Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Mark.

I let most of my Belgians get up to or over 24 with great results. Just select your yeast based on the flavours you want.

I'm also planning a Stout at ambient temps this week which may get over recommended temps. I also have no problem with English yeasts reaching 24 (but that is the absolute top end).

In fact, any style where you WANT the esters, I believe is okay to brew higher. I never brew ales below 20C usually, and would NEVER bother brewing an ale as low as 16 unless it was a Kolsch or a Faux Lager. And even then, I'd probably just brew a Lager.

Flame suit on. ninja

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be mashing this in in a couple of hours:

Foreign Extra Stout:

24L, OG 1.060, IBU 55

5.5kg BB Ale

500g Weyermann Pale Wheat

550g Roast Barley

120g Chocolate Malt (It's all I had)

250g White Sugar

Mash @ 66C

Super Pride FWH to 55 IBU

Ferment with 1469 @ ambient, then call in the special forces to clean up.

Hi guys.

Brew day today, & a little different than normal for me. Time to get a brew going to be ready around Xmas time for my father.

These days, he drinks light to midstrength beers most of the time, mainly to appease Mum. lol

I've brewed PB2's Nelson's Light for him quite a few times now, did a midstrength version using the Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught as a base that he also liked, so this time around I felt like having a crack at one off my own back for something different. I've got a host of hops on hand & thought this mix might go down well with a bit of added freshness from a small mini-mash of grain.

Coopers Light Malt LME 1.5kg

Vienna Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 150gms

CaraHell grain 150gms

Pride Of Ringwood (9.5%AA) 15gms @ 45mins

Chinook (13.3%AA) 10gms @ 10mins

Ella (14.3%AA) 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Ella 10gms dry hopped

Riwaka 10gms dry hopped

CCA yeast gathered from slurry & used in a small DME starter

Brewed to 22 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.033

FG = approx. 1.009

IBU = 18.0

EBC = 10.5

Bottled ABV = approx. 3.5%

Here's hoping it turns out to be a nice brew for him.

Anyways I better get back to it, the mini-mash is almost done... wink

Cheers,

Anthony

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I pitched the yeast at about 22° and it has since warmed about to about 25° so I'm trying to maintain that temperature for now.

This is the quickest yeast I've ever used, sealed it all up at about 9:30 pm and by the time I woke up at 7 am the krausen had already begun to form. Also I've never had a brew with this much aeration which obviously helped.

B1eLyb2CMAIz0-R.jpg

Ben - I ran out of cold water so I topped it up to 22lt ;)

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Looks like a nice brew for your Dad Lusty. Is he a fan of hoppy beers?

The last time my Dad had one of my brews (Canadian Blonde tin with some late Calypso) he said "Whoa, it tastes like something else. Like hops" biggrin

I'm right with you there, Mark. It's a really good and reassuring sign when 12 hours after pitching the krausen is several inches thick and "looks" like the consistency of whipped thick cream or mashed potato.

Great job (and to belle saison too).

Trip to LHBS today after "starsan brew" resulted in double brew nite-

EB

1 x Coopers EB can

1kg DME

250g medium crystal

30g fuggles (30+ min post boil steep)

? 25g fuggles dry hop ?

SO4 yeast (pitched at 20 degrees C)

23L

OG 1040

fG 1013(Est)

5% abv (bottle)

Cider

1 x 1.7 blackrock cider can

3 x 3L Apple and pear juice

MJ cider yeast (pitched at 20 degrees C)

23L

No stats sorry

In brew fridge set at 20 degrees C

Cheers.

Hey Koo wee

That English Bitter sounds like a cracker, Fuggles steeped and added to a kit that is late hopped with Styrian Goldings = love.

If you are thinking twice about the Dry Hop, as the ? indicate, I'd say leave it out and save the Fuggles for another brew, I bet after you taste this one it will be another EB for sure.

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Recipe: Kingpin II

Style: American IPA

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 28.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 63.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

5.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann)

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)

0.05 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White)

30.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Mt. Hood [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Santiam [6.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Mt. Hood [5.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

20.00 g Santiam [6.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santiam. lol

This guy... lol

You keep coming up with hops that I've never heard of man.

Well, I'm still working on the recipe, but I've taken yours and Hairy's advice and bought some rye, and some Riwaka on Lusty's recommendation.

I'm finally going to make something along the lines of Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale. I will swap the Vienna for Munich, however, and some of the rye for wheat. The Golden Ale doesn't have wheat in the recipe at all, but I want to put some in there. I will also swap the Victoria hops for Riwaka & Cascade. So really not that similar at all. rolleyes

Do you reckon 500g rye will be enough to flavour the beer?

Here's what I decided on:

Ryewakascade APA

24L 1.044 32.5IBU

3kg BB Pale

500g Munich I

500g Rye

300g Wheat

200g Carabohemian

200g Sugar

Mash @ 66

17g Centennial FWH

45g Cascade @ FO

45g Riwaka @ FO

Ferment @ 20c with 1272

If I'm feeling crazy I might dry hop too.

Estimated FG 1.009

Nice looking recipe(s) Ben & Philbo. cool

I haven't used Santiam before, but have used Mt. Hood a number of times & quite like it.

Trying to get my head around how the spiciness presents from rye malt, how does it compare with the spiciness produced by say the Saaz hop in the end beer? unsure

I'm glad you're giving the Riwaka a go Philbo. I think it was in that oaked Coopers IPA I gave you last year that you said you liked? unsure

I was thinking just yesterday while drinking a few different brews of mine, that my brewing has become a little one dimensional of late. pouty The beers still taste good & drink well, but despite a lot of hop changes each time, are using a very similar malt base that I've been using over & over for sometime now with my pale ales.

Your recipes have prompted me to move on and use a few new grains.

CaraAroma, CaraVienne, CaraMunich, Rye, & a few others are on the cards.

Good luck with the brews guys. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Trying to get my head around how the spiciness presents from rye malt' date=' how does it compare with the spiciness produced by say the Saaz hop in the end beer? [img']unsure[/img]

Black peppery. exotic, very nice!

Watch out for for very thick mash/wort! The rye can make for some real problems when transferring from vessel to vessel (MT-BK, BK-FV). Adding rice hulls to the mash can help this problem

Hi Chad.

Trying to get my head around how the spiciness presents from rye malt' date=' how does it compare with the spiciness produced by say the Saaz hop in the end beer? [img']unsure[/img]

Black peppery. exotic, very nice!

Watch out for for very thick mash/wort! The rye can make for some real problems when transferring from vessel to vessel (MT-BK, BK-FV). Adding rice hulls to the mash can help this problem

Thanks for the info about the Rye. Do you reckon it's better suited in higher gravity beers (above 1.050)? I got the feeling it might be? unsure

Just a heads up Lusty' date=' Nige has Riwaka and NZ Cascade on sale ATM.[/quote']

Thanks for the heads up mate. I almost placed an order with Nigel on Wednesday just past, but thought I might take this weekend off from brewing as I have 2 kegs on the go, 2 FV's with beer in them, & plenty of bottled stock atm. Plus when I order from Nigel I like to give him a decent order to make it worth his while as he is kind enough to home deliver. cool

I'll place a good order with him next week. biggrin

The wort smells GREAT boiling' date=' as I was heating to boil it smelt like rye bread.[/quote']

I hope that kilo of rye malt in the recipe didn't cause a massive stuck mash that it did turn into a loaf of bread Ben?!! tongue

Hehe! biggrinwink

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Anthony.

The wort smells GREAT boiling' date=' as I was heating to boil it smelt like rye bread.[/quote']

I hope that kilo of rye malt in the recipe didn't cause a massive stuck mash that it did turn into a loaf of bread Ben?!! tongue

I use a bag and it was VERY heavy to lift and drained for 3/4 of an hour.

Hi all,

3rd brew down yesterday. coopers apa,1kg ldme,250gm of crystal,steeped.

10 gm cascade and amarillo,5 gm nelson sauvin @ 10mins,0mins and dry.

Used kit yeast,saving the 05 for the arrival of me fridgehappy.

Little darker in colour than expected.No lovibond on the MJ cracked crystal grain

at LHBS.

Thought id try the hop additions i read on the forum,cant remember who posted,

big thanks though,if it tastes half as good as my place smelled,ill be well chuffed.

pleased to meet you all,lurked for a while,finally got my rear into gear and post.

Cheers. T

I was nervous when mashing in, but it seems 500g is not enough to experience the lautering problems that rye is famous for.

Drained to kettle easily, and nice and clear too. I'm wondering if I should have used more rye or left the Munich out? unsure I didn't get much of a different aroma to usual. Mind you, that was a couple of cigars down. innocent

The Riwaka smelled incredible. I may dry hop this one if I end up with enough time to CC. I'd certainly like to Polyclar the hell out of it. Chill haze is beginning to be an annoyance. annoyed

Archived