=35-40 |

Already experienced my first mishap.... the grain bag split!   😲  

• Sad 5

Well nothing in the big boy but 2 brews coming up. In the mean time just happened to have a few kilos of ripe mangoes sitting around, so wahtta ya do? Make mango wine of course!

Edited by ozlizard
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Sound good Captain. I've enjoyed Vic Secret. Would be a cool spin on that kind of beer. Is the steep at flameout?

Steep is cube hop at 82c 

As it is such a high alpha hop, was hoping this’ll still make a decent beer by only doing a cube hop

On 1/6/2020 at 6:51 PM, Ben 10 said:

Never. I have always made all of mine up.

Yeah me too pretty much Benny... good to be a free spirit.  A glance at a few other recipes helps but we do have the right to self determination as Brewers ; )

And I have never brewed a bad AG yet... burnt one due to suspected faulty heating element that was rapidly replaced by supplier... but that was the only failure so far and hopefully will stay that way!?!

On 1/8/2020 at 8:58 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Where I need some reasurrance is the pop schedule.

Is that Top of the Pops Marty or Top of the Hops for the Schedule cobber?  🤣

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 1/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, Smashed Crabs said:

Iv been using a bit of acidulated malt in most my brews lately mostly due to the fact I had it sitting there and its not a large addition but I probably should look at gypsum as its probably a lot cheaper. Was tempted on doing a few using RO water as I have a endless supply of it at work just to see if the difference is noticeable. But I use mostly tank water and it works a treat! good luck with the first AG run!

Yeah dunno whether I am following properly but SC mate acidulated malt affects pH to assist in pH reduction... while Gypsum is an addition of salts to assist in taking water from a low salt profile to something like Burton-on-Trent harder water for use in Bitter... so they are completely different water treatments...  so you cannot drop acidulated malt and add gypsum to achieve the same result... but you can drop acid malt and add Gypsum if you are pursuing a specific water profile more akin to Burton-on-Trent.

That's the theory.... now... I shall await quietly for a practical experienced brewer to dump a whole load of hot mash on top of me 😋

• Haha 1

And hey you lot - just cos I have got the last half a dozen postings doesn't mean I am trying to take over - it's just that some kind ffffffffffellla changed the thread name and it took me an age to work out why things had gone so quiet on the Brew Day thread...  ; )

• Haha 1

Cooked up my American Viking Pale Ale today. Brew day went well. Few points up which is always a bonus. 

American Viking PA

4kg American ale

1kg Munich

.5 medium crystal

90min mash/65 boil

13g warrior @60

20g cascade @ 20

20g Columbus @10

20g chinook @FO

IBU 55

5.4 ABV in the keg. 

cubed and will be pitching the opshaug Kveik on Sunday. Dry hop on Wednesday I’d say. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

No expectations

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Can you advise once done - would be v v interested in final SG.... as I had a 1067 go only to 1020 recently and am interested to see where yours might end up.

Cheers

BB