Coopers Community

EB Porter ... Dictionary?

You know what? I'm keeping it. I've re-named it (again) to "Ruddager's Very Roasty Porter" and that's that. The tweaks I was considering would've brought it very close to the Poida Porter but I think I'll leave it as is. I reckon I'll make a Poida Porter next anyway, but I like mine too. Good times.

Just out of curiosity KR, if you did not want any roasty character, why put RB in it at all? 150g is definitely enough to come through in the flavour.

I usually go nuts on the choc for a porter but save the RB for my stouts. [love]

I thought your recipe still sounded like a nice beer. Certainly keep it mate. [cool]

Hey David

I have to agree with Steve on this one. I'm just sampling another of his EB Porter recipe at 61.3 weeks in the bottle. It is A1, the only problem is I am running out. To top this off in my follow up brew I substituted Demerara sugar for the Dark Brown. It is a different brew with a harsher bitterness and may take longer to settle. So I need to have another crack at the original.

You know what? I'm keeping it.

It's not three months old yet, right?

I bet wonderful things keep happening to it after three months...

cheers

Just out of curiosity KR' date=' if you did not want any roasty character, why put RB in it at all? 150g is definitely enough to come through in the flavour.[/quote']

I did want roastiness, just probably not quite as much as I ended up with.

Sounds like I might have to balance the consumption a bit better too to make sure at least a few of them make it to the three month mark.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's three months later and I still have almost half of it left!! Time to enjoy.

I still think it's a bit too roasty for a porter, but it's all good [smile] I like it. I think I can do better, but I like it. The adjustments I'd make would probably bring it pretty close (ie. even closer) to the other recipes so ... there you go [smile]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bored and playing around with grain ideas again ... I reckon next time I'll use (roughly, because I'm bound to change it) the following:

300g pale choc, up from 200

80g roast barley, down from 150 because ... well, see above

200g smoked malt, to replace crystal and add smokeyness and bacon

The rest I will leave as is.

• 4 weeks later...

Just tasted the 1-week sample and ... holy crap [w00t]

It's a little light in colour for what I think a porter should be but that's no big problem and can be fixed with just 20g more choc malt

Final grains were ...

200g Choc 1200

50g Roasted Barley

150g Smoked Malt

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this and works for me

1.7 kg coopers ipa couldn't get hold of English bitter

1 kg coopers light malt extract

500g coopers wheat malt extract

200g dry dark malt

500g choc malt

200g roast malt

fuggles

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I remember making a very similar one to Craig's some time ago. I reckon I just did the EB kit' date=' 1kg DME, 250g Dex, 300-400g Chocolate and no Crystal. I always had the feeling that the EB kit has a fair bit of that kind of flavour any way, and I [love'] chocolate malt.

Reckon I probably threw some EKG or Fuggles into a boil with the grain steepings and boom. I even used Windsor too I think.

Was a treat. [happy]

EDIT: If you're not used to Windsor, be aware that it will go ape shit for 3-4 days then stop dead at a slightly higher gravity than you'd think. This is normal. [pinched] Reckon mine was around 1.018-1.019.

Philbo, I suspect you are right about the English Bitter kit containing a fair bit of crystal already. My take on Coopers is that they, like the Brits, keep their grist pretty simple. The only specialty grains in English Bitter are likely crystal malts, +/- a bit of chocolate malt (for that toasty note). According to Ian's spreadsheet, the EBC of the English Bitter kit is 22.8. Using the Brewer's Friend recipe calculator, one can get to that with 200gm C60L (6.5%), 100gm C120L (3%), and 50gm chocolate malt (1.5%). The Real Ale kit with EBC 12.5 is easier as tradition tells us recipes are usually 90-95% base malt and 5-10% medium crystal. All you need for that is 200gm C60L (7%). Can't really make a guess about the Dark Ale kit though, as there are too many variables.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

BUMP!

Hey everyone. So I found myself with an EB tin and a sachet of Nottingham yeast destined for other brews when I stumbled across some tasty looking porter recipes so I thought why not finally brew up an EB Porter after drooling over this thread numerous times. Here are the ingredients I have put together:

Mark's EB Porter

1.7kg EB Tin

1kg LDM

150g Dry Wheat Malt

250g Chocolate Malt

200g Caramunich

150g Dark Crystal

50g Carafa III

Nottingham Yeasties

21 litre batch

Estimates

OG 1052 / FG 1013

EBC 59.8 / IBU 40'ish?

My plan is to drink half at Xmas time and keep the other half for Winter 2016 cool

Cheers + beers,

Mark