Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Ben 10: I really like your hop schedule in that recipe Ben! cool I just wasn't a fan of Columbus @ the bittering end of the recipes I used it for. Apparently though' date=' it is widely accepted as a very good hop for bittering in IPA's.

So what do I know?! [img']surprised[/img]

What yeast are you using? unsure

Using up some ends of bags in this one..

Pacific Ale or Coopers recultured.... unsure yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok here goes' date='

feel just like the pleb I am in this company and am about to throw a bastedisation of the APA for everyone to comment on. this is going down on Friday because its more or less what I have.

1 Coopers APA can

1.5KG LDM

500g dextrose

300G Crystal malt

20g cascade

35g nelson sauvin

recultured coopers yeast (as per pale ale)

Bring 4l of water to the boil with 1kg of LDM

20g cascade at 30min

15g nelson at 5 min

300g crystal at 1 min

30g nelson at flame out

mix APA can and dex with 500g of LDM in 2l of boiled water and swirl to dissolve the strain the cooled mixture into the fv and fill to 23ladd reactivated yeast.

brew at 22c.

my take on a Australian/American APA but closer to a IPA going by the spreadsheet, I would love some feedback on this one as it going down Friday night before I bugger off for a weeks fishing :)

the only thing im thinking I will change at the moment is the 30g nelson at flame out for 15g at flame out and 15g dry hopped on day 4-5-6? or the last 500g od LDM at the end just leaving it out?

regards.

ok this is how it went down.

Bring 4l of water to the boil with 1kg of LDM

20g cascade @ 30 min

5g nelson @ 30 min

300g crystal malt @ 1 min

20gnelson @ flame out

cover and sit for 30 min

mix APA can and dex in 2l of boiled water and swirl to dissolve the strain the cooled mixture into the fv and fill to 23ladd reactivated yeast.

dry hop with 15g nelson around day 6 -7

brew at 22c

this is happening now, boat packed and of yorks in the morning (great weather!)

[/quote']

Hi guys.

Kegged the ROTM Mosaic Amber Ale earlier today & wanted to get another brew down without a long brewday. So the Coopers DIY Celebration Ale recipe got the nod. I couldn't replicate it exactly due to what I had available, but have compensated accordingly to produce a beer pretty close to it. wink

Coopers O.S. Draught 1.7kg

Coopers Liquid Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 250gms

Dextrose 100gms

Medium Crystal 100gms

Sacrificed kit yeast as nutrient @ 15mins

Cascade 15gms @ 10mins

Centennial 25gms dry hop

Nelson Sauvin 25gms dry hop

Rinsed Wyeast 1272 (1 litre starter)

Brewed to 23 litres

Hold @ 20°C overnight then reduce & ferment @ 18°C.

Approximately an hour to get it all mixed & yeast pitched. I loved that! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Putting down a Saison Grisette today. I found the recipe here , and adjusted it to make 15 L and at a slightly lower ABV.

2 kg pilsner malt

1 kg wheat malt

90min mash at 64°C

2 hour boil

18g Hallertau @60

18g Hallertau @20

I'm using Belle Saison for the first time and was wondering if anyone could recommend a temperature that they liked for the yeast? Or should I just let it go and do what it wants?

Thanks,

Hi CanaKiwi.

I'm using Belle Saison for the first time and was wondering if anyone could recommend a temperature that they liked for the yeast? Or should I just let it go and do what it wants?

That depends. Are you a 'funky' sort of guy? unsure

When I brewed PB2's ROTM Saison using this yeast' date=' I pitched @ approx. 24°C & allowed the brew to ferment under good ambient conditions at the time with the brew reaching a peak of approx. 27°C.

The end beer was really, really good with plenty of funk! [img']biggrin[/img]

That yeast is a beast. My batch took off in about 4-5 hours after pitching! cool

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Morning all.

Yep, I did the same thing. Belle Saison yeast with a toucan and let it do what it wanted. Temperatures got to the high 20's in the shed and this one is tasting pretty good after only a month in the bottle! Like Ben10 said, funkier than James Brown.

For those of us who don't have good temperature contols, Saison is an ideal option for the summer months.

The current project is an "All Grain" ginger beer - based on an old style ginger beer plant to generate a wort concentrate, followed by fermentation with cider yeast (GV13) and conventional bottling. Initial SG = 1.058 which includes some alcohol from the ginger plant stage. Smelling good and was bubbling nicely within 3 hours.

Cheers,

Mike

Old Timey Porter

5.0Kg Pale Malt

1.25 Kg Flaked Barley

.5 Kg Crystal 60L

.5Kg Chocolate Malt

.05Kg Black Patent malt

28g Challenger 8.2% @ 40mins

28g Willamette 5.2 @20mins

40L

Notto

Whilfloc tablet

Mashed @ 68C for 60mins

IBU 26ish

OG 1.046

Brewhouse efficiency 85%

Boil time 75mins

Mash pH 5.5ish

No-Chill Adjusted

I just pitched the yeast dry and will ferment at 18C.

I'm looking forward to this one!smile

Last night I put down my take on Hop Hog.

1.7 kg Black Rock ultra light malt extract.

1.7kg Black Rock wheat extract

500g Light DME

200g carapils

50g caramunich 1

Hops

20g Centennial @ 45

25g Cascade @ 45

20g Amarillo @ 15

15 g Centennial @ 15

20g Cascade @ 15

20g Amarillo @ 5

20g Cascade @ 5

15 g Centennial @ 5

I will dry hop with 15g ea of Amarillo and Cascade.

US05

23 L

OG 1.054

Expected ABV 5.8 - 6.2%

Hoping to get through a tricky Craft brew day tomorrow or Friday -- since I've been brewing kits in two similar halves until now, I've decided to take a different approach and make two markedly different beers from the same pre-hopped extract. This is great from an experimentation point of view, but means I have to vary the recipes to economise on ingredients to either use up leftovers or avoid creating a heap more.

I plan on cubing 1 of these and putting 1 into the fermenter, and haven't really decided which yet (though the Black IPA has a nose ahead of the rest as I type this). Hoping to cube two more recipes on Sunday, but I'll make a separate post if/when that happens. Open to comments/feedback!

Little Black IPA - aka "Intro to Specialty Grains: Jump in the Deep End"

(a Craft variation of Lusty's Cascadian Dark Ale / Black IPA)

1/2 Coopers Real Ale can

400g LDM

200g Crystal Med

100g Carafa Sp II

50g Carafa Sp III

50g Choc Malt

200g Dex

2L boil

Galaxy 10g @ 20m

Nelson Sauvin 10g @ 10m

Cascade 10g @ 5m

Galaxy 10g @ dry-hop (approx day 4)

Nelson Sauvin 10g @ dry-hop (approx day 4)

Cascade 10g @ dry-hop (approx day 4)

1/2 x US-05 yeast (saving the other half for another recipe)

Batch size: 10.5L

Temps: 20-22°

Calc OG/FG: 1.053 / 1.012

Calc EBC: 72.5

Calc IBU: 64.8

Calc ABV: 5.8% (bottled)

Spirit of ANZAC Ale

(a Craft variation of the Coopers recipe, hoping to let this sit in the bottle for around two months before ANZAC Day)

1/2 Coopers Real Ale Can

30g Carafa I

200g LDM

150g Dex

Nelson Sauvin 15g @ steeped with grains

Kit yeast

Batch size: 10.5L

Temps: 20-22°

Calc OG/FG: 1.037 / 1.008

Calc EBC: 16.3

Calc IBU: 31.6

Calc ABV: 4.2% (bottled)

Little Black IPA - aka "Intro to Specialty Grains: Jump in the Deep End"

(a Craft variation of Lusty's Cascadian Dark Ale / Black IPA)

Spirit of ANZAC Ale

(a Craft variation of the Coopers recipe' date=' hoping to let this sit in the bottle for around two months before ANZAC Day)[/quote']

Managed to get these done today -- decided to cube the ANZAC and ferment Lusty's Black IPA first. 2 and a bit hours from start to finish, including setup, steeping, boiling and clean-up.

Got an OG of 1.053 for the IPA, which was bang-on the recipe. Pitched US-05 @ 24° and will ferment at 18-20°.

G'day Gibbo' date=' nice work getting them both on! How did your OG sample of the [b']Little Black IPA[/b] taste?

Cheers! There's a subtle roastyness up front (kinda reminded me of a weak instant coffee), followed by a fairly strong, lasting bitterness that wasn't too overpowering. I really hope that bitterness doesn't soften too much after a month or two in the bottle -- the thought of having a big dry-hop over the top of it makes me incredibly thirsty...

Hey all...put brew no. 002 down today. A variant on the how-to-brew Golden Ale recipe, with a slight change due to not being able to source Amarillo. LHBS suggested Galaxy , and Hairy suggested the following change to the hop schedule :

I would go for:

10g Galaxy @ 10 minutes

15g Galaxy @ Flame Out

25g Dry Hop

I think you will get too much bitterness if you used 25g Galaxy @ 10 minutes.

Note: I'm not a guru though.

everything went pretty smoothly' date=' pitched the Notto at 22 degrees and it's sitting happily in the brewfridge now at a comfortable 18 degrees. OG came in at 1040 and should end around 1008-1010 hopefully.

Reckon this one will be a real session beer, drinkable as all hell and "mainstream" enough that my Tooheys drinking brother in law won't scrunch up his nose at it like he does with every other crafty beer I get him to try [img']wink[/img] (I gave him a try of some Hop Hog one day ... funniest reaction ever !! "What the hell is this s*%t ??!! ")

Reckon this one will be a real session beer' date=' drinkable as all hell and "mainstream" enough that my Tooheys drinking brother in law won't scrunch up his nose at it like he does with every other crafty beer I get him to try [img']wink[/img] (I gave him a try of some Hop Hog one day ... funniest reaction ever !! "What the hell is this s*%t ??!! ")

G'day Xenon, Hope 002 works a treat, I think it will. wink

A wise older bloke I worked with long ago had a saying that is as true today as ever it was, " You can't educate mug's", don't ever get disheartened by other peoples opinions. smile

Cheers.

Hi Gibbo.

Firstly, thanks for the reference to my first kit based attempt at a Black IPA. smile

There's a subtle roastyness up front (kinda reminded me of a weak instant coffee)' date=' followed by a fairly strong, lasting bitterness that wasn't too overpowering. I really hope that bitterness doesn't soften too much after a month or two in the bottle -- the thought of having a big dry-hop over the top of it makes me incredibly thirsty...[/quote']

The premise of a Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale (Chad I hope you appreciate the lengths I'm going to stating the Cascadian link! tongue) is to create a very hoppy, smooth, dark malted beer with a bitterness in the same range of a typical IPA. The grain based bitterness usually associated with using typical roasted grains is bypassed by using de-bittered (husks removed) roasted grains.

The Carafa grain variants also extend in to a "Carafa Special" range. The "Special" tag relates to this de-bittered style of roasted grain. It is ideally suited for use in a Black IPA. It'll add the colour & flavour, but without the bitterness to create a very smooth dark malted flavour. The more recently introduced "Midnight Wheat" grain (used in the Midnight Mosaic Amber Ale ROTM) is also de-bittered in the same way, & is also a very good choice for this style of beer.

The style itself is meant to be consumed young while the hop character is still prominent. Beyond 2 months aged, this hop character will begin to fade & the beer will progressively drink more like a Porter/Stout.

I hope you enjoy the beer. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Firstly' date=' thanks for the reference to my first kit based attempt at a Black IPA.[/quote']

Cheers -- it's actually the first time I've made another forum member's recipe (or at least a variation), and the first time I've used specialty grains, and the first time I've done a proper hops boil. Firsts all 'round!

The premise of a Black IPA ... is to create a very hoppy' date=' smooth, dark malted beer with a bitterness in the same range of a typical IPA. The grain based bitterness usually associated with using typical roasted grains is bypassed by using de-bittered (husks removed) roasted grains.[/quote']

In truth, I was going to buy the special variants for this exact reason, but ended up getting the regular variants instead. Probably a balls-up on my part, but at least this way I have a learning opportunity -- to paraphrase the old man (he might have been talking about chefs at the time):

"Doctors get to bury their mistakes, Brewers have to drink them." biggrin

Pardon the double post...

The Carafa grain variants also extend in to a "Carafa Special" range.
I was going to buy the special variants for this exact reason' date=' but ended up getting the regular variants instead.[/quote']

I had a nagging feeling I'd ordered the carafa specials rather than the regulars so I went back and checked my purchase order -- I did indeed get the specials, so it looks like it wasn't a balls-up after all.

Happy days!

I had a nagging feeling I'd ordered the carafa specials rather than the regulars so I went back and checked my purchase order -- I did indeed get the specials' date=' so it looks like it wasn't a balls-up after all.[/quote']

Look at that as a bonus! smile

That should drink really well between say 6 to 12 weeks bottled while the hop aromas & flavours are still on the forward side. love

If you can, sneak a couple away & pour them during the winter months. You'll notice how different the beer drinks then. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

sneak a couple away & pour them during the winter months. You'll notice how different the beer drinks then.

If it tastes as good as it smells, I might have serious trouble putting some away. Maybe I'll get the wife to hide a few bottles...

Archived