Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

G'day all

Thought I would make use of the Real Ale can I've had in the cupboard for a while so I put this down.

1.7kg Real ale can

1kg BE2

500G LDM

250g Carared

25g Nelson Sauvin for 20 min

25g Chinook for 10 min

Nottingham Yeast

Got 25g of galaxy and 25g Amarillo I will dry hop with not sure which one maybe both.

Cheers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking to get another split brew day done in the next day or 3 -- will be cubing both of these since the FV is booked out for the next 3 weeks. As always, open to comments/feedback!

CanEhdian PEhle Ehle - aka "The Last Forum Recipe Was OK, So Do Another One"

(a Craft variation of Chad's OS Draught Pale Ale)

1/2 Coopers Draught can

400g LDM

100g Crystal Med

200g Dex

2L boil

This is an experiment based on something I read recently regarding HUUUUGE hop additions very late in the boil to achieve total bitterness (Lusty maybe?). It's a bit wasteful, and not very efficient, but reportedly a good way to get big hop flavour/aroma like some of the commercial brews.

Cascade 60g @ 5m

Cascade 20g @ dry-hop (approx day 4)

1/2 x US-05 yeast

Batch size: 10.5L

Temps: 18-20°

Calc OG/FG: 1.048 / 1.010

Calc EBC: 15.5

Calc IBU: 44.1

Calc ABV: 5.3% (bottled)

Irish Ale

(a Craft variation of the Coopers recipe)

1/2 Coopers Draught Can

200g Crystal Med

500g BE1

150g Golden Syrup

Kit yeast

Batch size: 10.5L

Temps: 18-20°

Calc OG/FG: 1.050 / 1.010

Calc EBC: 19.7

Calc IBU: 23.7

Calc ABV: 5.6% (bottled)

This is an experiment based on something I read recently regarding HUUUUGE hop additions very late in the boil to achieve total bitterness (Lusty maybe?). It's a bit wasteful' date=' and not very efficient, but reportedly a good way to get big hop flavour/aroma like some of the commercial brews.[/size']

SNPA has a large flameout addition of Cascade.

All my brews have a bittering addition, a flameout addition and maybe a dry hop.

That is it. Not wasteful, superb.

Brew day!!

Canadian PEhle EhL!!biggrin

2.4 Kg DME

.3 Kg Crystal 60L

.2 Kg dex

25g Perle 4.5% (40mins)

10g Magnum 13% (40mins)

25g Cascade 8% (10mins)

40g Cascade (0mins)

21L

US-05 18C

IBU 33.5

OG 1.049

Thanks Gibbo for the great recipe idea!wink Let us know how yours turns out.

All my brews have a bittering addition' date=' a flameout addition and maybe a dry hop.[/quote']

G'day Ben 10, you don't find that a 10 or 15 minute boil addition adds anything meaningful? Or do you no-chill and find that anything prior to flameout is pretty much lost anyway?

Cheers,

John

CanEhdian PEhle Ehle - aka "The Last Forum Recipe Was OK' date=' So Do Another One"

(a Craft variation of Chad's OS Draught Pale Ale)

Irish Ale

(a Craft variation of the Coopers recipe)

Had some spare time after an Australia Day gathering so I managed to get these into cubes. That should give me 6 weeks worth of brewing without having to go near a gas burner.

All my brews have a bittering addition' date=' a flameout addition and maybe a dry hop.

That is it. Not wasteful, superb.[/quote']

It does make for a much simpler hopping schedule, and going on the smell of the wort going into the cube, it should be a fairly tasty brew.

Thanks Gibbo for the great recipe idea!wink Let us know how yours turns out.

Haha' date=' you're welcome, but I should be thanking you for the original recipe -- so thanks Chad! I'm actually pretty excited to taste this one when it finally gets a turn in the fermenter. Might have to find some non-conventional FVs that will allow me to fit two batches in the fermenting fridge just so I can get to it sooner. Hmmmm... [img']cool[/img]

Have a saison slowly chilling in my 10 litre jerry can after a pretty smooth brew day. Did a partial mash this time to use up some leftover grain.

Grain

1.25 kg Heidelberg pilsner malt

25g Simpsons 240 EBC crystal malt

5g JWM chocolate malt

500g LDM

Hops

15g Hallertauer Pacifica FWH

15g Hallertauer Pacifica @ flameout (15 minute steep)

A few firsts for this one:

• First time I've tried first wort hopping - I had the bittering hops in the kettle waiting for my first runnings. Will be interesting to see how the hop flavour and bitterness comes out.
  • First time I have siphoned into a cube to no-chill - should've bought 1.5 metres of silicon tubing I think, 1 metre is only just long enough. The jerry can I have is from The Brew Shop, and is great, really sturdy and the lid seals well. It was great cutting the cooling step out from a brew day!
  • First time I will be reusing rinsed yeast - has been safely in the fridge for almost a week now, will pitch tomorrow probably. Just realized I should have bought a stick-on-thermometer for my cube so I know when it's at pitching temp.

Cheers,

John

Quick follow-up to yesterday's post ... filled my Craft fermenter from the cube and pitched my yeast tonight. I poured the wort through a sanitized strainer to get some air into it. Looks like I under-estimated my boiloff for this batch since I only got 9.5 litres in the fermenter instead of my planned 10 litres. I did try to get a pretty vigorous boil going since I was using whole hops in a hop sack. I decanted most of the beer from my yeast, swirled the rest up vigorously, let it come up to room temperature and then pitched.

Have to say I like no-chill, so easy and convenient. There's plenty of hop flavour and aroma too! With all the Hallertauer Pacifica at flameout, tasting the OG sample I think I have made marmalade beer biggrin ... see how it turns out.

Have to say I like no-chill' date=' so easy and convenient.[/quote']

Especially with the craft fermenter, like I found out when I made V2 of my faux-lager:

I love cube brew days -- 30 mins from start to finish' date=' and 15 minutes of that was giving the fridge a quick clean.[/quote']

I use a similar hop schedule to Ben in most of my pale beers. I usually do a FWH addition with a low AA% hop, although I'll leave it out if I don't have a suitable hop for it, a bittering addition, and a 5 or 10 min addition near the end of the boil. Depending on the beer I'll also dry hop them as well. Seems to work pretty well for my tastes and keeps it simple cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Haha Gibbo, a 30 minute brew day would be great - mine still took about 6 times that including prep and cleanup, although the process is half the fun I guess happy

The good (and possibly bad) thing about a longer brew day is you get to have a few more beers! innocent

Thanks for the info on your hop schedules Ben & Kelsey. I will have to slowly experiment over time to figure out what different additions contribute. The best way would be to try some kind of planned comparison experiment, but that sounds like a lot of work!

Hey guys, just put a couple of brews into my 2 fermenters.

These are the 2 recipes I used brewed to 23 L.

1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde

1.5kg light LME

500g light DME

200g light Crystal grain

15g Citra - Boiled 20 mins

25g Citra - Steeped

Nottingham + kit yeast

Possible dry hop

1 can Coopers Real Ale

1.5kg amber LME

150g light Crystal grain

300g dextrose

100g maltodextrin

36g Goldings - Steeped

US-05 + kit yeast

Hadn't used Citra before, stunk the house out. Good stuff! cool. Hope they turn out to be nice beers.

Cheers everyone.

Summer Cider

Blackrock Cider can

1.5 l Mango Pulp

1.1 kg sugar

SN9 yeast

OG 1052

Mango Pale Ale

Coopers APA can

250g Med Crystal

500g dex

1kg DME

750 mL Mango Pulp

50 cascade @ flameout

Lallemand Abbaye yeast...

Hi all,

New to the site and brewing but I'm getting keen!

Just bottled a Pacific Ale clone (my favorite beer) as per Earle's recipe from another forum.

1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %

1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %

10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU

15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU

20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

And I just put in the fermentor a Pale Ale using some Cascade and Vic Secret

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1kg BE2

500g LDM

US-05 Yeast

20g Cascade 10mins

10g Cascade/10g Vic Secret 5mins

10g Cascade/10g Vic Secret 0mins

10g Cascade/10g Vic Secret Dry Hop (might up this yet)

Hopefully turns out nice.

Hi all' date='

New to the site and brewing but I'm getting keen!

Hopefully turns out nice.

[/quote']

Hi and welcome.

My last IPA I threw in 100g Vic Secret dry hop... just sayin'

My last IPA I threw in 100g Vic Secret dry hop... just sayin'

My "butter zone" for dry-hopping at the moment seems to be around the 2-3g/L mark (though my spin on Lusty's Black IPA is up around the 5-6g/L mark).

Archived