Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

All good.

I find IBU predictions in Beersmith - the way I use it - tends to fit what I end up drinking.

All good too. smile

Additions towards the end of the boil have a lot less impact on bitterness on the palate so it's no biggy' date=' & I apologise if I've made it sound that way. That said, in the calculation of IBU numbers it is relevant.

My overall point is there is a big difference in bitterness achieved from a 60-90 minute addition point & that of an addition added late in the boil if aimed at producing perceived bitterness at the glass. That's all. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone can supply a reason why any hop addition added later into a boil can possibly add more bitterness/IBU than an addition added earlier into that same boil' date=' then I'd by happy to read how that is possible, & learn from it.

[/quote']

I have to agree with you there, it makes no logical sense to me. Except that perhaps, in that instance it gave more IBUs than the earlier additions because it had a 20 min steep added (in Beersmith), whereas the earlier additions didn't have this. Obviously in practice they did, but it wasn't stipulated in Beersmith. I wonder if it would change their IBU numbers if a 20 min steep was added to all hop additions?

I can only assume Beersmith is treating the last addition as a separate process i.e. Using a separate pot for the 1 minute boil and steep.

Ben10, I don't doubt your results but I am more than happy to take beer off your hands if you want to get rid of them tongue

Ben10' date=' I don't doubt your results but I am more than happy to take beer off your hands if you want to get rid of them [img']tongue[/img]

email me.

Back to work tomorrow, I'll endeavour to email Brad Smith and ask.

That didn't go well sideways

My fopar, I started out with a whirpool addition, but decided to change to a 1 minute addition as per my English Bitters. When I changed this in Beersmith my IBUs dropped by almost 5 points. So I was messing around with the software re a 1 minute boil and a steep to see what achieved the same IBU. I also tried to see if I could determine the effect of the whirpool steep on the rest of the hop additions using the software, but to no avail.

Anyway I copied and pasted the recipe during this experimentation.

Cheers

Scottie

My passion has been reignited so another brew day this weekend w00t

This one will be a SMASH beer:

Hulk Smash II

5kg Marris Otter

5g - Calcium Sulfate

3g - Calcium Chloride

10g Citra @ 60 minutes

15g Citra @ 5 minutes

20g Citra @ Whirlpool

20g Citra - Dry Hop

Yeast - US-05

OG - 1055

IBU - 34 (no-chill adjusted)

23 Litres

Mash Schedule

55C - 5 minutes

64C - 25 minutes

68C - 25 minutes

72C - 10 minutes

78C - 10 minutes

I use Brewmate and if you tick the "no-chill" box then it calculates the IBUs on post boil hop additions. I think it may add 20 minutes to each addition for the calc.

I don't think it is totally correct but the main thing is consistency. If I know what 35 IBUs tastes like in an APA with this method then I can do it again on another beer. It doesn't really matter whether the IBUs are 30 or 40.

Yeah I just downloaded the update and it's in there now. It bumped up the IBUs in my SNPA clone recipe by about 8, up to 45. The addition in question is a flame out addition of 60g Cascade. The beer itself doesn't seem to present like this in the glass though so I'm not really taking too much notice of it when I do this recipe next time.

Normally I don't do flame out additions, but that recipe calls for it, and it turns out pretty much bang on to the original beer. I just do bittering and some late boil hops, and then dry hop if I feel like it. I've not encountered any issues no-chilling and not adjusting recipes for it either. unsure

Some of us aren't hop monsters like you though Ben. tonguelol

I'm currently drinking a pale I brewed last year, which had a bittering addition, a 30 min addition plus 30g Chinook thrown in at 5 minutes left. No dry hops in that particular batch, although I do normally dry hop my pales. For my tastes though it's great and rather enjoying it. smile

Hulk Smash II

5kg Marris Otter

10g Citra @ 60 minutes

15g Citra @ 5 minutes

20g Citra @ Whirlpool

20g Citra - Dry Hop

Yeast - US-05

OG - 1055

23 Litres

Mash Schedule

55C - 5 minutes

64C - 25 minutes

68C - 25 minutes

72C - 10 minutes

78C - 10 minutes

Looks like a little Gypsum in the mash would go a long way to accentuate all that nice Citra' date=' don't you think?[img']whistling[/img]

Hulk Smash II

5kg Marris Otter

10g Citra @ 60 minutes

15g Citra @ 5 minutes

20g Citra @ Whirlpool

20g Citra - Dry Hop

Yeast - US-05

OG - 1055

23 Litres

Mash Schedule

55C - 5 minutes

64C - 25 minutes

68C - 25 minutes

72C - 10 minutes

78C - 10 minutes

Looks like a little Gypsum in the mash would go a long way to accentuate all that nice Citra' date=' don't you think?[img']whistling[/img]

Possibly. I am going to the LHBS on Saturday so I have a few days to sort out my water treatment. I'm sure I will be doing it at the last minute wink

My first brew day in about 2 or 3 months is coming up tomorrow and I'll be brewing the recipe I mentioned in the Northern Brewer thread.

World Cup 15 Pale Ale

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 83.3 %

0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 2 10.4 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 6.2 %

26.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 31.3 IBUs

25.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 4.2 IBUs

US-05 Yeast

25/26L batch.

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 % (4.9% bottled)

Bitterness: 35.4 IBUs

Est Color: 17.6 EBC

I have absolutely no idea whether this will turn out good or not, but it is an experimental brew to try the Northern Brewer hops and see what they bring to the beer. If it's crap they can be slated for bittering use.

Cheers

Kelsey

Munich' date=' Magnum & Northern Brewer - likely Germany

Marris Otter - England

Is this the Football World Cup beer or Cricket World Cup beer?[/quote']

Traditionally the English & the Germans don't get along all that well, particularly when it comes to soccer.

Here's hoping for an alter-ego connection here when it comes to this beer!

I'll look forward to your assessment of the Northern Brewer late hop addition down the track Kelsey. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived