Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

The Mash is ...... Tell me can you feel it.

This one is Little Bos Pale Ale (AKA Lusty's Nightmare)

2.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

0.75 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

0.50 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC)

0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC)

15.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

15.00 g Citra [12.00%] - Boil 3.0 min

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min

American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97)

Will Dry Hop with 20g Cascade and maybe 10g Nelson

Mashed at 69 degrees

60 minute 27 litre Boil

ABV = 4.1%

IBU = 43

EBC = 14

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Brownsworthy

It will be very tasty that one. But somewhere in the dark recesses where I used to have a brain, I seem to recall Hairy (?), Lusty (?) and B10 (?) among others suggest that with galaxy, less is more. Have you considered adding, say, only 15 g for the dry hop?

Cheers

G'day Brownsworthy

It will be very tasty that one. But somewhere in the dark recesses where I used to have a brain' date=' I seem to recall Hairy (?), Lusty (?) and B10 (?) among others suggest that with galaxy, less is more. Have you considered adding, say, only 15 g for the dry hop?

Cheers[/quote']

That was most likely Hairy because he is a soft ck.

But the 25-30g dry hop Brownsworthy is considering will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback fellas,

I'm starting to get a bit more adventurous and pretty much grabbed the first three hops from the freezer and went with them I guess it's all learning either way.

I think I might just throw the lot of the galaxy in at least it'll be a good guage of how much to use in the future.

Thanks again fellaswink

That was most likely Hairy because he is a soft ck.

But the 25-30g dry hop Brownsworthy is considering will be fine.

Don't worry' date=' Hairy, you'll find a lot of us girls like soft caik. Especially, mudcaik. Mmmmmmm.

I know you're just going to laugh and think I'm a dizzy blonde, but I stand corrected by this current thread on the other forum about dry hopping galaxy.

Brew day today! smile

Waste Not Want Not Pale Ale

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Pearl Malt grain 500gms

Vienna Malt grain 500gms

CaraMunich II grain 300gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

Dextrose 150gms

Warrior 10gms @ 60mins

Chinook 15gms @ 10mins

Amarillo 20gms @ 5mins

Mix of Galaxy, Cascade, Chinook & Styrian Golding @ flameout.

No dry hop.

Re-hydrated US-05

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Can we start a thread called "Drink Day!! Watcha' go, eh!?"

Last night we had our friends-only Xmas gathering, and I have to say the home-brew was absolutely fantastic! I was a little worried because a week ago it was a little flat and had a bitter aftertaste.

Anyway we had James Squire Amber Ale drinkers & Little Creatures Bright Ale drinkers turn up, by the end of the night we were all happily getting stuck in to the home brew which was just awesome. It was easily as drinkable as their craft ales if not better.

What's even better is we were all walking sideways before the night was up, but today after I fished all the empties out of the pool we went through less then 1/2 of the batch...... Merry Xmas to Me :)

That was a stock standard Coopers APA, the only modification made was it sitting in the fermented for 15 days. Now I'm looking for an easy recipe to spice up the Coopers Larger that came with the starter kit! I don't know what a hop is so just something to give it a bit of a heads-start as I've heard it's not their best.

Hey DB

You are in luck on both counts.

For your OS Lager look at the link at the top of the page - http://store.coopers.com.au/midnight-mosaic-amber-ale.html.

BeerLust is a big wrap for the Mosaic hop and believes it will go well with the Lager kit.

To find out what home brews others are drinking and to share your own exploits/conquests go to the RDWHAHB -What are you drinking thread - https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12425/

Brew it here - Drink it there wink

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thanks! I'll post over there :-) I do have one question though, while this beer is really nice it is just very slightly too flat, I am pretty sure if I leave them for another 2 weeks they'll be perfect.

However can I make them just a bit more fizzy by not leaving it in the fermenter for 15 days? Say 7 (a couple extra to improve clarity etc...) but not quite 15 as I understand there is a lot less yeast for secondary fermentation?

I could be totally off the mark here, still learning :-) Just got my FV soaking in sanitiser for its second round. The minister for fun & finance actually insisted I put another batch on so I don't run out! My word...

Late brew day today.

I had a few things going on today, mowing lawns, kegging beer, rinsing yeast etc. & being it was pretty hot here in Adelaide today & I couldn't be bothered with a long grain based brew day that I had originally planned. So I bumped the Coopers DIY Midnight Mosaic brew forward a week.

I had to make a couple of small alterations given the stock I currently have on hand. Subbed the Midnight Wheat Malt grain for Chocolate Malt grain, & subbed the Amarillo addition for Summer hops.

The AUS-based Summer hop is something I plan to do a few brews with in the hope it can produce some similar traits to Amarillo. It has a lowish Alpha level & a very good Co-Humulone level for use in bittering & First Wort Hopping that I plan to play around with in some up & coming brews.

I'm looking forward to sampling this brew & the brews I have planned for January. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

G'day to the man full of Lust

You're one of our learned-men-on-the-spot in regard to hops and (while I'd prefer to pick your nose, I'm guessing that's out of the question [see Note 1]) I'm going to pick your brain.

I thought I had a basic grasp on alpha and beta levels on hops, but you've mentioned several times about co-humulone levels. Would you mind giving a short explanation about how that affects bitterness/flavour/aroma/other in hop selection? I know for one, I'd be very interested.

Cheers and I hope Santa is good to you, even if you have been a bad boy this year. happy

Note 1. You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose. (Anon)

Hi P2, I hope you are well. smile

I don't concern myself with beta levels, as from my novice point of learning about hops, they have little significance in relation to my level of brewing. Co-humulone levels though, certainly have a noticeable bearing on your brewing. Co-humulone becomes particularly relevant when selecting bittering hops, or hops that are placed at a point in the boil where the type of bitterness it produces is a factor.

Since learning about co-humulone levels in hops, this rough guide has served me well, particularly when selecting hops for standard addition bittering purposes. happy

Co-humulone level:———–Type of bitterness:

teens - approx. 24% <———> Very Smooth - Smooth

25% - 30% <—————————-> Smooth - Firm

31% & higher <—————————-> Firm - Harsh

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

Recipe: Benny's Belgian Pale

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 11.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBUs

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.75 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)

10.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

40.00 g Saaz [3.03 %] - Boil 20.0 min

40.00 g Saaz [3.03 %] - Boil 10.0 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abbaye Yeast.

Crushed the grain, urn is full and ready for tomorrow.

Late brew day today.

I had a few things going on today' date=' mowing lawns, kegging beer, rinsing yeast etc. & being it was pretty hot here in Adelaide today & I couldn't be bothered with a long grain based brew day that I had originally planned. So I bumped the Coopers DIY Midnight Mosaic brew forward a week.

I had to make a couple of small alterations given the stock I currently have on hand. Subbed the Midnight Wheat Malt grain for Chocolate Malt grain, & subbed the Amarillo addition for Summer hops.

The AUS-based Summer hop is something I plan to do a few brews with in the hope it can produce some similar traits to Amarillo. It has a lowish Alpha level & a very good Co-Humulone level for use in bittering & First Wort Hopping that I plan to play around with in some up & coming brews.

I'm looking forward to sampling this brew & the brews I have planned for January. [img']cool[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Good luck mate, I bet they will be some tasty brews. I really enjoyed the Bridge Road Summer IPA I tried a couple of months back. Very refreshing and not too much overpowering resin flavour.

Recipe: Hop2iT V

Style: American IPA

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 15.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 61.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

2.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)

2.30 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

1.40 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

100.00 g Vic Secret [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

Pacific Ale yeast

Maybe a Vic Secret Dry hop too?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's better; now we're back to the B10 we all know and love. When I saw your previous recipe with an SG of 1.051, I thought you had suffered heat stroke.

This one looks great and you've obviously been heavily influenced by Victoria's Secrets christmas catalogue.I hope you're better half takes the hint and buys you something risque and flimsy for Thusrday. Don't forget to post some pics.

All the best of cool wishes to all the FNQ tribe. Phillus

Thanks Phil, all the best to you too.

The Belgian is 1051 because I want to re use the yeast, I like to start a bit lower with the first go.

I may change the hops for the second one yet.

Thinking I'll increase the bitterness.... probably should leave it though.

Brew day was a while ago (got it into bottles over the weekend), but only got around to updating this thread now. First time using a Coopers OS Lager, and I'm really not sure what the resulting style is -- the Kit designer spreadsheet says it's along the lines of a Light Aussie Lager, but I originally based it off the Coopers recipe, deciding to switch out the BE1 and change the brew size to suit my setup.

This was also the maiden flight of my temp-control setup after losing the last batch to a heat wave.

Since I'm using the Craft fermenter, I'm making a 21L batch in two halves so I can experiment with each half separately...

Lawnmower Lager V2 (Craft version, batch 1) - aka "Spoils to the Victa"

1/2 x Coopers OS Lager can

250g LDM

7g Galaxy (dry-hop @ day 4)

Batch Size (fermenter): 10.5L

OG: 1.032

FG: 1.008

Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 23.2 IBUs

ABV: Approx 3.8%

Fermented for 7 days @ ~22° C

The taste- and smell-tests were pretty positive as it was going into the bottles (nice hit of Galaxy!), so I'm hoping a few weeks in the bottle will only make it better. Since the temps have been a bit crazy on Brisbane's northside lately, I've had to use the fermenting fridge for secondary fermentation to keep the flavour nice and clean -- mysteriously, the little fridge fits not only the Craft FV perfectly, but exactly one batch of bottles perfectly too:

V8Stcjj.jpg

Planning on doing a hop infusion with the second half so I can get an idea of the difference between dry-hopping and using "hop tea" (if there is one).

G'day. I'm sure a few years back the Goodies did "The Funky Gibbo(n)". OK, maybe it was closer to 40 years back.

Maybe a good way to compare would be to keep the hops the same (7 g of galaxy), and try something like this:

1. Bring 2 litres of water to the boil

2. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of the Coopers lager can and stir to dissolve ensuring the mix doesn't stick to the bottom and burn

3. Add the 7g of galaxy to the boiling water and set a timer for 10 mins, but stir every 2 minutes to avoid any burning still.

4. Take of the heat and leave for 5 mins

5. Cool in a sink of cold tap water. Change the sink cold water once after 5 or 10 mins and this should bring the liquid down to pretty close to room temp.

6. Strain into FV, and complete as you normally would.

This should give you more of an emphasis on hop flavour, instead of hop aroma only.

The other guys/girls might have better suggestions, but I like the idea of changing only one thing at a time so you get a good idea of isolating cause and effect.

Keep dancing, Gibbo. Merry Xmas.

Hi Tonny.

I for one will be very interested in how both of these brews turn out.

I've been wanting to try Rakau for sometime' date=' but haven't got around to ordering any yet.

I remember taking an interest in your Lagunita IPA clone recipe back a few months ago, so nice to see you got this one going & into a fermenter.

I'll look forward to reading your tasting notes down the track. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi guys

Just opened the first ones of my Lagunitas clone.

It turned into a great tasting IPA (could be a little more hoppy for me)

I brought some along to a xmas party yesterday and it was very well appreciated under the IPA lovers. Their comments were : I would pay for this, better then you can buy in the shop, can you make some for me......

Not sure if it is exactly like the original, but still very pleased with my first IPA.

As for the New Zealand Hop pale Ale (Rakau, Motueka and Riwaka)

This one is a quit fruity (mainly peach) Pale Ale, which is excellent on a hot day.

It has a beautiful aroma coming out of the glass after pouring and one which won't last very long in my cupboard!!!!biggrin

Very good combination of hops for a summer pale ale IMO.

Cheers,

Tonny

It's brew day again! This my 2nd brew, the 1st is going down an absolute treat (a stock-standard Coopers APA). Even had the father-in-law ask for a second one tonight, I'm really chuffed by how much people like them.

This one is the Coopers Larger that came with the kit when I ordered it. I don't think I'll like it anywhere near as much as the APA but I didn't want to throw it out. I know almost nothing about brewing so just followed the instructions exactly.

The only issue I had, same as last, was it was too hot (near 30 degree's) so I added some large 1L+ ice-blocks at the end to get it down to 22deg, which I guess is fine but I wonder how the yeast react being sprinkled over the ice?

I also ordered the beer of the month! This will be my first experience of hops & other technical wizardry.

Just doing a short boil right now for the IPA Hop Slam (UK).

I tweaked the recipe and used 1.5 kg of Light Dry Malt and a 10 min boil of 25g of the Brambling Cross.

Yeast is rehydrating.

In a few mins this will be in the fermentation fridge.

Lawnmower Lager V2 (Craft version' date=' batch 1)[/u'] - aka "Spoils to the Victa"

1/2 x Coopers OS Lager can

250g LDM

Planning on doing a hop infusion with the second half so I can get an idea of the difference between dry-hopping and using "hop tea" (if there is one).

Put the second batch of this down today with a hop tea/infusion. I'm guessing the infusion will mute the hops aroma a little and emphasise more of the hops flavour, as I didn't get anywhere near as much of the Galaxy smell as it was going into the FV.

Also must have had a touch more wort in the cube as the OG came out at 1035 instead of 1032 from the first batch.

Late edit: Also, I love cube brew days -- 30 mins from start to finish, and 15 minutes of that was giving the fridge a quick clean.

Archived