Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Put a last minute brew on Saturday night whilst the Mrs was making some dessert!

had a can of Coopers real ale and 1kg LDME' date=' 250g dextrose, 20g saaz hops for 10min. boil, Coopers kit yeast. Filled to 23L but SG was too high for my liking, 1065 so I added water to 26L and achieved SG 1042.

this is my 6th batch. All different beers so far.

had everything in the cupboard but was planning on making something else with the real ale but got sick of looking for a recipe.

One thing I've started doing is keep half the bottled batch my current drinking stock pile and other half hidden in my shed. Wonder if they will improve... All brews been nice from 4 weeks old though[/quote']

I think you may be having trouble with either your hydrometer, or using your hydrometer.

The kit, 1kg LDM and 250g dextrose in 23 litres should give you an OG around 1043 (give or take a couple of points).

In 26 litres you are looking at an OG around 1038.

So your OG seems unusually high and it shouldn't drop 23 points by adding an additional 3 litres of water.

Hi Hairy,

This batch is ready, had a sample tonight and it's ok. FG was 1010, and doesn't taste too watery or malty. Must have miss measured my OG I'd say, it may have been a tad lower that 1042. Also my ingredients we're inaccurate.

All good though, certainly very drinkable. Don't mind the real ale taste, would be a good can base for a partial.

my next brew might be a dark ale or maybe an America brown. My local home brew shop has some well though out kits (dry malt extract, specialty grain and hops all in one sealed bag), might just do one of them with a Coopers can.

cheers

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Brewers. I put this brew on yesterday and it has a great krausen and I hope it all works well, it is loosely based on the Coopers Golden Ale recipe, here....

International series APA 1.7Kg

Liquid malt extract 1.3 Kg

Cara Malt 300g

Dextrose 250g

Re-cultured CCA yeast

Chinook 16g + Citra 16g + Galaxy 16g 10 minute boil and dry hop with the same day 5.

Pitched yeast at 23°C and then a few hours later into the temp control at 18°C

Looking good time will tell. wink

Cheers.

Hi Magnaman.

Your recipe looks good & should produce a very nice beer. cool How are you finding using the CCA yeast with your brewing?

I threw down my extract/partial based version of Chad's BIIPA yesterday afternoon. The smells in the kitchen were awesome! Arguably the most complex brew I've ever put together. Mini-mash, FWH'ing, separately short boiled oak chips, first time using some rye (albeit as a LME).

Colour looked really good once it was all mixed together in the FV, & just like I remembered it the first time I brewed Chad's BIIPA kit based recipe. joyful

I just hope I've got enough bitterness from the FWH additions. The numbers say I should have, but in reality it might present a little differently. unsure

This is the 1st IPA I've attempted away from a kit base so fingers crossed it all works for a great beer.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Num num num' date=' Magnaman. Sounds great. IIRC, you're a Brisvegian, so thank heavens for temp control. You certainly need it today![/quote']

G'day P2, I fortunately live north of G20 central and close to the coast, it was a peak of 31°C, that said Temp control is invaluable for me and allows for flexible brewing without the sometimes uncooperative weather constraints. smile

Hi Magnaman.

Your recipe looks good & should produce a very nice beer. cool How are you finding using the CCA yeast with your brewing?

I threw down my extract/partial based version of Chad's BIIPA yesterday afternoon. The smells in the kitchen were awesome! Arguably the most complex brew I've ever put together. Mini-mash' date=' FWH'ing, separately short boiled oak chips, first time using some rye (albeit as a LME).

Colour looked really good once it was all mixed together in the FV, & just like I remembered it the first time I brewed Chad's BIIPA kit based recipe. [img']joyful[/img]

I just hope I've got enough bitterness from the FWH additions. The numbers say I should have, but in reality it might present a little differently. unsure

This is the 1st IPA I've attempted away from a kit base so fingers crossed it all works for a great beer.

Cheers,

Anthony.

G'day Anthony, Thanks' I hope and think that the beer will be good, and what more could I hope for. I look forward to hearing about the result of your current brew, may you be rewarded with good beer. happy

I have been getting good results so far with using CCA yeast, I have made several different brews using it. smile

A couple of Sparkling Ales, one pre temp control and one with, I also used it on a OS Lager that was in my second Coopers FV purchase also a Fruit Salad Ale, got good banana flavours in the Temp control Sparkling at 21°C-22°C and it took the OG of 1056 to FG of 1008 approximately 6.7%ABV, the result was at the sweet end for my palate and next time I will add some PoR hops to give more bitterness to the mix, it gets consumed in moderation, old blokes fall asleep,. sleeping

The Fruit Salad ale was brewed at 19°C to 20°C and made a lovely beer.

I used P2’s yeast collection method after bottling the Sparkling and placed the results in 2 sanitised jars, pitched one into the for mentioned Fruit Salad and retained the second jar, I reactivated the second jar in a Erlenmeyer flask on my home made stir plate and pitched in to the current brew.

I plan on collecting from this brew when it is bottled using the P2 method, works a treat.

I’m getting an idea of handling this yeast; I have also now got some idea now of how temperature and yeast can affect flavour in a brew. It has been fun, I like learning things, an acting on that knowledge. happy

I take on board lots of input from many sources, think about it and apply it from my understanding in my circumstances, observe the results and react as I find them, all good so far. wink

Cheers.

G'day P2' date=' I fortunately live north of G20 central and close to the coast, it was a peak of 31°C, that said Temp control is invaluable for me and allows for flexible brewing without the sometimes uncooperative weather constraints.[/quote']

Are you on the Sunshine Coast, or not that far north?

That brew sounds pretty tasty -- might be just in time for an appearance over Xmas?

G'day P2' date=' I fortunately live north of G20 central and close to the coast, it was a peak of 31°C, that said Temp control is invaluable for me and allows for flexible brewing without the sometimes uncooperative weather constraints.[/quote']

Are you on the Sunshine Coast, or not that far north?

That brew sounds pretty tasty -- might be just in time for an appearance over Xmas?

G'day Gibbo, Thanks' hope it will be, could I go as far to saying just off the old Caboolture shire coast....whistlingtongue

It was supposed to be a Wee Heavy today, but after chickening out it was a Scottish 80 shilling instead. Unfortunately, the efficiency was considerably lower than expected. Again! Aut at least it smells lovely.

Scottish Export 80/-

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 35.0

Total Grain (kg): 8.100

Total Hops (g): 60.00

Est. Original Gravity (OG): 1.057 [True Original Gravity (OG):1.052]

Est. Final Gravity (FG): 1.016

Est. Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.38 % [Expected Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.9%]

Colour (SRM): 9.6 (EBC): 18.9

Bitterness (IBU): 16.9 (Average)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78

Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill

----------------

4.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (49.38%)

4.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (49.38%)

0.100 kg Dark Chocolate Malt (1.23%)

Hop Bill

----------------

30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

30.0 g Fuggles Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Mash

----------------

Mash in at 55°C for 10 Minutes

Mash at 68°C for 60 Minutes

Mash out & Sparge at 76°C

Method

----------------

10 litres First Runnings Kettle caramelised (reduced) to 3 litres

Rest of wort added to kettle and boiled 75 mins.

Fermented at 18°C with WLP004 - Irish Ale

Made up my partial mash Nelson Sauvin wheat ale last night ...

Well' date=' after 7 days of fermentation I couldn't resist and popped in a 15g Nelson Sauvin dry hop as well [img']biggrin[/img] ... it smells so good! I boiled the hop bag for a few minutes to kill any bugs, which also helped it sink down into the wort.

Well' date=' after 7 days of fermentation I couldn't resist and popped in a 15g Nelson Sauvin dry hop as well [img']biggrin[/img] ... it smells so good! I boiled the hop bag for a few minutes to kill any bugs, which also helped it sink down into the wort.

Nice One Porschemad

I have heard that those bugs can tread water for days.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi guys.

I'm working two jobs now covering all hours of the day, & fitting in brews is becoming increasingly difficult. I didn't even find enough time this past week to go & buy some grains & LME like I usually would. pouty

Being Sunday, none of the brewshops are open, so was restricted to a kit & kilo. I went down to my local Foodland to grab a Coopers Draught, as I haven't brewed one of these in a long time, so thought it might be fun to add a bit of grain & a late POR hop addition & see how it goes. I arrive in the aisle & low & behold not one Coopers Draught kit there! surprised Plenty of the other kits though. When I saw this I just started laughing. I'm guessing a few of the local chaps have been read the riot act by their SWMBO's about budgeting for Xmas! As we all know, they like to start by targeting our drinking as being a source to save money on! loltongue

...So I grabbed a Pale Ale kit instead & threw down the following...

Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg

LDM 750gms

Dextrose 200gms

Medium Crystal grain 100gms

CaraHell grain 150gms

Mosaic 20gms steeped with grains for 30 mins in 70°C water

Mosaic 25gms dry hopped

re-hydrated kit yeast

Brewed to 22 litres

Ferment @ 19°C

After bottling my Dad's midstrength brew earlier in the day, I had to get something down this weekend or fall behind leading into Xmas.

That just wasn't going to be allowed to happen! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

That one sounds very very yummy, especially with mosaic. There's some at home but I haven't tried it yet, however everyone I read about that has just loves it.

And CaraHell is one of my very favourite specialty malts; really light in colour, very mild in taste but it just seems to add something special to the final product.

Cheerio

Hi P2.

That one sounds very very yummy' date=' especially with mosaic. There's some at home but I haven't tried it yet, however everyone I read about that has just loves it.

And CaraHell is one of my very favourite specialty malts; really light in colour, very mild in taste but it just seems to add something special to the final product.[/quote']

You'll love the Mosaic once you taste your first brew with it. love

In my limited usages with it, it does appear quite versatile & oddly enough the brew I put down earlier today I had planned to do for sometime as I feel the hop could work well with the APA kit.

Time will tell on that one though. unsure

I'm hoping Scottie will get around to trying it in the Amber/ESB Ale recipe that I've urged him towards. wink

I agree with your assessment of CaraHell. I've done quite a few brews with it now, & really like it. From a kit based perspective it does seem to compliment the lighter kits like the Pale Ale quite well without interfering with the kit flavours a whole lot from the grains I've used with it so far. And at the end of the day, if you want to freshen up & extend the flavours of a kit with some grain additions, finding a grain that compliments your kit is a good thing. cool

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Kincade Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)

3 kg Maris Otter (6 EBC)

500g Munich Malt (18 EBC)

500 Wheat Malt (4 EBC)

250g Crystal Malt (120 EBC)

Mash 60 mins at 66 degrees

35g EKG for 60 mins

40g Cascade for 10 mins

1/2 Whirlfloc 10 mins

20g Chinook 5 mins

20g Cascade 3 mins

20g Chinook 1 min

BRY - 97

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brrew

Hi Scottie.

Kincade Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)

3 kg Maris Otter (6 EBC)

500g Munich Malt (18 EBC)

500 Wheat Malt (4 EBC)

250g Crystal Malt (120 EBC)

Mash 60 mins at 66 degrees

35g EKG for 60 mins

40g Cascade for 10 mins

1/2 Whirlfloc 10 mins

20g Chinook 5 mins

20g Cascade 3 mins

20g Chinook 1 min

BRY - 97

I like the look of your recipe. Nice & hoppy! cool

Don't forget to say your prayers before going to sleep tonight if using that BRY! whistling

Maybe you have a prayer of your own' date=' if not you can use mine...

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my wort to keep,

If I shall die before I come to,

Make sure that @#$%ing BRY ferments out my brew!

[img']biggrin[/img]

Good luck.

Anthony.

Hey Anthony

Thanks for your thoughts, it was going really well, nice efficiency lovely smell and a nice tasting sweet wort. Too bad it was my worst brew day ever and the BRY-97 will be the least of my worries. I fear I will have to do it all again next week.

Tears

Scottie

Valley Brew

Today is Brew Day No. 1 for my Saison - the first 10 of 20 litres. Recipe is as follows.

Grain: 1.7kg Dingeman's Pilsener, 150g Weyermann Munich, 150g Weyermann Wheat, 25g Weyermann Caramunich I

Mash: 90mins @ 67C

Adjuncts: 250g LDME, 200g dextrose

Hops: 20g EKG @ 90mins, 10g Pacific Hallertau @ 15mins, 10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh & flameout (15 minute hop stand before chilling in ice bath)

Yeast: Wyeast 3726PC Farmhouse Ale

Hoping for an OG of about 1.060 and roughly 40 IBUs. About 35 mins left in the mash and all going smoothly so far. Going to be a long night though ... then do it all again tomorrow lol

Edit: Updated hop schedule.

Today is Brew Day No. 1 for my Saison - the first 10 of 20 litres. Recipe is as follows.

Grain: 1.7kg Dingeman's Pilsener' date=' 150g Weyermann Munich, 150g Weyermann Wheat, 25g Weyermann Caramunich I

[b']Mash[/b]: 90mins @ 67C

Adjuncts: 250g LDME, 200g dextrose

Hops: 20g EKG @ 90mins, 10g Pacific Hallertau @ 15mins, 10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh & flameout (15 minute hop stand before chilling in ice bath)

Yeast: Wyeast 3726PC Farmhouse Ale

Hoping for an OG of about 1.060 and roughly 40 IBUs. About 35 mins left in the mash and all going smoothly so far. Going to be a long night though ... then do it all again tomorrow lol

Edit: Updated hop schedule.

Brew Day No. 2 of 2 for my Saison. Switched the late hops around for this half of the wort to 10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 15mins then 10g Pacific Hallertau @ flameout. That should keep things interesting!

Things went very smoothly through the mash and sparge, but then I had a slight boilover on the hot break. I can't wait till my 21 litre pot arrives - at the moment I'm boiling 8 litres of wort in a 9.5 litre pot, which is dicey at best!

It's been a while, I hope I remember how to do it.

Secret Summer Ale

Australian Pale Ale - all Aussie ingredients

4.4kg BB Ale Malt

1.1kg BB Wheat Malt

25g Summer (AA 5.4%) - First Wort Hopping

25g Vic Secret (AA 16.1%) - Whirlpool

25g Summer - Whirlpool

15g Vic Secret - dry hop

15g Summer - dry hop

Re-cultured Coopers Yeast

23 litres

OG - 1053

IBU - approx. 27 (no chill)

Recipe: IndiSon

Style: American IPA

Estimated OG: 1.061 SG

Estimated Color: 13.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 63.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

2.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)

2.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)

20.00 g Experimental Pine Fruit [14.10 %] - Boil Hop 60

50.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20m

40.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0m

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or there abouts...

Fermented with some saison something.

Hey Ben 10, that'll end up pretty malty and dark for a Saison right? What was the yeast you went with in the end (or haven't you decided yet)?

Edit: Quick update on my Saison - just did a gravity reading to check the progress after a few warm days and it is down to 1.010 already. I used Wyeast 3726PC and it is chomping through the malty goodness like a train. Wyeast say the preferred fermentation temp range is 21C to 35C - this batch was pitched at 17C and has hit a max of 25C so far.

Malty - perhaps, dark, no. 13 odd EBC.

Used the idea of the India Saison for inspiration rather than trying to clone it.

I have left over Yeast Bay Saison Blend in the fridge which I will use. I like Belle Saison but that would do odd things to an IPA style beer.

Archived