Coopers Community

EB Porter ... Dictionary?

There's a few threads about this one and a recipe on CraigTube as well, but last time I made the EB porter it wasn't quite right so I must've buggered up somewhere along the way. That was a year ago though and very early days for me, so I'm keen to give it another crack. In fact, I've already got the kit!!

So, hit me with your English Bitter based porter recipes why not.

If it helps at all, I go crazy over the Lobethal Bierhaus's "Red Truck Porter", so if anyone's familiar with it then please help me out [smile]

General recipe

Having looked at several of these recipes now there's clearly some common ingredients, so here's a breakdown:

Base

1.7Kg English Bitter (of course)

Fermentables

1.0-1.7Kg light DME (or LME equivalent), tending towards the lower end of the scale

200g brown sugar (usually when using less than 1.2Kg DME)

Grains

200-300g chocolate malt (600 or 1200 to balance colour)

50-150g roast barley (optional - some argue there shouldn't be any at all but 100g is often used)

150-500g crystal (light or medium to balance colour)

100-200g smoked malt (optional)

Hops

Up to 30g Fuggles or East Kent Goldings for 10 mins (optional, and divided as you see fit)

Yeast

Your choice. S04, Cooper's, Windsor and Nottingham have all been suggested

Recipes from around the forum ...

Revised recipe

1.7Kg English Bitter

300g chocolate grain

250 medium crystal grain

100g roasted barley

200g dark brown sugar

1kg light dry malt

21g Coopers yeast

made to 21 litres

Revised recipe

1.7Kg English Bitter

300g Choc malt 600

100g Roast Barley

200g Medium Crystal 120

1kg of DME

200g Dark Brown Sugar (either this or molasses)

15g EKG @10mins

15g EKG @flame out

Yeast S04

Original post

1.7kg English Bitter

1.5kg Coopers light LME

200g Pale chocolate malt (~600)

150g Roast barley (~1300)

150g Light Crystal (~60)

200g Brown sugar

30g Fuggles @10

Nottingham yeast

23L

1.7kg EB Tin

1kg LDM

150g Dry Wheat Malt

250g Chocolate Malt

200g Caramunich

150g Dark Crystal

50g Carafa III

Nottingham Yeasties

21 litre batch

Cooper's "Robo Choc" recipe of the month from July' date=' 2014 ...[/b']

Recipe

1.7kg English Bitter

1.5kg amber liquid malt extract

250g white sugar

300g dark crystal

200g chocolate malt

100g roasted malt

Nottingham yeast

22L

Other recipes ...

1.7Kg English Bitter

1.5kg light liquid malt extract

500g light dry malt

500g crystal 60L

230g chocolate Malt

30g Fuggles @10 minutes

1 worlflock tablet or irish moss for clearing

Windsor English Style yeast

Original post

1.7kg English Bitter

1.7kg OS Stout

200g smoked Malt

200g dextrose

23L water

14g Cooper's Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

1.7kg OS Draught Kit

1.5kg liquid amber malt extract

250g brown sugar

250g dark crystal

125g choc malt

50g roasted barley

30g fuggles @15 min

rehydrated 2x kit yeasts 19-21

I'll be watching this thread

After bottling my current brew, I'm planning on a Honey Malt Ale

1 x Coopers English Bitters

1kg Amber DME

0.5kg BE2 (cos i wanna get rid of it)

0.75g Honey

2 x Coopers Ale Sachets - pitch at 24 degrees

Ferment at 18 degrees

I'm looking for a fireside winter warmer - e.g. pint glasses with handles, beanies on heads, big beards, a bonfire and a Harley Davidson that won't start

To begin with, this is Craig's recipe:

1.5kg light liquid malt extract

1 can Coopers English Bitter

500g Light Dry Malt Extract

500g Crystal 60L

230g Chocolate Malt

30g Fuggles Hops @10 minutes

1 worlflock tablet or irish moss for clearing

Windsor English Style Yeast

I remember making a very similar one to Craig's some time ago. I reckon I just did the EB kit, 1kg DME, 250g Dex, 300-400g Chocolate and no Crystal. I always had the feeling that the EB kit has a fair bit of that kind of flavour any way, and I [love] chocolate malt.

Reckon I probably threw some EKG or Fuggles into a boil with the grain steepings and boom. I even used Windsor too I think.

Was a treat. [happy]

EDIT: If you're not used to Windsor, be aware that it will go ape shit for 3-4 days then stop dead at a slightly higher gravity than you'd think. This is normal. [pinched] Reckon mine was around 1.018-1.019.

Mmmmm

img5187a.jpg

If I had to rank my beers on being closest to the real thing then

SteveL's EB Porter would be #1.

No mistaking this for what it is, very close to a James Squire Jack Of Spades, probably a bit dark though.

As I have said before this one is about the grains and I think the hops would be out of place, or even wasted as they battle to those roasted chocolate flavours for recognition.

I might turn this thread into an EB porter recipe resource of sorts actually - from now on I'll start adding recipes to the top post why not.

I see that Steve L's recipe is only for 21 litres - would it hurt much to make it up to 23? Perhaps I could add 10% more LDM and grains? There's no good reason for this of course, just that I know I can get 30 bottles out of 23L and I like even numbers [bandit]

just that I know I can get 30 bottles out of 23L and I like even numbers [bandit]

23 ain't an even number cocky.

Anyway I reckon if your going up 2 litres in 21 i.e. close enough to 10%, then I reckon increase all ingredients, except the yeast, by 10% and you've got it. Pedantic dudes would say increased the yeast by 10% also [rightful]

Righto, first (second now) iteration recipe ...

1.7kg English Bitter

1.5kg Coopers light LME

200g Pale chocolate malt (~600)

150g Roast barley (~1300)

150g Light Crystal (~60)

200g Brown sugar

30g Fuggles @10

Nottingham yeast?

OG 1.050

FG 1.012

IBU 37.4

EBC 61.0

ABV 5.1%

Fits within the parameters of a "Robust Porter" according to that international whatsit of styles. Hopefully there's enough grains in there to get the roasted, chocolatey flavour I'm looking for.

Okie dokie, I updated the list at the top with links and new recipes (including AdamH's Poita Porter and my yet-to-be-brewed aggregate porter which, looking at it, has a lot more roasted barley than the rest).

I hope this turns into a useful thread. If anyone thinks I've missed anyone's recipes then please let me know!

Mmmmm

img5187a.jpg

If I had to rank my beers on being closest to the real thing then

SteveL's EB Porter would be #1.

No mistaking this for what it is, very close to a James Squire Jack Of Spades, probably a bit dark though.

As I have said before this one is about the grains and I think the hops would be out of place, or even wasted as they battle to those roasted chocolate flavours for recognition.

Agree with all Scottie said there, have done many variations and hops get lost in this one, it's all about the choc grain and roasted barley.

To clarify, it's not my original recipe, I reckon I found it on AHB ages ago and have been happily tweaking ever since. Not sure it was intended as a JS clone, but who cares: I reckon it's better than JS anyway!

Cheers

Well, just put my recipe down. It went well actually - I didn't even forget any ingredients for a change! Fingers crossed for good results, or else I'll be forced to remove my own recipe from the list [sad] Seemed good out of the hydrometer though [wink]

Hah!

Well if you must know I accidentally got the grains up above 80\xb0 and almost left the veggie steamer I use to keep the grain bag off the bottom in during the boil. Made a lot more mess than usual too, but that doesn't affect the brew itself. In fact I got wet grains all over the floor and am waiting for it to dry up so that I can sweep it easily.

Hah!

Well if you must know I accidentally got the grains up above 80\xb0 and almost left the veggie steamer I use to keep the grain bag off the bottom in during the boil. Made a lot more mess than usual too, but that doesn't affect the brew itself. In fact I got wet grains all over the floor and am waiting for it to dry up so that I can sweep it easily.

That's the stuff I needed; you are like a dealer in my hour of need.

Thanks mate!

• 2 weeks later...