Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Not sure yet.

after a day with the family down south cruzin to a bakery and a kick of the footy with the boy, I stopped on the way back and scored 4 beers from the Smiling Samoyed Brewery (ive been keen to try) 2 IPAs and Two Pales,(12 paws) anyone been/tried?

Anyway, ive been playing with the idea of a half arsed IPA before I throw down the next stout as FV 2 doesn't have the 30L capacity I need for the stout.

Either Coopers APA can 1.7kg or Black Rock east India PA can 1.5kg.

Black Rock Amber 1.7kg

Either Dex or LDM 1kg (leaning towards the dex)

500g Crystal

45g Cascade

50g Galaxy

Coopers Re Activated Yeast (PA)

To go something like this.

Steep Grain in 2L Boiled Water for 30 mins

Add 3L

5l Boil

Galaxy 20g @ 40

Cascade 15g @ 20

Galaxy 15g @ 10

Cascade 15g @ 5

Dissolve Kit and Dex/LDM in 2L of boiled water by swirling in FV

Top up to 25l and add CCA Yeast

Brew at 20-22 degrees

Cascade 15g Dry Hop day 5

Galaxy 15G Dry hop day 5.

Thoughts?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm at home and have emptied the brew fridge, it's time to get back on the horse. The man full of lust has inspired me to get out of my hop comfort zone (and since I can't find or get to all the equipment at the moment, I've decided a quick BIAB is the go). I dreamed up this quick and easy recipe:

Recipe: BIAB Tropical Ale

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 35.98 l

Post Boil Volume: 27.91 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.02 l

Bottling Volume: 21.31 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 66.7 %

1.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 16.7 %

0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 12.5 %

0.25 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4 4.2 %

20.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 21.4 IBUs

20.00 g Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.0 IBUs

20.00 g Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 2.8 IBUs

20.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 m Hop 8 4.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -

Standard BIAB, mash @ 67C, sparge at 76C, 90 min boil.

As they say in the classics, "let's suck it and see".

Hi guys.

Lots of nice recipes posted on the Friday & Saturday this week. Lots of nice hop varieties & mixes. cool

I'll be interested in your assessment of the Rakau hops P2, once your beer is drinkable. I've had it tagged as one I'd like to use for sometime now, but haven't as yet, mainly due to it not being available here in SA (to the best of my knowledge). I generally only buy my hops in 100gm bags so that I use them up while they're fresh.

On occasion I will buy from online vendors, but usually only when I can't obtain these products from my local suppliers. Some Rakau, Falconer's Flight, & after some recent conversations & comments by Brownsworthy about Murray's FRED IPA, trying some Zythos in a brew aimed at something like that is probably on the cards.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Brew day, yesterday!!

One Armed & Bitterbiggrin British Pale Ale

4.5Kg ESB Malt

.9Kg Munich malt

.5Kg Crystal 80L

.15Kg Chocolate malt

13g Nugget (14.5%) 50mins

30g Fuggles (5.3%) 20mins

25g Styrian Goldings (4.8%) 0mins

25g S. Goldings Dry hop

40L (50% RO in the mash to reduce pH)

S-04

14g gypsum (added to mash) Mash pH 5.0 (a little low, but will adjust next time)

IBU: 26ish OG: 1.045 Mashed @ 67C for 60mins NO-Chill adjusted

This is the fist brew that I have done some serious thinking about my water profile. I used the EZ water calculator spread sheet to help me come up with my calculations. My local water supply is medium hard with high temporary hardness (Alkalinity), ph around 8. This water makes great dark beers but anything on the pale side is not so good. By adding gypsum and the RO to the mash water I can lower the pH. The gypsum also drys the beer out somewhat and heightens the bitterness. The sweet spot for mash pH is 5.2 -5.5. I came in a little low at 5.0 pH but will have to play around with these additions to hit the mark.

I have used 5.2ph Stabilizer in the past in my mash (Lusty, I think you asked me about it's effect on my brew. Sorry I hadn't responded until nowinnocent). At the time I wasn't sure if it was of any benefit. Now after a lot more research and a nagging problem with my Pale ales since I stopped using the product I can see that the 5.2 pH Stabilizer was of some benefit. Having said that I think I am on a better path with using the Gypsum and other additive such as RO, Epsom salts, etc. to fine tune the mash water profile.

It has taken me a long time to get around to this subject of brewing water. I have always found it to be too confusing for my brain, but the problem of consistently crappy pale ale has forced my hand (brain) into looking into the matter. There is only four ingredients in beer but each one is so very complicated that it really does take years to fully understand even a fraction of eachsurprised.

If anyone is curious. This is what my local water profile is:

Starting Water (ppm):

Ca: 47

Mg: 18

Na: 8

Cl: 13

SO4: 20

CaCO3: 150

You can probably find info about yours from your local town works department.

I'd love to continue this topic of conversation with any of you that are interested.happy

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this brew to see how it turns out.

Recipe: Tropical Thunder

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 19.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 78.9 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 17.5 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 3.5 %

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 18.7 IBUs

30.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [5.00 %] - Steep Hop 5 4.3 IBUs

30.00 g Vic Secret [15.90 %] - Steep Hop 6 13.8 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threw down a quick pale to show a mate how easy it is.

Comment from him "really? that's it?"

Spirit of ANZAC Ale

(a Craft variation of the Coopers recipe)

Temps: 20-22°

Calc OG/FG: 1.037 / 1.008

Bottled Lusty's Black IPA on the weekend, so today was cube brew day -- decided to brew at 18-20° with the kit yeast instead (pitched at 24.4°), and measured the OG at 1.036, which is probably right since I may have been a bit under with the dex when I mixed up the cube. Final ABV should come out around the 4.2 ~ 4.3% mark.

Brew day! happy

Need to clear out a few hops, & wanted to try a bit more Aromatic Malt in this brew.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 350gms

Ale Malt grain 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 600gms

CaraMunich grain 200gms

Warrior 10gms @ 60mins

Motueka 15gms @ 30mins

Cascade 15gms @ 20mins

Galaxy 20gms @ flameout

Centennial 15gms @ flameout

Motueka 50gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

Hopefully throws something interesting.

Hey Chad, possibly time for No.4 of this thread? 70+ pages of comments are taking a little time to load etc. sleeping

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brew day! happy

Need to clear out a few hops' date=' & wanted to try a bit more Aromatic Malt in this brew.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 350gms

Ale Malt grain 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 600gms

CaraMunich grain 200gms

Warrior 10gms @ 60mins

Motueka 15gms @ 30mins

Cascade 15gms @ 20mins

Galaxy 20gms @ flameout

Centennial 15gms @ flameout

Motueka 50gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

Hopefully throws something interesting.

[/quote']

Looks good, Lusty! I don't know how it might turn, though. The only hops out of that long list that i have used are Cascade and Centennial. It's definitely on a sMasH recipe!biggrin

Hey Chad, possibly time for No.4 of this thread? 70+ pages of comments are taking a little time to load etc. sleeping

Really!? I hadn't noticed. Is there anyone else out there that thinks it's time to move on to version No.4? I hate it when we have to move on. We have been good little brewer on this version with keeping the photo clips to a minimum.smile

I'll be interested in your assessment of the Rakau hops P2' date=' once your beer is drinkable. I've had it tagged as one I'd like to use for sometime now, but haven't as yet, mainly due to it not being available here in SA (to the best of my knowledge). I generally only buy my hops in 100gm bags so that I use them up while they're fresh.[/quote']

G'day Bluster

I'll also be very keen to find out when its drinking properly. I have to admit when I put it in the fermenter on Sunday and had a taste, I thought it might end up as quite harsh. But a taste this morning has already softened a lot, so fingers crossed I'm really hopeful now.

I could have sworn I had some US-05 in the fridge to use, but as per usual I was wrong. Again! I know many people steer clear of it, but I had S-04 and decided to use it. Rehydrated the sachet in some of the second runnings (SG around 1.024 at 30C in a pyrex jug, then let it drop to ambient temp). After 2 hours it really showed lots of action (lots of froth etc), and pitched it into the tropical ale, and aerated for 30 mins. Overnight the brew fridge was set at 20C. After 18 hours, turned down the fridge to 18C for the ferment, and noticed how active S-04 really is. It probably goes close to rivalling Windor in activity with good aeration.

Since I knew many people wouldn't believe me, I took this short 20 sec video to show how busy it can be.

The SG this morning is 1.016 (after about 60 hours).

Time for me to think about making up or copying another recipe to put down on Friday or Saturday after I rack it to secondary.

Cheers

Philby

G'day P2.

Rehydrated the sachet in some of the second runnings (SG around 1.024 at 30C in a pyrex jug' date=' then let it drop to ambient temp). After 2 hours it really showed lots of action (lots of froth etc)[/quote']

I was just curious about this little "mini starter" of yours. These runnings, are they taken directly from the mash, cooled & yeast added, or are they taken from the mash, boiled then cooled before adding in the yeast?

Also how many millilitres/litres do you make up for this?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hoodles Blusty

I've done the same many times before using a 1 litre pyrex jug. This time it was a 250 ml one (but if you see one, you'll notice it holds close to 400 ml). I just poured in about 300 ml from the mash tap, covered with glad wrap, and let it cool down to about 30C before sprinkling the yeast. I think I'll go back to the 1 litre pyrex though using about 500-750 ml of 2nd runnings because the foam was really pushing off the glad wrap by the time I pitched this one.

Of course, as you would have already guessed, it gets a good dose of StarSan before I put in the wort. For me it's really easy and lazy, and I have yet to have any probs because it's come from the mash tun and hasn't been boiled etc.

Cheers mate.

Thanks Phil & Kelsey.

I've done both methods numerous times, but always as part of a full volume starter. Up until now, whenever I've re-hydrated dry yeast, it's only ever been in just tepid water.

I like the idea of using a small starter for the re-hydration process. Interestingly a lot of bakers add a smallish amount of sugar to their bakers yeast to help it get going prior to adding flour etc.

I think I might make this a mainstay in future when using dry yeasts. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Of course, I know you are absolutely right, OtBlot. And an E-Flask is on my to-do list. And there's an Australian guy who sells stir plates (made especially for brewing) for a really good price (IIRC it's about $99 and he's in SA). Unforunately, it keeps getting put down the priority list, since next on my list is now a chest freezer to make a kegerator and then all the kegging equipment.

The yeast equipment almost jumped up the list last weekend since I had to throw out all my stored yeast strains (whilst almost sobbing like a toddler) as they were just in the fridge and almost all had been untouched for well over 6 months due to me being called away. Yet, when it gets back to the top, I'll be freezing samples in a home yeast bank and it should only (??) cost a few hundred to get all the needed gear.

I hadn't prepared a starter for the weekend 'cos I just wanted to get back into it and make sure I still knew how to stuff up a brew day at least as well as I used to. rolleyes

Cheers Big Boy.

I like the idea of using a small starter for the re-hydration process. Interestingly a lot of bakers add a smallish amount of sugar to their bakers yeast to help it get going prior to adding flour etc.

Please bear in mind "best practise" is to rehydrate in water. Yeast needs time to wake up and for the cell wall to be ready to regulate what gets through. Apparently lots will die if rehydrated in wort.

I'm not sure why bakers do that' date=' but then some think sugar is needed for bread making. It doesn't actually make anything faster, and certainly does not make bread taste better.

there's an Australian guy who sells stir plates (made especially for brewing) for a really good price (IIRC it's about $99 and he's in SA).

Do you have a linky?

Recipe: Benny's Big Red

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 30.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.8 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:

------------

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 79.4 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 15.9 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 4.0 %

0.05 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 4 0.8 %

30.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 43.3 IBUs

63.00 g Santiam [6.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 12.5 IBUs

20.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [5.00 %] - Steep Hop 7 3.0 IBUs

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 5.9 IBUs

Yeast? Dunno. Some English something perhaps...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please bear in mind "best practise" is to rehydrate in water. Yeast needs time to wake up and for the cell wall to be ready to regulate what gets through. Apparently lots will die if rehydrated in wort.

The only way you will kill off a lot of yeast at this stage is if you rehydrate into a dense/high specific gravity wort. The 1.040 SG is widely regarded as a good medium for yeast to propagate in' date=' & in my case I'm looking to add it into a wort SG of around half that.

I'm not sure why bakers do that, but then some think sugar is needed for bread making. It doesn't actually make anything faster, and certainly does not make bread taste better.

In baking, as in brewing, making a starter does actually make things faster. In baking we're talking about a heavy pinch of sugar that when combined with some water, yeast & a little bit of flour will show signs of a light froth (bubbling) on the surface in around 30-40mins. Then when combined with the full volume recipe (of a relative size) it will reduce the rise time for the dough.

In brewing, adding an active starter into your full brew wort most often reduces lag time before active signs of fermentation are noticeable.

Nice looking recipe Ben, I look forward to seeing a pic of it in the glass sometime down the track! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I lied about the location; it seems he's in NSW. Anyway' date=' it's Digital Homebrew, and the linky is here.

Ah, I have seen that before.

My next brewing purchase for sure....

And top of the morning to you too Aunty

Gents

I have one of those little beauties. Seemed a lot easier to buy than build, they were fresh out of Erlenmeyer Flasks when I got mine though. I also haven't used mine for a while given that I fell off the yeast rinsing/storing saddle a while back. In fact I haven't used a liquid yeast for quite a while now. I am keen to try John's yeast propagating method but just can't summon the courage to saddle up.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

PS I really need a Brew Day

You could try boiling it in an erlenmeyer flask if you wanted to be safer. This is how I make my starters' date=' but I have to watch it like a hawk, otherwise it goes everywhere and I'm left with a bit of a mess on the stove! [img']lol[/img]

Spot on Kelsey

They are great for this but go off like a small Volcano.

Cheers

Scottie

Cheers

Scottie

Indeed! I usually have a spray bottle of water handy so I can just spray the foam back down into the flask to keep it under control. I use a gas stove (don't know how a flask would go on electric elements)' date=' I use a burner of the appropriate size to heat mostly the bottom rather than licking the sides. Turn it up full bore until it starts to boil then I have to have it almost off to prevent any volcanoes. It's a fine line. [img']lol[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers

Scottie

Indeed! I usually have a spray bottle of water handy so I can just spray the foam back down into the flask to keep it under control. I use a gas stove (don't know how a flask would go on electric elements)' date=' I use a burner of the appropriate size to heat mostly the bottom rather than licking the sides. Turn it up full bore until it starts to boil then I have to have it almost off to prevent any volcanoes. It's a fine line. [img']lol[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

I use mine on electric, we don't have a lot of gas on tap in Tassie (Ben10 will jump in here), on low heat as when I first used it.

Cheers

Scottie

The only way you will kill off a lot of yeast at this stage is if you rehydrate into a dense/high specific gravity wort. The 1.040 SG is widely regarded as a good medium for yeast to propagate in' date=' & in my case I'm looking to add it into a wort SG of around half that.[/quote']

Having read extensively on this matter and considering Fermentis and Lallemand recommend rehydrating in water for my above mentioned reason I will disagree,

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

http://www.danstaryeast.com/system/files/pdfs/tds-bry-97-american-west-coast-yeast-english.pdf?download=1

In baking' date=' as in brewing, making a starter does actually make things faster. In baking we're talking about a heavy pinch of sugar that when combined with some water, yeast & a little bit of flour will show signs of a light froth (bubbling) on the surface in around 30-40mins. Then when combined with the full volume recipe (of a relative size) it will reduce the rise time for the dough.

[/quote']

Having worked many years in a bakery and in various pizza bars I do not agree that it is any better.

Bread yeast will show signs of activity if placed in water with a little flour.

Archived