Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

6 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

ROY &HG "bludging on the blind side"!!

... the 'Elevenist Cult' is a rip-roaring laugh with some great audience contribution ha ha... 

Besides the Pelican and Donut debate ha ha ; )

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, amberfiend said:

Spooky, a few mates & I were chatting about Golden Brown the other day over a beer or two. Loved this new wave/punk version (early 80's?) that was a remake of the Dave Brubeck Quartet from the 60's that my Dad would spin up on the Stereo way back, chucked into the brilliant movie Snatch around the turn the Century.  Given it seems to resurface in 20 year cycles, we are expecting it back on the scene sometime soon??

Good call @amberfiend like your style.

4 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Spooky, a few mates & I were chatting about Golden Brown the other day over a beer or two. Loved this new wave/punk version (early 80's?) that was a remake of the Dave Brubeck Quartet from the 60's that my Dad would spin up on the Stereo way back, chucked into the brilliant movie Snatch around the turn the Century.  Given it seems to resurface in 20 year cycles, we are expecting it back on the scene sometime soon??

Good call @amberfiend like your style.

yeah the brubeck version is excellent, it also was featured on a recent series (the umbrella academy) which has brought onboard a new wave of fans that werent even born when the stranglers version came out 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I'm pretty sure the song was an original by The Stranglers.  Great song too.

Dave Brubeck composed Take Five which has a similar intro.

the brubeck version almost seemed re sampled at points in the way its played, quite possible really just to give it a slight nod to modern production techniques ?

Loved some of the covers they’ve put into the umbrella academy. Have a playlist of all the music from it.

But the song that always pops into my head with Golden Brown is. Don’t Fear the Reaper. I love the Blue Oyster Cult version but a kiwi mate of mine put me onto this one by The Mutton Birds. Ripper track

https://youtu.be/u2NpXSknaVo

• Like 2

i was kind of fortunate/unfortunate to grow up with a dad who was heavily involved in the local music industry, as a result i got exposed to a lot of live local music at an early age and have a pretty broad range when it comes to musical taste these days.. the following clip features renee geyer, paul hester and ross hannaford (daddy who fame) apparently my dad played bass alongside hm in a church band, but they are both dead now so no way of corfirming that lol.. i spent years visiting the esplanade hotel every monday night where his band diana kiss used to perform in the public bar there back in the days, great drinking music yeah, they would do blues reggae soul rock numbers, all experienced and talented live players so it was never a bad gig yeah, anyway, this is a taste of what it was like *even though renee wasnt a regular by this stage she still came down to melbourne for the ocasional live performance here and there etc 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Loved some of the covers they’ve put into the umbrella academy. Have a playlist of all the music from it.

But the song that always pops into my head with Golden Brown is. Don’t Fear the Reaper. I love the Blue Oyster Cult version but a kiwi mate of mine put me onto this one by The Mutton Birds. Ripper track

https://youtu.be/u2NpXSknaVo

Great song! Needs more cowbell 😝

From The Frighteners, a good movie too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

love hammocks earlier work, it still had that electric/rock element that has kind of faded away in their recent stuff.

this is probably my favorite tune of theirs

*if your going through any kind of heavy life type issues, be careful, this one can break you open 😉 lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amberfiend said:

*if you're going through any kind of heavy life type issues, be careful, this one can break you open

am going through a bit of a tough patch - and this just makes me feel great.... ha ha... sennnnsational.... really good stuff AF!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

am going through a bit of a tough patch - and this just makes me feel great.... ha ha... sennnnsational.... really good stuff AF!

mate, you have to listen to the whole album, it so f^%$#n good 😉 got me through a difficult winter a few years back yeah

• Like 2

any of you heads up in here enjoy ambient music ? *i listen to a huge amount of instrumental music mostly, from obscure electronic to neo classical, lately ive been binging on quite a bit of ambient stuff and would be happy to share some links if anybody else is into it 😉

Edited by amberfiend
  • Like 1