Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Scottie

Go for it big boy, I'm sure it'll be great (again, you smart alec smarmy b@st*rd). Hope you've been having a graet season for your climes. My sister (on the Mornington Peninsula) tells me she had a lovely 22C day on the 25th, but I've been too busy suffering in the Brissie heat and humidity to notice what's been happening in Australia's pubic region.

It seems it's all the same to you, so send me the Maris Otter while you enjoy your holiday.

PS. Most disappointed to see you didn't buy yourself a haircut for Christmas.

Got the hops boiling on Cooper's ROTM Mosaic Amber Ale.

I'm using BRY-97 yeast on this one.

Geez the hops smell good.

Did you taste it? I did' date=' it was very different to any other sweet wort that I have tried. Hoping this one ferments out OK, looking forward to sampling the fruits of my labour on this one.

Happy Brewing

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Today on my wife's request, I brewed a raspberry petite saison as follows.

Grain

1.75kg Heidelberg pilsner malt

50g 240EBC crystal malt

Hops

20g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 60mins

8g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 15mins

2g Nelson Sauvin @ 15mins

Yeast

Harvested Wyeast 3726PC Farmhouse ale

This was a very smooth brew day. It was the first time I used my 15l Esky beverage cooler and 21l kettle and both worked great. Very nice to be able to do a full volume boil and also have plenty of headroom to avoid worrying about a boilover.

First time doing a proper batch sparge as well. I mashed with 7.25 litres water and my grain bag for 60mins @ 66C and then drained the cooler completely. I then added 7.5 litres sparge water, gave everything a good stir and let that sit for 10 minutes with the lid on before draining the cooler completely again. I then sat my grain bag in a colander to drain completely as the first and second runnings came up to a boil.

Thankfully my gas stove had no worries at all with the boil, but I must have overestimated my boil-off rate because I ended up with 11 litres in the fermenter for this batch instead of 10. Luckily my efficiency was at about 75% instead of the estimated 65% so I ended up with an OG of 1.038 (target was 1.036 for 10 litres).

For a finishing touch, I added 250g frozen and thawed raspberries in a hop sock straight into the fermenter. Not looking for a strong raspberry flavour in this one, just a hint. Hopefully it still finishes at about 4% ABV for a nice refreshing summer saison happy

Did you taste it? I did' date=' it was very different to any other sweet wort that I have tried. Hoping this one ferments out OK, looking forward to sampling the fruits of my labour on this one.

Happy Brewing

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I didn't taste it. But it is fermenting away well at the moment. The aroma from the fridge when I open the door is amazing. I'll probably have a taste when I dry hop and get a gravity reading.

Today on my wife's request' date=' I brewed a raspberry petite saison as follows.

[b']Grain[/b]

1.75kg Heidelberg pilsner malt

50g 240EBC crystal malt

Hops

20g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 60mins

8g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 15mins

2g Nelson Sauvin @ 15mins

Yeast

Harvested Wyeast 3726PC Farmhouse ale

250g frozen and thawed raspberries in a hop sock straight into the fermenter

That sounds bloody delicious -- really keen to hear how this comes out, as I'd love to make a Saison in the Craft fermenter but have too many recipes to choose from...

Happy Brewing

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I tasted it today. Still sweet. But yes I agree there is something different. The black wheat? Tastes as though it's going to be a really good brew.

It is at 1.017 and I'll dry hop tomorrow.

That sounds bloody delicious -- really keen to hear how this comes out' date=' as I'd love to make a Saison in the Craft fermenter but have too many recipes to choose from...[/quote']

Thanks mate, I am hoping it turns out tasty, will be sure to let you know!

I'm not too sure about the dark crystal in this recipe, only put a little bit of it in because the pils malt I used is so, so pale by itself. Last saison I did used a different pils, wheat, munich and caramunich ... haven't had a sample yet since it's still carbonating in the bottle. That one ended up a fair bit stronger though at 7 - 8% ABV.

I'm going to have to get some saison yeast and put down a rosella saison. Heaps of calyxes in my garden at the moment.

That would work really well I reckon. cool

It should look great in a glass too. Even more so with some of your clever camera work Ben! wink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

G'day fellas,

Thought I'd get the year off to a good start so yesterday I put down an IPA and today a Hefeweizen.

With the IPA I used the TCS IPA can a can of Amber Malt Extract, 500g LDM with Nottingham Yeast and the kit yeast as well was thinking of dry hopping with some Amarillo.

With the hefeweizen I used the TCS Wheat Beer can a can of Wheat Malt Extract and the Safbrew wb 06 yeast.

All the best for the New Year

Cheers

Brewday tomorrow. happy

I've been wanting to put this brew down for about a month now, & finally everything aligned to do so. It's based on a beer recipe I found & brewed about 2 years ago. That recipe used Mt. Hood hops, whereas this recipe will be using the 'Summer' hop. The recipe from 2 years ago was the first time I had ever used the First Wort Hopping technique. It turned out really well, & I have followed the exact hop schedule with this recipe subbing the Summer hop in place of the Mt. Hood.

The reason I chose the Summer hop for a re-visit of this recipe is that it has almost identical alpha & co-humulone numbers to that of the Mt. Hood. ninja

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Perle Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

Summer (5.5%AA) 25gms @ FWH

Summer 25gms @ 60mins

Summer 25gms @ Flameout (30min post boil steep)

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

If I end up with a nice easy drinking, light apricot-like flavoured beer I'll be most pleased. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day Brewers, Started a brew today a simple summer sipper. smile

OS Real Ale 1.7 Kg

Briess golden light liquid malt 1.2 Kg

Crystal 60 (hot steep 30 minute)

16g Chinook and 16g of Citra 10 minute boil

made up to 23 litres

pitched re hydrated US-05 at 22°C

and will ferment at 18°C

on day5 dry hop with 16g chinook and 16g of citra

It will get about 3 weeks in the fermenter and will put a Fruit Salad on in the next couple of days, I need to fill a few bottles. wink

Cheers.

I have put 2 brews on in the last few days, they are:

Dark Ale -

1 can Coopers dark ale

1.5 kg dark LME

500 g dark DME

500 g dextrose

150 g chocolate malt

dry hopped 24 g Pride of Ringwood

Nottingham yeast plus kit yeast

Pale Ale -

1 can Coopers pale ale

1.5 kg light LME

500 g light DME

300g dextrose

150 g crystal malt

24 g cascade steeped for 15 mins

dry hopped 12 g Cascade

S04 yeast plus kit yeast

Both OG's sat around 1060 and have both been fermenting at approx. 24 degrees.

SG reading are both sitting around 1010 after roughly 72 hours in the fermenter.

Tasted both samples and so far so good.

Cheers :)

You have been a busy boy, Looney Tunes Duck Soup.

I'm particularly interested in hearing of your impression of the first brew you listed when it's ready for a drink. I've only used POR as a bittering hop, so it'll be great to hear feedback about using it as a dry hop addition.

All the best and may your glass be never empty.

Phil

You have been a busy boy' date=' Looney Tunes Duck Soup.

I'm particularly interested in hearing of your impression of the first brew you listed when it's ready for a drink. I've only used POR as a bittering hop, so it'll be great to hear feedback about using it as a dry hop addition.

All the best and may your glass be never empty.

Phil[/quote']

Haha, very busy. I will let you know how it turns out, I have never dry hopped with PORW either, but am aiming to get some oak/cedar aroma from it without making the brew too much more bitter. Not sure how well it will turn out, but I guess I will find out soon enough. lol

Thanks Phil, keep you posted.

That's all folks!

G'day Brewers, got this one going yesterday and yes this is my most brewed APA.

IS APA 1.7 Kg

Briess Golden light liquid malt 1.2 Kg

Crystal malt grain 250g (hot Steep) 30 minutes

Amarillo 26g and Cascade 26g 10 minute boil

made up to 21 litres, fermented at 18C

US-05 re-hydrated

Dry hop day 5 Amarillo 16g and Cascade 16g

Amarillo and Cascade work so well together for me. wink

Brew fridge now full and got a Ginger Beer trial on today, showing good potential. smile

Cheers.

ok here goes,

feel just like the pleb I am in this company and am about to throw a bastedisation of the APA for everyone to comment on. this is going down on Friday because its more or less what I have.

1 Coopers APA can

1.5KG LDM

500g dextrose

300G Crystal malt

20g cascade

35g nelson sauvin

recultured coopers yeast (as per pale ale)

Bring 4l of water to the boil with 1kg of LDM

20g cascade at 30min

15g nelson at 5 min

300g crystal at 1 min

30g nelson at flame out

mix APA can and dex with 500g of LDM in 2l of boiled water and swirl to dissolve the strain the cooled mixture into the fv and fill to 23ladd reactivated yeast.

brew at 22c.

my take on a Australian/American APA but closer to a IPA going by the spreadsheet, I would love some feedback on this one as it going down Friday night before I bugger off for a weeks fishing :)

the only thing im thinking I will change at the moment is the 30g nelson at flame out for 15g at flame out and 15g dry hopped on day 4-5-6? or the last 500g od LDM at the end just leaving it out?

regards.

Hi newb.

There is only one point that concerns me with the recipe from how you have listed it.

"300g crystal at 1 min".

Crystal grains need to be steeped in a minimum of 3 times their weight in approx. 65-70°C water for about 30mins. Then as a precaution, most brewers will give the liquid obtained from that steep, a short boil to kill off any nasties that may be present or that survived the steeping temperature.

Good luck with the brew & the fishing. wink

Lusty.

There have been some Coopers recipes that called for boiling the grains for a minute or so. I recall PB2 saying that you won't extract tannins in so short a timeframe.

But I would probably steep them for 30 minutes.

Tomorrow's brew...

Recipe: Brew 66

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 18.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 66.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

5.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

1.45 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)

18.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %]

48.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

30.00 g Vic Secret [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

100.00 g Vic Secret [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slight adjust to the hopping, saving the Cascade for something else. Just bottled an IPA with 100g Vic Secret dry hop - YUM!!!!

There have been some Coopers recipes that called for boiling the grains for a minute or so. I recall PB2 saying that you won't extract tannins in so short a timeframe.

Point taken.

I was mainly concerned with the variety of methods used by individuals to cool the boil wort down from this point on. The timeframe this is held above approx. 80°C (to me at least) becomes the area where problems might occur for less experienced brewers.

Better to avoid that scenario than chance it I feel. wink

Just my 2 cents on that one.

Ben 10: I really like your hop schedule in that recipe Ben! cool I just wasn't a fan of Columbus @ the bittering end of the recipes I used it for. Apparently though' date=' it is widely accepted as a very good hop for bittering in IPA's.

So what do I know?! [img']surprised[/img]

What yeast are you using? unsure

I've been quite impressed with 'Warrior' for bittering in a string of hoppy crafted beers I've used it in of late.

Good luck with the brew Ben.

Lusty.

Archived