Coopers Community

EB Porter ... Dictionary?

• 11 months later...

I first saw this concept/recipe courtesy of His Majesty on FastHomewbrew, and it has been an inspiration. This is the first brew I have done with grains in about 10 years...... I am calling my version 'One Hack of a Porter' and it went a little something like this:

1.7kg English Bitter (duh!)

1.3kg light dry malt

200g brown sugar

227g (8oz) chocolate malt (600)

454g (1lb) crystal malt (120)

28g (1oz) East Kent Goldings @ 10 minutes

OG 1050

Nottingham & Kit yeast

Pitched @ 22°C, ambient 17-19°C, actual FV 19-20°C

It went off like a freaking rocket - down to 1011 in less than 3 days! Krausen wasn't that big, but I've never seen so much 'swirling' activity within the brew itself. SG sample tastes delicious already. I don't rack to secondary, and I bottle condition for a long time, so it should be good to bottle at 6-7 days.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new here, just ghosting the forum. I'm not from down under, I'm actually from the almost Northernmost part of the US, not too far from the Canadian border, and the Northernmost monument to the Confederacy in Helena, Montana ..... so I don't understand some of your lingo ..... but I try to assume what you are saying.

King Ruddager mentions in the EB Porter thread - 1.7Kg English Bitter (of course) - is this a kit, or is is just LME or DME in a can/bottle? I know this was an old thread (2013), but since he's still posting, I hope he can give me an answer! Since my LHBS which is 220 miles away doesn't carry Cooper's (it's available online), I do mostly all grain beers, and I only buy extract kits online as I can afford it --- so I'll be trying to convert some of your recipes to all grain as well as to US measurements. Hopefully, the brews will come out as well as yours have. I'm a great fan of porters, Stouts, and IPA's (including the Black IPA's on your forums!), but I've never heard of/seen an EB Porter, so this will be a new experiment for me.

Thanks for your forum, and I look forward to seeing and brewing more recipes from Australia!

The EB kit is in the International Series, and apparently contains Styrian Goldings as a finishing hop.

I've recently brewed the RoboChoc recipe with a touch of rye and a few other tweaks, tastes delicious (and very chocolaty) at an early age.

All the recipes in this thread look very tasty - good luck!

I googled for Cooper's EB, and got nothing but a you-tube from Australia showing how to brew the kit. I'll have to do more searching, there's got to be someone here in the US that sells the kit! Thanks for letting me know!

• 1 year later...

G'day all,

Will be doing (yet another) EB Porter soon and want to put some vanilla in it - just because!

Have never used vanilla before, can anyone offer any tips - process? amount?

Will be a 21 litre batch...

Cheers

Steve

I googled for Cooper's EB' date=' and got nothing but a you-tube from Australia showing how to brew the kit. I'll have to do more searching, there's got to be someone here in the US that sells the kit! Thanks for letting me know![/quote']

Hah, that's probably one of my videos

• 2 weeks later...

Philbo' date=' I suspect you are right about the English Bitter kit containing a fair bit of crystal already. My take on Coopers is that they, like the Brits, keep their grist pretty simple. The only specialty grains in English Bitter are likely crystal malts, +/- a bit of chocolate malt (for that toasty note). According to Ian's spreadsheet, the EBC of the English Bitter kit is 22.8. Using the Brewer's Friend recipe calculator, one can get to that with 200gm C60L (6.5%), 100gm C120L (3%), and 50gm chocolate malt (1.5%). The Real Ale kit with EBC 12.5 is easier as tradition tells us recipes are usually 90-95% base malt and 5-10% medium crystal. All you need for that is 200gm C60L (7%). Can't really make a guess about the Dark Ale kit though, as there are too many variables.[/quote']

If you ever get any more info like this (especially the ambers and darks), I'd like to see it posted. I've been looking for some kind of breakdown on DME/LME for a long while, becuz I usually have to convert the extract recipes to all grain, and now I have to convert from metric to US and then from extract to all grain. I'm really wanting to try these conversions of a 'normal' Porter recipe to an EB porter recipe. You guys rock!

Thanks

@ MarkC, Hoppy and others - Thanks for the welcome, and the links. Good/bad news! I can order the EB from a homebrew shop in Texas ( a long way south, but at least it's here in the US). That will save shipping it from Australia. Now I just need to find out about shipping, and save back some bucks for it!

Thanks all!

• 1 year later...

Wanted to do a porter and had some Styrian Goldings left over, so this recipe seemed like a natural choice. However, in doing some forum searching prior to making a decision I found constant mention of SteveL's EB porter. Can someone explain to me why the EB is a good base for a porter and whether there is any issue with the Devil's Ruby half porter can? Would I be able to use the Styrian Golding's in an EB porter?

27 minutes ago, Cassius said:

Wanted to do a porter and had some Styrian Goldings left over, so this recipe seemed like a natural choice. However, in doing some forum searching prior to making a decision I found constant mention of SteveL's EB porter. Can someone explain to me why the EB is a good base for a porter and whether there is any issue with the Devil's Ruby half porter can? Would I be able to use the Styrian Golding's in an EB porter?

Stouts and Porters are hard to differentiate, many ingredient seem to be the same, except Stout uses mostly roasted barley and Porters malted Barley. I stand to be corrected on that though...

I guess if people have used the EB kit to make a Porter, it can be done - you'll just have to do more work adding other ingredients yourself.

Given this thread started in 2013 it pre-dates the availability of the Ruby Porter in 2016. You could use Styrian as it's in the same vein as EK goldings and Fuggles.

Edited by Lab Rat

If you wish to make a Porter using the English Bitter as a base then certainly worth reading SteveL's posts on this as he pioneered the Porter from this base.

Coopers have since produced & released a Porter base. I have brewed the Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter that uses the new Porter kit not too long back & it was delicious. You have to like the coconut flavour though. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Alright. I'm going to make plenty of porters so I might start basic. I think I'll make the Toasted Coconut Porter but I'm still umming and ahhing over whether to put the coconut in. My boss is an all-grain brewer and mentioned that the oils in coconut can kill the head. I imagine that's why some other coconut recipes suggest toasting the coconut as well as you can without burning it (presumably to dry out the oils?). Thanks very much for your input. My mouth is watering just thinking of the dark, roastiness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ive been doing a bit research on porter recipes as i want to brew one using a plain daught tin with DME and steep my dark grains. Ive found a lot of recipes with brown malt as a major componant of porters. Does anyone use brown malt in their porters and if so is it better then just choc malt and roasted barley? 

From what ive read a good recipe would be

Pale malt, brown malt, crystal 120, choc malt, roast barley. Everyone says to keep the roast notes to a minimum and a lot of people swear by the addition of brown malt.

Any advice appreciated 👍🍻

18 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you should veer away from Roasted Barley in your Porters, unless you wan to call it a Stout.

Cheers mate! I thought the same myself after reading in a few places that roasted notes are not appropriate for porters but ive still found many porters recipes with roasted barley!

• Like 1